Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
California
There are rumours of a new APS-C camera ... what would make you buy it?
If we get the AF of the A-1 ... I might upgrade...

I saw that rumour too.......and I would definitely consider upgrading from my A6400

I don't think I've reached the limit of my a6400 yet, so I'm not looking to upgrade, but that said... I wish I had better low light performance and IBIS. The A7C's flippy screen would also be nice.

A bigger body so that I could actually hold the damn thing!

Surely you don't have that problem with the A7RIV?
Nope, but I tried the A9 (original) and would need the extender for the grip. All of the APSC cameras are tiny and I'd get cramp trying to hold them. I need a decent sized lump to hold.

Nope, but I tried the A9 (original) and would need the extender for the grip. All of the APSC cameras are tiny and I'd get cramp trying to hold them. I need a decent sized lump to hold.
Ahh understood. I have thought about the SmallRig cage, but since I have a variety of mounting requirements (small gimbal, mini & normal tripods, hand-held) I have not yet embraced the idea of the cage+grip combo... but it does look pretty cool!
3164-1__53049.1605681773.jpg

Ahh understood. I have thought about the SmallRig cage, but since I have a variety of mounting requirements (small gimbal, mini & normal tripods, hand-held) I have not yet embraced the idea of the cage+grip combo... but it does look pretty cool!
3164-1__53049.1605681773.jpg
Yeah they look cool, I agree. Not sure how comfortable they would feel. I'd really want to test one out.

For a flagship aps-c hope they do not use a7c design unless they put a bigger grip on it ,a revamped one might be ok but would need front dial and joystick also with updated evf ,i am still tempted by the a7c as a second camera just because it is so compact and could keep in my jacket pocket ,as far as the non stacked sensor cameras go it has the best AF tracking ,be really nice if they made a r version ,most of the time i hold the lens /support which holds the camera ,if you have big pinkies i can see a problem though ,i also mount my 200-600mm on a wimberley mono pod gimbal a lot of the time also so i am not to worried about camera size per se ,but yes a a6/a7000 aps-c with stacked sensor and 32mp would be very compelling ,i am sure they can release one now but will probably wait for the mirrorless canon aps-c 7dmk2 replacement which is in the pipe line ,good job we have canon forcing the competition ,had r5 not been developed would we of seen a A1 so soon.? Anyway the mp race is another dimension camera divisions enjoy the first to 100mp will continue possibly next year with a 7 r 5 ,we sort of know canon will make a 80 mp sensor .

I'm willing to bet if they make this hypothetical camera it will be based on the a6600, so it would have the Z battery and a deeper grip (similar to the difference between an a6600 and a6400).
I would be tempted to upgrade to something like that next year instead of going to the A7C since I have so much invested in APSC lenses. I don't so much care if they have the front dial, but it would be a nice to have. My "must have" would be IBIS.

I'm willing to bet if they make this hypothetical camera it will be based on the a6600, so it would have the Z battery and a deeper grip (similar to the difference between an a6600 and a6400).
I would be tempted to upgrade to something like that next year instead of going to the A7C since I have so much invested in APSC lenses. I don't so much care if they have the front dial, but it would be a nice to have. My "must have" would be IBIS.
Lucky i have not invested in aps-c lenses although the 70-350mm on a apsc would be a great walk about lens .the only one that interests me

Prepare for disappointment:

Same 24mp sensor, no significant upgrade over a6400/a6600. Not tickling my gear-acquisition-syndrome. My wife can stop worrying about the credit card now :ROFLMAO:

Yes ill give that a miss a vlogging camera ,might as well get an iphone .
I watch several vlogs where the youtuber uses an iphone to great effect.
I however, want to use my APSC for great photos as well as the monthly/fortnightly youtube video, so yeah I'm disappointed that signs are not pointing at a new APSC sensor. Plus the A7C flippy screen would be a nice upgrade from the a6400's vertical tilter.

Does anyone know.......did the announcement actually come out?? I cannot find any information on it.

...... All of the APSC cameras are tiny and I'd get cramp trying to hold them. I need a decent sized lump to hold.
Agree... for APSC and RX100s. You think APSCs are bad, try the RX100; You don't need hands, you can hold entire camera between your eyelids they're so small! Well,,, maybe not that small. :rolleyes:

So what to do? Jerry-rig a platform. They look god-awful gaudy, but they work! And I'm too old to worry about appearances. That ship has sailed.

Attachments

• Handle platform.jpg
    Handle platform.jpg
    579.4 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Agree... for APSC and RX100s. You think APSCs are bad, try the RX100; You don't need hands, you can hold entire camera between your eyelids they're so small!

So what to do? Jerry-rig a platform. They look god-awful gaudy, but they work! And I'm too old to worry about appearances. That ship has sailed.
Is that an external battery pack you jerry-rigged into that half-cage? Hey, can't knock it if it works!

It's technically not a cage, but rather a flat flash bar with a reciprocating mount and a handle attached. Not rocket science.

It gives you something to grip, plus handle adds stability. And the external batteries outlast the BX-1s by 4 times. But it won't fit in shirt pocket anymore.

Back