Ok so what is on your wish list from Santa and what are the chances of getting it?

And which lens is your compact 200-800?
For visible light:
For m43: M.Zuiko 100-400.
For full frame: closest I can get for compact is the 70-200 G II with 2x TC using APSC mode. This lens happens to balance quite nicely on the A7Cr.

For IR, the M.Zuiko wins. I have to use the 200-600 G on Sony because the TC cannot be used with IR.

For visible light:
For m43: M.Zuiko 100-400.
For full frame: closest I can get for compact is the 70-200 G II with 2x TC using APSC mode. This lens happens to balance quite nicely on the A7Cr.

For IR, the M.Zuiko wins. I have to use the 200-600 G on Sony because the TC cannot be used with IR.
See? So M-4/3 IS your compact kit! :p

Sony and Tamron have been doing a good job of making lenses smaller. Sony did such a great job with making camera bodies small I don't even think about the camera itself to compare sizes anymore. My A7 cameras are smaller than my G9 was. It all comes down to the lenses.

And like @Deleted Member 5045 I'm not planning to purchase the 16-35 GM II because the 16-35 PZ has been "perfect for my needs." 🍻

Well it's impossible to be sharper as my PZ is corner to corner basically perfect at f4 on 16, 24 and 35mm. The thing is tiny too. If f4 is fine for you then the lens is absolutely unbeatable! A must have in a Sony landscape kit.

Well it's impossible to be sharper as my PZ is corner to corner basically perfect at f4 on 16, 24 and 35mm. The thing is tiny too. If f4 is fine for you then the lens is absolutely unbeatable! A must have in a Sony landscape kit.
Does the pz mean power zoom Clint?

It is a power zoom. But you can zoom with the ring which is feather light to move. Plus, it is internal zoom. This is one amazingly good lens.
ok so I dont have many short lenses and would like a couple of new ones so hence my asking

But you don't need to get the top end. I have an RX 6800 XT and can play any of the latest releases at ultra settings, this card is at the upper end of the mid range cards. In another year or two I can get a 2nd one for probably about $300 (or less) and get another few years of easily running everything with it. Unless you went top end 5 years ago you can probably get a card in the mid-range for a few hundred that will add 2 years of life to a PC.

If you are going to drunk shop might as well really go crazy.
View attachment 50932

it may sound petty, but is a Noctua U12 enough cooling for that CPU? I’d probably have gone with a D15. The better you fool the chip the longer it stays at max turbo.

Things have moved on a bit - I think the last Fractal Design case I used was a Define 5 (I have used the 3 and 4) - there Is a 7 now?

what is the verdict on the 100-400 anyone
The OM gets good reviews. The Panny 100-400 was a good, lens. Not as good as the amazing 50-200, but pretty good. Panny has a MkII now, supposed to be better. The Sony 200-600 is better than the Panny 100-400 V1.

do zhoot with the hood off? ;)
The whole purpose of SLR cameras, originally, was to prevent people taking rolls of blank film with the cap on.

At least, that's my theory.

Santa has presented me with a budget deficit this quarter 🤦‍♂️
The A6700 will have to wait. Best I can hope for is some giftcards this Christmas to add to the "new camera piggy bank"...

The A6700 will have to wait. Best I can hope for is some giftcards this Christmas to add to the "new camera piggy bank"...
Chris you will get used to that it is called having kids mate lap it up, because before long they want cars, houses and to part you from everything they can get hold of 🤣

Chris you will get used to that it is called having kids mate lap it up, because before long they want cars, houses and to part you from everything they can get hold of 🤣
So true Gary, so true!

Been there, done that, bought the T shirt...

It's not quite as bleak as Gary says, but yeah, kids take money. Hopefully you'll have opportunities to catch up as life progresses!

I learned that Santa is getting me something very key to my photography that was not on my initial list: Sawyer Products SP6572 Twin Pack Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent x2

I learned that Santa is getting me something very key to my photography that was not on my initial list: Sawyer Products SP6572 Twin Pack Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent x2
Ok, that's pretty specific. You either have a VERY intelligent Santa or you've been dropping hints like H-bombs for the last 6 months!

Ok, that's pretty specific. You either have a VERY intelligent Santa or you've been dropping hints like H-bombs for the last 6 months!
Well a Santa helper saw that there was a sale and mentioned it. But those that know me know I am one of those that will be getting eaten while everyone else talks about how few bugs there are out today.

Well a Santa helper saw that there was a sale and mentioned it. But those that know me know I am one of those that will be getting eaten while everyone else talks about how few bugs there are out today.
Bourbon will fix that. They'll either leave you alone or you won't care...

Bourbon will fix that. They'll either leave you alone or you won't care...
Tried that but just ended up with photos like this and this was with a tripod. Also I think the mosquitos liked it more than normal.
A7R03374.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS (SEL100400GM)
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/1 sec
  • ISO 125

Back