Sony A9 II Need recommendations for remote shutter release for A9 II

MikeInMI

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michael Allie
I'm new to Sony and have an A9 II. I need a remote trigger and my uses would be: (1) to release the shutter when the camera is on a tripod; (2) to release the shutter when I am taking a group shot and I am in the picture.

There seem to be a number of options. I'd appreciate any recommendations you have. I see a unit or two that uses bluetooth and I'm concerned I'll always be delayed by having to pair the unit. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to for functionality I don't need, but I'd rather spend more and get the right one than not spend enough.

I understand I can do some of this from my smartphone, but don't like that option very much as the phone periodically will go into power saving mode, and also I don't know how much screwing around one has to do with bluetooth pairing.

I'm new to Sony and have an A9 II. I need a remote trigger and my uses would be: (1) to release the shutter when the camera is on a tripod; (2) to release the shutter when I am taking a group shot and I am in the picture.

There seem to be a number of options. I'd appreciate any recommendations you have. I see a unit or two that uses bluetooth and I'm concerned I'll always be delayed by having to pair the unit. I don't want to spend any more money than I have to for functionality I don't need, but I'd rather spend more and get the right one than not spend enough.

I understand I can do some of this from my smartphone, but don't like that option very much as the phone periodically will go into power saving mode, and also I don't know how much screwing around one has to do with bluetooth pairing.
Hi, Mike, I use the one below and I have never had a problem if you want to save cash there are plenty of cheap wired ones on Amazon that also work fine I keep that as a backup in case I forget to put in a spare battery in the bag

Sony RMT-P1BT Professional Bluetooth Wireless Remote Commander​

Hi, Mike, I use the one below and I have never had a problem if you want to save cash there are plenty of cheap wired ones on Amazon that also work fine I keep that as a backup in case I forget to put in a spare battery in the bag

Sony RMT-P1BT Professional Bluetooth Wireless Remote Commander​

Thank you. It says it is bluetooth. When you turn it on, how much delay is there, or how much effort is involved, in getting it to pair each time. Is it just a one-time thing, or is there some effort each time you turn it on?

I too frequently use the RMT-P1BT remote. It has been trouble free. Even though battery life is good, be sure and carry an extra battery in your kit. The only time that I have replaced the battery in nearly a year is when I put the remote away in my bag and left the switch on the side in the unlocked position. Im guessing that locked also means power off.

Thank you. It says it is bluetooth. When you turn it on, how much delay is there, or how much effort is involved, in getting it to pair each time. Is it just a one-time thing, or is there some effort each time you turn it on?
Occasionally it needs to be repaired, but most of the time it's ready to go when you turn it on the camera. However, if you want to use it with two different cameras then you'll need to repair it each time you switch. Also like Jeff said, a spare battery is a must as although it lasts for quite some time, it will die at some point and you won't get any warning.

I use the trigger delay function for tripod of self portraits. 10 seconds should be plenty.

Occasionally it needs to be repaired, but most of the time it's ready to go when you turn it on the camera. However, if you want to use it with two different cameras then you'll need to repair it each time you switch. Also like Jeff said, a spare battery is a must as although it lasts for quite some time, it will die at some point and you won't get any warning.
I have made it a habit to say "re-paired" to distinguish it from "repaired" (as in, off to be fixed!). It can be awfully confusing, otherwise.

I have made it a habit to say "re-paired" to distinguish it from "repaired" (as in, off to be fixed!). It can be awfully confusing, otherwise.
I didn't even think about that, although my grammar is appalling! Will definitely add a hyphen to all future uses though, providing I don't forget this conversation! Cheers Tony :)

Back