Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The new but heavier lens has caused me to make a few changes to my setting's.
When I had take my left off the lens the camera the camera would dip down and this would let the side of my right palm
hit the right button(ISO) and this in turn would change my ISO.
I would get home and see that my ISO was all over the place and I decided to go into the back yard and do a few tests.
This is when I noticed what I put above happening.

So I moved the ISO to custom button 3 and the right button now has no value, until I find something to put there.
But I done an outing today and came home with photo and the ISO just where I set it.
But this is the beauty of the custom button set up as with out it, I would of had to find a new way of holding the camera to stop that from happening.

I would be wary of using the 150-600mm lens and trying to support the weight by holding the camera. Not only is the lens heavy, but it’s long, so that weight has a lot of leverage. And all that leverage is trying to rip the lens mount out of the camera body. Ok, that’s phrasing it emotively, but you get the idea. The lens mount is pretty strong, but even if you just bent the mount or the chassis a teeny tiny bit you’d start to see some softness in your images on the top or bottom.

If you can’t support the lens with your left hand, get a tripod or monopod. Having the lens support the camera isn’t a problem at all, because the body is lighter, and has very little leverage.

I would be wary of using the 150-600mm lens and trying to support the weight by holding the camera. Not only is the lens heavy, but it’s long, so that weight has a lot of leverage. And all that leverage is trying to rip the lens mount out of the camera body. Ok, that’s phrasing it emotively, but you get the idea. The lens mount is pretty strong, but even if you just bent the mount or the chassis a teeny tiny bit you’d start to see some softness in your images on the top or bottom.

If you can’t support the lens with your left hand, get a tripod or monopod. Having the lens support the camera isn’t a problem at all, because the body is lighter, and has very little leverage.
The times this happens is when I am using the zoom and once I have all things worked out I am sure it will be good. But I do understand where you are coming from and I have come for a relatively light lens in the 400 mm to this one so changes have to be made.

Ralph, when I'm sitting for a period of time, I use a monopod to support the camera and lens, mounted to the tripod foot of the lens.

Because monopods can be a pain in small areas, I extend the leg only far enough to rest it on the chair seat between my legs, with the viewfinder at eye height. That way the camera is ready to go, but the leg isn't extended so long as to be a problem, and I don't have to hold the weight. I use a wrist strap or shortened neck strap for safety in case of a slip.

Ralph, when I'm sitting for a period of time, I use a monopod to support the camera and lens, mounted to the tripod foot of the lens.

Because monopods can be a pain in small areas, I extend the leg only far enough to rest it on the chair seat between my legs, with the viewfinder at eye height. That way the camera is ready to go, but the leg isn't extended so long as to be a problem, and I don't have to hold the weight. I use a wrist strap or shortened neck strap for safety in case of a slip.
I have got it worked out and it was week one of owning this larger and heavier lens and there was always going to be teething problems.
When I walk I have got it cradled in my arms and this stops any undue pressure.
And I am working out the zoom on it and the more I use it the lest that is going to happen.
I have tried the mono and tripods and I just can't get use to them. But as I said the teething problems will get better with each outing.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back