New Sony 70-200 f/2.8 GM mark II

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
So Sony finally announced the Mark II of their 70-200 f/2.8.

Headline improvement: dropped the weight to just barely over 1kg - that is impressive. Plus the usual, sharper, fewer aberrations, sings, dances, but does not make coffee!

Interesting, it does not extend (like the 200-600mm). I like that.

So, will you be asking Santa for one of these?

Headline improvement: dropped the weight to just barely over 1kg - that is impressive. Plus the usual, sharper, fewer aberrations, sings, dances, but does not make coffee!

The problem is, is that I AM SANTA, and the reality is that Santa's pockets are not as deep as need be.

It will no doubt be brilliant, but will it be £1550 more brilliant than the Tamron 70 180? I seriously doubt it. That's a seriously expensive lens, and it's actually not the most useful range for many.

The pre-order price in my city is $4000, and that’s too high for me to pre-order. TBH, the Tamron doesn’t interest me. I could be enticed by the new lens when it reaches, oh, $1000 :cool: (OK, maybe a bit more…)

Just put a deposit down on one. I'd literally just bought the MkI version a few days earlier. Got a full refund on that. Also now waiting for the 24-700 GM MkII to come out. It's all a retirement present to myself; together with a A7R iv. Hey, you can't take it with you and there ain't no pockets in shrouds.

Just put a deposit down on one. I'd literally just bought the MkI version a few days earlier. Got a full refund on that. Also now waiting for the 24-700 GM MkII to come out. It's all a retirement present to myself; together with a A7R iv. Hey, you can't take it with you and there ain't no pockets in shrouds.
I don't think I'd want a 24-700mm lens - I don't like super-zooms, and that's a zoom ratio of almost 30x.

I can't afford to retire - there are too many toys I still want to buy :unsure:🙃

I don't think I'd want a 24-700mm lens - I don't like super-zooms, and that's a zoom ratio of almost 30x.

I can't afford to retire - there are too many toys I still want to buy :unsure:🙃
Love it. 24-700mm!!!! Neither would I. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm waiting for my lense. I, as well, pre-order it. Just the fact that is lighter sold me.

I picked up my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 OSS GM Mk II on Tuesday. Nice and light, but still well built. The autofocus is sooooo quick. :D

I picked up my Sony 70-200mm f2.8 OSS GM Mk II on Tuesday. Nice and light, but still well built. The autofocus is sooooo quick. :D
Wow! I thought we had to wait till mid-December to get the zoom. Maybe only the USA has that wait. Today, I just got the Tamron 35-150 because it just seems be the more logical choice for me at this time. Congratulations on getting the lens. :)

Wow! I thought we had to wait till mid-December to get the zoom. Maybe only the USA has that wait. Today, I just got the Tamron 35-150 because it just seems be the more logical choice for me at this time. Congratulations on getting the lens. :)
I watched a few video reviews of the Tamron yesterday. It get's great reviews and it's considerably cheaper than the Sony. But I'd already bought the Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM, so the Sony 70-200 GM Mk II seemed a logical choice. If I hadn't already bought the Sony 24-70mm; I may well have gone for the Tamron. I also bought the Sony 20mm f1.8. G. Those three lenses should meet all my needs.

I wandered into my local dealer on the weekend, and they had stock of this lens. I made the mistake of picking it up - it's so much lighter than a "normal" 70-200/2.8!

My credit card bill now has a 70-200mm size hole in it :( - oh, well, I know what I'm getting (got) for Christmas.

Took it for a quick spin, and found that it's all true - it's very fast to focus, even in dim light; it is fixed length (internal zoom and focus); and it has full-time DMF. The focus speed may be attributable to it using four linear motors on two focus groups like the recent 50 GM and the 135 GM.

I don't know it they have managed to fill it with helium, or something, to make it far lighter, but it works. They did manage to reduce the number of elements, using some neat tricks like making an extreme aspheric element out of ED glass, so it simultaneously reduces spherical and chromatic aberrations.

So let me warn you - if the idea of a light / fast / really good 70-200 is tempting, DO NOT go near this lens without pre-approval from the finance department...

Thanks to getting the Tamron 35-150 makes it possible for me to now trade in the 24-105 G and the 70-200 GM for the mark II. I'm hoping I end up with the credit hole for less than the mark II for two lenses. But thanks to timing in the USA, if I cannot get the lens by the 11th then I have to hang onto the mark I.

No word from BH on mine. Maybe tomorrow.
Good luck!

I think that sometimes we smaller countries get the first shipments of a new camera or lens because the company can fill every order in our country with a small shipment. Dropping the same size shipment in the US would just generate complaints: "How come he got his when I didn't get mine?". I got a new model camera in December one year when no one in the US had one before late January. I did not complain 🙃

I hope you get yours this year.

Thanks to getting the Tamron 35-150 makes it possible for me to now trade in the 24-105 G and the 70-200 GM for the mark II. I'm hoping I end up with the credit hole for less than the mark II for two lenses. But thanks to timing in the USA, if I cannot get the lens by the 11th then I have to hang onto the mark I.
Latest update from BH is begin shipping on 16 Dec. And then it depends on how far you are down the list. I know they have several hundred on backorder. My friend is 274 and he ordered a month ago. I ordered much earlier but don't know where I am.

Latest update from BH is begin shipping on 16 Dec. And then it depends on how far you are down the list. I know they have several hundred on backorder. My friend is 274 and he ordered a month ago. I ordered much earlier but don't know where I am.
Crikey, I was lucky to get mine so soon. Got it three weeks ago. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

BH update now they are hoping for end of Dec or first of Jan.

I'm on the local store list. Smaller list so hopefully I will get it before next year. This privately owned store has surprised me more than once this year with getting the stock before BH.

Wow, they can't make up their mind! It's to bad I can't be a little more mature about this, it's only a camera. Yea, right!

I got mine today (Sweden). It's quite noticeable lighter.

I finally had a chance to trade in my gear for the GM II. Looks like I might be waiting till next year for the zoom though. I was too far down the list to get the ones that already came in at the local store. Trade in values are going down. Bummed that I had to wait till after the 11th to do this. The old GM did me good and on the 11th it was indeed needed so at least I had a valid reason to keep it through the 11th.

Just curious, what did they give you fot trade in, I’m going to sell mine. Really don’t know how much to ask, in excellent condition.

$1,400. Which is about what I expected since I normally expect slightly more that 50% on the full retail value. Used prices at stores are around $1,800 or higher.

Didn't Sony US announce shipping on 24 December?

Looks like some of our friends will be missing out on their Christmas present.

The have started shipping earlier than they said last time I spoke with them. Mine has been riding around on a FedEx truck for 2 days now, uuugh. I ordered on Oct 20th.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back