not quite a newbie ;-)

ushere

Newcomer
Followers
Following
i've just retire from a career in tv and video production. and for the last few years have been shooting with a sony ex1 camcorder. i've done all sorts of work with it; docos, tv, ads, promos, clips, etc., etc., and got my wife a nex 7 a few years back which i have often used as a second b camera. very impressed with the hd results, not so much on the limited record time, or audio input...

anyway, decided to sell up the ex1 and look at the a6400, perhaps with the 18-135 mm kit lens (i have pancake and 18-55 mm with the nex 7).

was wondering if anyone here has used the a6400 for 'serious' video work, and if so, could give me pointers, suggestions, etc.,

anyway, thanks for the time, stay well

leslie

Welcome Leslie and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself. It sounds like you've had a fascinating career and must have acquired a wealth of knowledge. I don't shoot too much video myself but do keep intending to make a little more effort here. I have the a6400 and it's a great little camera, but I've shot so little video with it I can't really comment on it's video performance, but I do know it's a very popular choice for video shooters. Most prefer the Sony E 18-105 F4 G lens for video over the 18-135, as the 18-105 has the constant F4 aperture, and a motorised and internal zoom, so balancing on a gimbal is a lot easier than the 18-135 which extends when you zoom.

Welcome Leslie and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself. It sounds like you've had a fascinating career and must have acquired a wealth of knowledge. I don't shoot too much video myself but do keep intending to make a little more effort here. I have the a6400 and it's a great little camera, but I've shot so little video with it I can't really comment on it's video performance, but I do know it's a very popular choice for video shooters. Most prefer the Sony E 18-105 F4 G lens for video over the 18-135, as the 18-105 has the constant F4 aperture, and a motorised and internal zoom, so balancing on a gimbal is a lot easier than the 18-135 which extends when you zoom.
hi tim (?),

thanks for the greeting.

i am extremely happy with the results i've got from the nex 7, and its kit lens. happily intercut the video with that from the ex1, and on occasions thought the pics were better than the camcorders ;-) in my other thread i've gone into a bit more detail regarding video - but as chris there also pointed out, it looks like the 18-105mm would be the lens to get.

stay well

Back