New Sony - new Life

dietrichspeer

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dietrich Speer
When I was in my late teens and early twenties I wanted to be nothing but a photographer. Then my newspaper job required it, and I lost interest quickly. That was a very long time ago in Germany. My life has taken dramatic turns several times since then. Photography was always in the picture. Medium Format Film, large format film, then digital. The latter turned me off to a degree that I didn't even try anymore. Now I took early retirement, sold the house, and I am about to move to South America. I decided to revive my old love. Bought an a7c and a couple of sinfully expensive lenses. The quality of the images, the sharpness, are blowing me away. I will be down at the ocean, up in the Andes, then back down in the jungle. I felt I needed the best camera I could afford for that, and I think I found it.

Welcome to the Forum Dietrich and thanks for sharing your story. Where are you now? When do you make this tremendous move?

I am from Germany originally but lived in the US for almost 30 years. Everything except the contents of one suitcase and the camera bag is sold or given away. I am in Germany now and for another 3 weeks. The flight to Ecuador is booked, the apartment is rented, and I am ready to go.

Wow, welcome and I hope the compact nature of the A7C helps you capture some great memories on your travels!

Welcome Dietrich and thanks for joining up here. Which part of Germany are you from? I lived in Herrenberg and Stuttgart for a few years, I loved it there. Hope to get back to visit at some point but with a 22 month old son and another on the way it's not quite so easy to travel as it used to be! The a7C sounds like the right choice for your travels! I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing the photos that you capture.

Welcome Dietrich and thanks for joining up here. Which part of Germany are you from? I lived in Herrenberg and Stuttgart for a few years, I loved it there. Hope to get back to visit at some point but with a 22 month old son and another on the way it's not quite so easy to travel as it used to be! The a7C sounds like the right choice for your travels! I wish you all the best and look forward to seeing the photos that you capture.
I am from up north, Hamburg. The less attractive part of the country. I wasn't able to travel as much as I wanted for the same reasons. Now I can't wait to try out the camera in an exotic environment. I will post the results for sure.

I am from up north, Hamburg. The less attractive part of the country. I wasn't able to travel as much as I wanted for the same reasons. Now I can't wait to try out the camera in an exotic environment. I will post the results for sure.
I never made it as far North as Hamburg unfortunately, there were just too many places to visit in the South that kept me busy. The Schönes-Wochenende-Ticket was very helpful! :)

I grew up in the North, my family lives close to the alps now. The North is definitely not the most attractive part of Germany. The only reason for me to go back there are the old friends that I still have there.

You're from England?

I grew up in the North, my family lives close to the alps now. The North is definitely not the most attractive part of Germany. The only reason for me to go back there are the old friends that I still have there.

You're from England?
Yes I'm from England. We moved recently to the county of Shropshire which is very pretty. I love the Alps. Especially Oberstdorf as we could make it there and back in a day from Stuttgart, although it did mean getting up at 4am to catch the train. It was always a long day but worth it for the scenery.

I spent almost 30 years in the ice box of the US, Minnesota. The tropics are exactly what I need right now. And I am very excited about all the photo opportunities waiting for me there.

Back