Ok so just out of interest your top 3 lenses and why! and you need to own them now or have owned them in the past, no if only I had it options.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So as title your choice for your chosen subject, mine are 1 , Sony 300 2,8 a-mount and I still use it on a and e-mount, 2, 200-600 e-mount because its such a good lens at its price point , and 3, Minolta 400 4.5 a-mount which I still use on both a and e -mount and its sharp and the colours it renders are excellent and its weight to reach ratio is really good when compared to some long reach older and in fact current lenses . All the above are good for my interests which are wildlife and bird photography.

Owned in the past and as of last month it is back in my collection - the Fujifilm XF 80 macro. Waited two years to see if anyone would provide a similar solution to the XF80 - they haven't. It is the only mirrorless designed macro lens that accepts both teleconverters and retain AF so that I can have in-camera focus bracketing at three lengths, 80, 112, and 160 (at APSC lengths, full frame FOV is 120, 160, and 240).

Had: The F-mount Voigtlander Nokton 58 f/1.4 SL II - something about the rendering of that lens, I just love.

Own: The 135 GM. I love the way it renders for visible light and infrared.

Panasonic-Leica 50-200. It's my 'pry it from my cold dead hands lens'. I'm hoping to fall in as much love with one of the lenses for my Sony. Panasonic 12-60, my favorite walking around lens. Minolta MC 58/1.2, a legendary piece of vintage glass.

Today (and it varies), it is:
  • Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 GM II - light / fast / sharp outdoors
  • Sony 50mm f/1.2 GM - lovely in studio work, at f/8 with strobe or f/1.2-f/2.8 with natural light
It’s the third that varies most. Often the Sony 135mm f/1.8 GM. Sometimes the Voigtlander 50mm f/2 APO Lanthar. Sometimes the Sony 200-600mm, … It varies.

Top favorite and most-used lens: 90mm macro. second favorite and heavily-used lens: 100-400mm GM. Third? Well....right now it's the 200-600mm because I am currently using it a lot. Probably in third place overall, though, would be the 50mm f/1.2.

50mm f1.2 GM because it's just the best lens I ever laid my hands on and it pairs beautifully with the A1 and it's top 1/32000 shutter speed.
135mm f1.8 GM because I love the focal length and performs beautifully
200-600mm because it's the money maker (surf photography)

As an APSC user, my top 3 are:
  • Tamron 17-70mm f2.8. Although a bit heavy for the a6400 body, its a phenomenal lens with bright aperture and VC: Vibration Control, their version of OSS
  • Sony 35mm f1.8. Practically a "nifty-fifty" because its close to 50mm in full-frame equivalent and its a nice compact size while still offering a wide aperture and OSS.
  • Sony 18-135mm f3.5-5.6. This is a distant 3rd place in the bag, its a compact lens with OSS making it an excellent "travel lens" but it is always in danger of being left on the shelf in favor of wider aperture glass.

1. Sony 200 600 because of it's sublime handling and epic sharpness for a zoom. The internal focus is a game changer.

2. Tamron 150 600 G2. Everyone raved about the Sigma Sport and Contemporary, but the Tamron was sharper, and had better stabilisation. My wife has it now.

3. Pentax 150 450. The only affordable Zoom for Pentax, and another supremely sharp lens. It served me well, but 450 wasn't enough reach, even on APSC.

1. Sony 200 600 because of it's sublime handling and epic sharpness for a zoom. The internal focus is a game changer.

2. Tamron 150 600 G2. Everyone raved about the Sigma Sport and Contemporary, but the Tamron was sharper, and had better stabilisation. My wife has it now.

3. Pentax 150 450. The only affordable Zoom for Pentax, and another supremely sharp lens. It served me well, but 450 wasn't enough reach, even on APSC.
Which mount did you use the Tamron on and if e-mount how does it do rate focus wise, sharpness Gary

I am very new at interchangeable lens cameras, not even 6 months. To this day here are my lenses in order of use.

1. Sigma 100-400 contemporary, just did a trip to Ecuador and Galápagos Islands with it and couldn’t be happier.

2. Sony 24-70, f4. Also took this with me and loved the handling.

3. Sony 70-300, do not like and trying to sell it.

PS: looking at getting the Sigma 150-600 and hoping it will be no 1 depending on situation.
Hi why the sigma and not the 200-600? I assume the price points are similar where you are, well they are similar cost wise here in the uk

1) I love the Sony 70-350 for APSC. It has been amazing on safari twice now, and fantastic for "grab&go" Canadian wildlife.
2) Sony 16-55 f2.8 as well for APSC. Although, if I am shooting indoor/evening, then the Sigma16 wins.
3) Tamron 70-180 2.8 for full-frame. I just got this one......and I am impressed. I wish I'd had it on my last safari, for those early morning, dusk game drives. (oh well......I guess I'll have to go again lol).

I also love the Tamron 11-20 2.8, but I have to confess, it is a very specific application. If I only did real estate, or landscape, this would have made the top 3, but I am most often taking photos of travel experiences. My son has/loves the Sigma 24-70 2.8, and I will use it as well, but it feels quite heavy on the a6400. Great photos......but I am after great photos in a super light kit most of the time.

1. FE 20mm f/1.8 G ( it's on my camera at all times until I need something else)
2. FE 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS
3. FE 24-105 f/4 G This was tough. I seldom use it but on my last vacation when I did a lot of walking and driving, this was a life saver. Lots of pictures and the lens did not let me down at all. But, I have a couple of lenses I have not exploited yet. In addition, there may be one more lens in my future.

1. Sony 200-600. It's practically glued to my camera. The internal zoom design makes all other large extending zooms a chore to use.
2. Sony 100-400. Although it doesn't get as much use since I picked up the 200-600 it's still a great lens. It also works really well as a close-up lens thanks to its small minimum focussing distance of just 98 centimetres. I did almost sell it at one point but glad now that I managed to keep hold of it.
3. Sony E 18-135. It's a great little holiday lens than normally sits on my a6400.

Agree with @Timothy Mayo 200-600 was the reason I bought into Sony in the first place. Insanely good for the $$$.

35 and 50GM

I've been waiting since mid-December for the 70-200 2.8MK II and hope to have that join in the fun... :)

No. 1 Sony lens 28 - 70 f3.5 I am happy to use this lens. Good colour results. Fine with landscapes and plant details.
No 2 Sony lens 55- 200 f4 - 5.6 DT THIS LENS I HAVE NOT USED YET. not a E- mount , requires adaptor
can anyone tell me more about this lens.
I bought second hand into the SONY SYSTEM TO USE MY OLD FULL FRAME LENSES.
ALSO USE PANASONIC LUMIX MFT CAMERAS

for my wildlife uses:

Sony 600 GM - by far the most productive lens I've used in 50+ years, love the color, bokeh & detail
Sony 100-400 GM - versatility and excellent image quality
Leica 280mm f/4 APO - mind-boggling image quality when I can get close enough to the animals

for my wildlife uses:

Sony 600 GM - by far the most productive lens I've used in 50+ years, love the color, bokeh & detail
Sony 100-400 GM - versatility and excellent image quality
Leica 280mm f/4 APO - mind-boggling image quality when I can get close enough to the animals
Are you using the AF adapter on the Leica?

I don't shoot enough to give you a good answer here, but I'll take a shot:
1. I won't leave the house without my Sony 20mm G lens. fast, light, compact and very sharp it's just amazingly versatile. Having said that, lately I have been trying to use my Sony 35mm GM. I just have not done much with it yet.
2. Sony 100-400mm GM. I really hardly ever use it, but if I need a long lens, it's all Ive got. I have a 1.4 TC to use with it if I need it3
3. If I'm out with others and need to be prepared to shoot anything that might come up, and I don't want to fuss with carrying lenses, then it's the Sony 24-105mm G Lens. It's not a light weight, but it's not huge either. I have turned into a Prime lens guy but the 24-105 is a keeper, Excellent images too. I did a family trip to the San Juan Islands a year or so ago, and that lens stayed on all day and I didn't need anything else. You can see the images in the Albums on my Flickr page. Click here for my San Juan Island Album.

Well I see I've posted twice here. I didn't notice that this was an older thread. Sorry about that. On the other hand, I picked the same three lenses. Go figure!

Last edited:
I need to update my list. The Panasonic Leica 50-200 and Minolta MC-58/1.2 remain, but the 12-60 has been supplanted by the Sony 200-600. What a ridiculously good lens it is.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back