Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Daniel Schuffert
Country
United States
Hi All,

I joined this site last week. After 15+ years of Nikon gear, a lot of research, and trying new equipment, I decided to move to Sony. I sold all my DSLR and Mirrorless bodies along with all my Nikon glass to fund my Sony purchases. I purchased an a7R IV, 24-70mm 2.8GM, 24mm 1.4GM, 90mm 2.8 Macro G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G. I look forward to learning this new equipment as well as learning from everyone here!

Thanks,
Dan

Welcome! Nikon convert here as well. Some people told me it was a bold change, but besides the process of having to sell your previous bodies/lenses, you'll notice the switch to be really pleasant (I'll forever miss the top LCD's, though!)

Welcome! Nikon convert here as well. Some people told me it was a bold change, but besides the process of having to sell your previous bodies/lenses, you'll notice the switch to be really pleasant (I'll forever miss the top LCD's, though!)
Thank you. I am pleasantly surprised that I am not really missing my Nikon gear. The way too slow release of the Z lenses is what prompted me to start looking elsewhere. I was also getting concerned about the financial health of Nikon and the impact that might have on future products and the quality of those products. It was enough for me to objectively look at the other options out there. I took my time, borrowed different gear from friends to try, rented other gear, and then came to the conclusion of the A7R4 with Sony glass and I am really enjoying the switch.

Thank you. I am pleasantly surprised that I am not really missing my Nikon gear. The way too slow release of the Z lenses is what prompted me to start looking elsewhere. I was also getting concerned about the financial health of Nikon and the impact that might have on future products and the quality of those products. It was enough for me to objectively look at the other options out there. I took my time, borrowed different gear from friends to try, rented other gear, and then came to the conclusion of the A7R4 with Sony glass and I am really enjoying the switch.
Almost same page! I'd say my work is about 60% video - 40% stills, so I grew tired of waiting for Nikon to step up their filming game. Part of it is video quality itself, but other major item is autofocus. Sony's is unbeatable, period. Nikon's financial status was also a concern of mine, as well. And because of it, when evaluating different ecosystems, one of the major considerations was making sure I could stay within the platform for long. That involves both company's finances as well as technical stuff, such as the E mount; considering my photo-video perspective, once I decide to jump onto, say, an FX# in the future, I can still use the same lenses.

Hi All,

I joined this site last week. After 15+ years of Nikon gear, a lot of research, and trying new equipment, I decided to move to Sony. I sold all my DSLR and Mirrorless bodies along with all my Nikon glass to fund my Sony purchases. I purchased an a7R IV, 24-70mm 2.8GM, 24mm 1.4GM, 90mm 2.8 Macro G, 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G. I look forward to learning this new equipment as well as learning from everyone here!

Thanks,
Dan
Welcome Dan and thank you for joining up here! If you have any questions about your new Sony gear of this site please don't hesitate to ask!

Welcome Dan and thank you for joining up here! If you have any questions about your new Sony gear of this site please don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks! I am learning a lot from others on this forum and their posts.

Yes, me too! We'll all learn together from these wise Sony people.
Where did you find a good place to sell your Nikon stuff? EBay fees are a killer.

Where did you find a good place to sell your Nikon stuff? EBay fees are a killer.
fredmiranda is a good place to sell stuff real quick as far as you have good feedback in other forum

I’m curious why the additional 24mm in your kit. What do you do with that 1.4 lens That the 24 2.8 can’t? Genuinely curious as I’m lens hunting also.

Check my gallery, plenty of samples taken with the 135GM f1.8
Stunning shots in there. the 85 1.8 is a dream. I’m not wholly convinced if the 135 needs a focus calibration. Might just be my eyes but doesn’t appear tack sharp at focus point. I know with my L lenses I got amazing results using the https://www.reikanfocal.com/ system. Well worth the investment.

I sold all my gear on MPB (https://www.mpb.com/en-us/). I looked at a few places like B&H and BEH. MPB seemed to work the best for me, overall had the highest buy price, and was too easy to use. Within a week I had the money deposited in my checking account.

I used to sell on eBay but got tired of all the fees and once in a while someone trying to scam me. I have also sold gear on the Nikonians site (https://www.nikonians.org) which was always a good experience but still have to deal with PayPal fees.

Back