Name
Sharon Lane
Country
United States
City/State
Texas
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Update: After extensive research and modifying what I can physically carry, I purchased the Shimoda Action X50 with the pro mirrorless insert. Currently "playing" with configurations.

I have just switched to Sony and my old backpack is pretty worn. I will also be traveling to Panama later this year and (of course) want to take everything!
Issues: I'm vertically challenged (5'5"), older (not saying) and currently recovering from ankle replacement surgery.

Here is a list of what I would like to take:
Sony A1
200-600mm
70-200mm
plus a landscape/general lens that hasn't been purchased yet
1.4 TC
FotoPro e-6H Eagle Gimbel
Tripod (have several)
Samsung SSD T7 Shield
RavPower Filehub Travel Router
Swarovkski 8.5x42 bins
batteries, cables, cleaning supplies, rain gear for camera & lenses

I am sure I'm forgetting something but . . .
This will be my personal carry on (so has to fit under seat) for American and then regional. I will have a roll on that will go in overhead.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Thoughts?
TIA

Last edited:
Hire a Gurkha :D

More seriously, Vanguard Alta Sky are huge and should hold all you need, as should the biggest Manfrotto. I have a Manfrotto and it;s a very tough and comfortable rucksack, so I would say have a look at those.

Thinktank do a lot that are tailored towards air travel and the quality is excellent.

I'll bet a pound though that you won't get that lot in a carry on for domestic flights.

The problem with The Alta Sky is it weighs a lot empty, and there's no way it'll go under a seat. I have the Alta Sky 51D, empty weight is almost 6-1/2 lbs. I ended up with the Peak Design 30L, which comes in at 3.5 lbs. It will hold the 200-600 with a body attached plus a few other things.

Frankly, your list is pretty long and heavy. I don't know if you can fit all of that in a carry on. You may want to consider a case to carry it in, and a day bag to take with you what you'll need that day.

My backpack which fits my 200-600mm also is the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW III. Super comfortable, super well made and is surprisingly compact. It looks like I'm wearing a normal sized school bag.

This is what it's capabilities are.

View attachment 32575

There are a ton of bags that will fit that combo but what are the other things you are looking for in a bag? Do you want it to open from the front or the back? Maybe the top or side as well? Do you need it to have space for a specific size laptop? Do you have a price point you want to stay under?
I have been considering a new bag myself and have a the following short list all of which will fit the 200-600+ attached body (no particular order):
Manfrotto Pro Light Multiloader
Tenba Axis 24L or 32L
MindShift FirstLight 30L
Lowepro Whistler Backpack 350 AW II
MindShift Gear BackLight 36L

I use a Think Tank Glass Limo, it will take a 200-600 with camera, TC and hood attached and the beauty is that all is ready for action. Unzip and ready to click!! Could also fit a 70-200. Very light too, just over 1kg. 1st pic is mine, 2nd is from makers. Probably too big for carry on though.

Attachments

• IMG_2064.jpeg
    IMG_2064.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47
  • GlassLimo-SNY-A1GRIP2006005663HE-7020028-247028-2.jpg
    GlassLimo-SNY-A1GRIP2006005663HE-7020028-247028-2.jpg
    506.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hire a Gurkha :D

More seriously, Vanguard Alta Sky are huge and should hold all you need, as should the biggest Manfrotto. I have a Manfrotto and it;s a very tough and comfortable rucksack, so I would say have a look at those.
Actually keep waiting for a Star Trek case, fill it up and it follows you!! :giggle:

I use a Think Tank Glass Limo, it will take a 200-600 with camera, TC and hood attached and the beauty is that all is ready for action. Unzip and ready to click!! Could also fit a 70-200. Very light too, just over 1kg. 1st pic is mine, 2nd is from makers. Probably too big for carry on though.
I have close to this, but it won't hold everything AND won't go under seat. I use mine for when I am driving around and it is in the seat next to me.

Thinktank do a lot that are tailored towards air travel and the quality is excellent.

I'll bet a pound though that you won't get that lot in a carry on for domestic flights.
I have several Thinktanks from other camera setups and they are good and on my short list.

I am good at creative packing but you are probably right, it will be the weight is my guess. AND I forgot to list a 13" laptop! :cautious:

There are a ton of bags that will fit that combo but what are the other things you are looking for in a bag? Do you want it to open from the front or the back? Maybe the top or side as well? Do you need it to have space for a specific size laptop? Do you have a price point you want to stay under?
I have been considering a new bag myself and have a the following short list all of which will fit the 200-600+ attached body (no particular order):
Manfrotto Pro Light Multiloader
Tenba Axis 24L or 32L
MindShift FirstLight 30L
Lowepro Whistler Backpack 350 AW II
MindShift Gear BackLight 36L
Good questions. For travel I am thinking open in the back but I have never used one, so . . . Top opening maybe for bins. I would like to take my laptop (13") but can do without using the hub and ssd. I do have a price limit but it keeps moving.

Several of those are on my shortlist as well. I have the MindShift Gear Backlight 26L and really like it and will use for non-travel.

Have you looked at:
Wandrd PRVKE
f-stop (have several ultra light)
Kiboka V2.0 30L
Shimoda Designs Action or Explore

My backpack which fits my 200-600mm also is the Lowepro Flipside 400 AW III. Super comfortable, super well made and is surprisingly compact. It looks like I'm wearing a normal sized school bag.

View attachment 32575
Looks great and would probably hold everything but from your avatar you look like a big guy! I am 5'5" so a little vertically challenged. I think I have looked at that one and decided it was too tall.

View attachment 32575
I've been thinking about this or the 300 variant. Do you know if the waist belt can be removed on the 400? Thanks in advance.

I've been thinking about this or the 300 variant. Do you know if the waist belt can be removed on the 400? Thanks in advance.

I have had the Flipside 200 since the start which I have always been extremely impressed with, so when I wanted another backpack which can hold my big lens as well, well once the dimensions lined up it was a no brainer really.

The waist belt is fixed unfortunately which I never use so it just hangs down, but it doesn't cause any dramas so it's all good. I'll probably see if I can get it removed by a tailor one day but that's definitely not near the top of my priority list if I'm being honest.

I done 18km with the 400 on Saturday in 33° heat, it's extremely comfortable and dissipates heat quite well too.

I have just switched to Sony and my old backpack is pretty worn. I will also be traveling to Panama later this year and (of course) want to take everything!
Issues: I'm vertically challenged (5'5"), older (not saying) and currently recovering from ankle replacement surgery.

Here is a list of what I would like to take:
Sony A1
200-600mm
70-200mm
plus a landscape/general lens that hasn't been purchased yet
1.4 TC
FotoPro e-6H Eagle Gimbel
Tripod (have several)
Samsung SSD T7 Shield
RavPower Filehub Travel Router
Swarovkski 8.5x42 bins
batteries, cables, cleaning supplies, rain gear for camera & lenses

I am sure I'm forgetting something but . . .
This will be my personal carry on (so has to fit under seat) for American and then regional. I will have a roll on that will go in overhead.

Suggestions? Recommendations? Thoughts?
TIA
i have the mindshift gear bag backlight 18l a9ii-a7rii-200-600-24-105-85mm 1.8 etc

Attachments

• mindshift copy.jpg
    mindshift copy.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 40
I needed a roller to take the A1 + 200-600, and A7R4 + 70-200 GM II, and both teleconverters. I found the Tenba Cine Luxe Roller 21 (was looking for a Shimoda, but this is quite similar). It holds both bodies and lenses with the cameras mounted, hoods reversed. It’s not a light bag, but being able to roll it works for me. I don’t if it will suit the OP, but thought I’d mention it as an option.

It cost a bit, but love my Gitzo 45L. I drive out to desert roads in Southern California, and appreciate the super thick padding that cushions my gear.

How’s you go with all that stuff?

I can’t take all my gear as carry-on. The 200-600 just fits in my Crumpler shoulder bag but it’s a struggle with an iPad. I have an aluminum suitcase with diced foam inserts for the camera body and 5 primes, battery charger and spare cards. That ducks under the 9kg limit with a couple kg to spare in case they weigh my shoulder bag.

I’ve had a monopod and a selfie stick, and a pair of tweezers, taken off me by security so I put my tripod/monopod in baggage these days.

Back