New Sony a7riii, need help with lens decision.

J.Duffy

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
Hello, I ordered a Sony a7riii. I'm currently awaiting delivery, but USPS says it's delayed😩. So in the meantime I purchased a Sigma 100-400. I played around with it on my a6100 and I like it, but its heavy. Now I understand upgrading from crop sensor to ff is going to add weight. When using my a6100 my Sony 70-350 was basically on my camera 90% of the time. So my question is should I keep the Sigma 100-400 and just get comfortable with the size and weight? The other option is return it and use my Sony 70-350 in Super 35 mode, understanding I will go from 42mp to 18mp. I really can't keep both because whether I sell my 70-350 or return the Sigma, the funds will be used to purchase another lens. I'm thinking the Tamron 28-200 or Sony 24-105. I'm asking here and I'm going to ask on a Facebook page but I feel you guys are nicer and are not rolling your eyes at the possibility of using apsc glass on a full frame. But I still want honest opinions.

I guess I should explain that I am a hobbyist who shoots birds in trees, brush, any wildlife I can find, flowers, landscapes, pets. Basically anything but people.

Here's a photo for attention. Taken with my a6100 and the Sigma 100-400.
ABCEB650-576B-4003-98A4-F6794E9D7772.jpeg

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
The number of pixels on the subject is one of the biggest influences on IQ.

My bird rig is 4.3 kg and always handheld. I think of it as a free workout.

J.Duffy

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
The number of pixels on the subject is one of the biggest influences on IQ.

My bird rig is 4.3 kg and always handheld. I think of it as a free workout.
Yeah, I think you might be right. I went to the park with my dog this afternoon, but I didn't bring my camera as having his 75 lb butt on the end of a leash doesn't make photographing anything easy. While we were out on a trail I was just thinking a lot about my options. First of all, I'm not out hiking Mt. Everest, I'm hiking state parks in Indiana, and second, I'll get used to carrying it.

I think the main reason why I'm considering keeping the 70-350 is because I just freaking really love that lens. It was the first lens I bought, not including the 2 kit lenses that came with my camera and it rarely came off once it went on. I even bought 2 Raynox adaptors and fell in love with the lens even more when I discovered macro. The Sigma isn't unbearably heavy. I've just gotten lazy over the winter...

Thanks for your thoughts.....I appreciate it a lot.

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I haven't used the Sigma but can say that the R III with the Sony 100-400 can produce excellent IQ, even with the 1.4x TC. If I have to, I'll also use the 2xTC with it because it's a rig that can be taken trekking or XC skiing and what else will give you FF at 800mm in a compact package. Sure, the f11 max aperture means AF is contrast detect only and that'll lose me bird shots but it also gets me bird shots not possible otherwise.

Reactions: J.Duffy

J.Duffy

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
I'll definitely never be shooting at 800mm! I bet those are amazing shots though...

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
They can be but a lot end on the cutting room floor.

These worked and I prize them as the little Spotted Pardelote lives in the forest canopy. Here's it's come down to ground level to get some fibrous bark for a nest.

You'll see that f11 has created a high ISO and so some detail is lost to noise. I should've stopped down to 1/1000s or less shutter speed.

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (19).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter
  • 800.0 mm
  • Æ’/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (12).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 800.0 mm
  • Æ’/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (7).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 800.0 mm
  • Æ’/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 8000

Reactions: Nancy Grinberg

J.Duffy

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Jan 26, 2021
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
Those are great. Such a pretty bird. I love that last photo!

AlphaWorld

Novice Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Hello, I ordered a Sony a7riii. I'm currently awaiting delivery, but USPS says it's delayed😩. So in the meantime I purchased a Sigma 100-400. I played around with it on my a6100 and I like it, but its heavy. Now I understand upgrading from crop sensor to ff is going to add weight. When using my a6100 my Sony 70-350 was basically on my camera 90% of the time. So my question is should I keep the Sigma 100-400 and just get comfortable with the size and weight? The other option is return it and use my Sony 70-350 in Super 35 mode, understanding I will go from 42mp to 18mp. I really can't keep both because whether I sell my 70-350 or return the Sigma, the funds will be used to purchase another lens. I'm thinking the Tamron 28-200 or Sony 24-105. I'm asking here and I'm going to ask on a Facebook page but I feel you guys are nicer and are not rolling your eyes at the possibility of using apsc glass on a full frame. But I still want honest opinions.

I guess I should explain that I am a hobbyist who shoots birds in trees, brush, any wildlife I can find, flowers, landscapes, pets. Basically anything but people.

Here's a photo for attention. Taken with my a6100 and the Sigma 100-400. View attachment 7489

I wonder if you will receive an A7R III A model, with the better rear screen? That would be a cool bonus for waiting.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.