Why I will be keeping the 70-200 f/2.8 GM II...

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

AlphaWorld

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
On impulse, I decide to take the 70-200 GM II today instead of the 70-200 G II that I've been trying out for the past few weeks.

I visited the local open-range zoo, and started by visiting the lions (I like lions). I am glad I did. The lions welcomed three cubs 10 weeks ago, and to my surprise, the cubs were coming out for an explore just a few minutes after I go there. They have been coming out for half an hour a day for the past week, apparently (I thought it would be September before I saw them). This was one of 1500 images I shot during that half hour :) I've scaled it down to 4000 pixels wide so it loads more quickly, but I cropped it only a little from the original frame (kept 8147 pixels from 9504). Yes, that's the mother, and I think that's the little girl (one girl and two boys).

That's the 70-200 f/2.8 GM II at 200mm, f/2.8, ISO 500, 1/2000 on the A7RV (Animal eye AF). Sharp as you could ask for and the lens is wide open. Yeah, this lens is a keeper!

MotherAndChild4k.jpg

On impulse, I decide to take the 70-200 GM II today instead of the 70-200 G II that I've been trying out for the past few weeks.

I visited the local open-range zoo, and started by visiting the lions (I like lions). I am glad I did. The lions welcomed three cubs 10 weeks ago, and to my surprise, the cubs were coming out for an explore just a few minutes after I go there. They have been coming out for half an hour a day for the past week, apparently (I thought it would be September before I saw them). This was one of 1500 images I shot during that half hour :) I've scaled it down to 4000 pixels wide so it loads more quickly, but I cropped it only a little from the original frame (kept 8147 pixels from 9504). Yes, that's the mother, and I think that's the little girl (one girl and two boys).

That's the 70-200 f/2.8 GM II at 200mm, f/2.8, ISO 500, 1/2000 on the A7RV (Animal eye AF). Sharp as you could ask for and the lens is wide open. Yeah, this lens is a keeper!

View attachment 44825
Wow that's absolutely beautiful and so cute....I am going for that lens in the near future 👌

I'd agree with you. Once you make the decision to take a 70-200 with you, I'm not that sure that the extra weight & size* of the f2.8 matters that much over the f4. But the result you get is well worth it! (*comparing the version II for both GM f2.8 & G f4.)

I too have the GM 2.8 II, and love it!

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back