New Sony Owner

MikeInMI

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Michael Allie
I just picked up a used Sony A9 ii and awaiting delivery. I'm currently shooting a Nikon D500 and know I have a lot to learn about Sony. I'm looking forward to the journey and hoping to cut the learning curve down by joining this community. With my Nikon D500, there was a great book I published (400+ pages) that had a lot of details that explained all the nuances of my camera and recommendations on configuration. If anyone can recommend such a book for my A9 ii, I'd sure appreciate it.

Mike

Look online for Gary Friedman and the Friedman Archives -- he does really helpful eBooks which can be purchased and downloaded and used immediately and as an ongoing reference tool. I just purchased the Sony A1 today and one of the first things I did was to get Friedman's book on that camera. Even though I've been using Sony cameras for a while now, the menu system in the A1 is new and the camera is a bit more complex than my A7R IV, so I definitely feel the need for a good book in addition to of course Sony's own online manual.

Welcome to the forum Mike and thanks for joining up here! Like Clix Pix suggested, the Gary Friedman books tend to receive pretty good reviews. Of course, please feel free to ask any gear questions here as well.

I myself have been re-visiting the work of Mark Galer. A tremendous fountain of knowledge.

Thanks so much! I've purchased Friedman's book, and also signed up for Galer's forum. They both look like excellent resources!

Also when I was looking for something else last night I discovered that Thom Hogan also has a new book out in paperback now, Configuring the Sony A1..... It is available on Amazon and I promptly ordered it. Thom is a well-known writer in photographic circles and has a couple of websites where he discusses Nikons, Sonys and other mirrorless and DSLR cameras. He reviews new camera bodies and lenses, writes about the photographic industry in general and specific manufacturers and their futures, discusses pros and cons of mirrorless vs DSLR and many other topics on his websites. I am looking forward to the book and it will be handy to have an actual print item that I can quickly pick up and look through when I have a specific question or concern as well as having information available on the computer. I imagine that Thom also offers an ePub or .pdf version of this book, too, but I haven't checked.

And, yes, Mark Galer is an excellent resource, too. I forgot to mention him the other night!

Back