Followers
Following
Name
Jessica Duffy
Country
United States
City/State
Madison, Indiana
Hello, I ordered a Sony a7riii. I'm currently awaiting delivery, but USPS says it's delayedšŸ˜©. So in the meantime I purchased a Sigma 100-400. I played around with it on my a6100 and I like it, but its heavy. Now I understand upgrading from crop sensor to ff is going to add weight. When using my a6100 my Sony 70-350 was basically on my camera 90% of the time. So my question is should I keep the Sigma 100-400 and just get comfortable with the size and weight? The other option is return it and use my Sony 70-350 in Super 35 mode, understanding I will go from 42mp to 18mp. I really can't keep both because whether I sell my 70-350 or return the Sigma, the funds will be used to purchase another lens. I'm thinking the Tamron 28-200 or Sony 24-105. I'm asking here and I'm going to ask on a Facebook page but I feel you guys are nicer and are not rolling your eyes at the possibility of using apsc glass on a full frame. But I still want honest opinions.

I guess I should explain that I am a hobbyist who shoots birds in trees, brush, any wildlife I can find, flowers, landscapes, pets. Basically anything but people.

Here's a photo for attention. Taken with my a6100 and the Sigma 100-400.
ABCEB650-576B-4003-98A4-F6794E9D7772.jpeg

The number of pixels on the subject is one of the biggest influences on IQ.

My bird rig is 4.3 kg and always handheld. I think of it as a free workout.

The number of pixels on the subject is one of the biggest influences on IQ.

My bird rig is 4.3 kg and always handheld. I think of it as a free workout.
Yeah, I think you might be right. I went to the park with my dog this afternoon, but I didn't bring my camera as having his 75 lb butt on the end of a leash doesn't make photographing anything easy. While we were out on a trail I was just thinking a lot about my options. First of all, I'm not out hiking Mt. Everest, I'm hiking state parks in Indiana, and second, I'll get used to carrying it.

I think the main reason why I'm considering keeping the 70-350 is because I just freaking really love that lens. It was the first lens I bought, not including the 2 kit lenses that came with my camera and it rarely came off once it went on. I even bought 2 Raynox adaptors and fell in love with the lens even more when I discovered macro. The Sigma isn't unbearably heavy. I've just gotten lazy over the winter...

Thanks for your thoughts.....I appreciate it a lot.

I haven't used the Sigma but can say that the R III with the Sony 100-400 can produce excellent IQ, even with the 1.4x TC. If I have to, I'll also use the 2xTC with it because it's a rig that can be taken trekking or XC skiing and what else will give you FF at 800mm in a compact package. Sure, the f11 max aperture means AF is contrast detect only and that'll lose me bird shots but it also gets me bird shots not possible otherwise.

I'll definitely never be shooting at 800mm! I bet those are amazing shots though...

They can be but a lot end on the cutting room floor.

These worked and I prize them as the little Spotted Pardelote lives in the forest canopy. Here's it's come down to ground level to get some fibrous bark for a nest.

You'll see that f11 has created a high ISO and so some detail is lost to noise. I should've stopped down to 1/1000s or less shutter speed.

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (19).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS + 2X Teleconverter
  • 800.0 mm
  • ʒ/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (12).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 800.0 mm
  • ʒ/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 12800

Spotted Pardalote or two gathering nest stuff (7).jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 800.0 mm
  • ʒ/11
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 8000

Those are great. Such a pretty bird. I love that last photo!

Hello, I ordered a Sony a7riii. I'm currently awaiting delivery, but USPS says it's delayedšŸ˜©. So in the meantime I purchased a Sigma 100-400. I played around with it on my a6100 and I like it, but its heavy. Now I understand upgrading from crop sensor to ff is going to add weight. When using my a6100 my Sony 70-350 was basically on my camera 90% of the time. So my question is should I keep the Sigma 100-400 and just get comfortable with the size and weight? The other option is return it and use my Sony 70-350 in Super 35 mode, understanding I will go from 42mp to 18mp. I really can't keep both because whether I sell my 70-350 or return the Sigma, the funds will be used to purchase another lens. I'm thinking the Tamron 28-200 or Sony 24-105. I'm asking here and I'm going to ask on a Facebook page but I feel you guys are nicer and are not rolling your eyes at the possibility of using apsc glass on a full frame. But I still want honest opinions.

I guess I should explain that I am a hobbyist who shoots birds in trees, brush, any wildlife I can find, flowers, landscapes, pets. Basically anything but people.

Here's a photo for attention. Taken with my a6100 and the Sigma 100-400.View attachment 7489

I wonder if you will receive an A7R III A model, with the better rear screen? That would be a cool bonus for waiting.

Nope. I bought mine used.

Pity - it would have been nice to be able to ask you what you thought of the new screen!

Back