Ok so what is on your wish list from Santa and what are the chances of getting it?

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
As title a bit of fun so what is on your wish list and any chance of getting it?

For sure I could think of one or two things but I am still can not make my mind up on the new camera and I am seriously considering the 300 2.8 or even better the 400 mm 2.8 that one would need to be used mint condition, bad weather has set in so I will probably wait for the better weather.
Oh @AlphaWorld Tony I know Santa will be dragging one of everything to your door, so we look forward to the reviews soon 🤣 ;) As always all welcome, and do not forget Santa will only deliver if you are good;)

While I wait on whether I keep my preorder on the 300,do not have to decide until late Feb. I cleaned out my closet of things bought for forgotten hobbies and have updated some of my field recording equipment. So on my holiday list is do I really need new monitors or not.

600 f4 GM - 0%
70-200 f2.8 GMii - 0%
Mindshift Gear Backlight 36L - 50%
NP-FZ100 - 100%
MIOPS Splash - 25%
New hiking boots - 100%
Saving funds for A1ii - 100%

Really, not much. I kind of buy what I want during the year, so no big gifts. Some new slippers and a nicer bird feeder, I guess.

Really, not much. I kind of buy what I want during the year, so no big gifts. Some new slippers and a nicer bird feeder, I guess.
Hang on you just got a new bird feeder from that competition at work? dream big Timmy ;)

While I wait on whether I keep my preorder on the 300,do not have to decide until late Feb. I cleaned out my closet of things bought for forgotten hobbies and have updated some of my field recording equipment. So on my holiday list is do I really need new monitors or not.
Good choice just wish they had put pre focus on the new 300 like the old one(y)

Hang on you just got a new bird feeder from that competition at work? dream big Timmy ;)
No, I got a new station. The feeder itself is pretty old and cheap. I have to save some stuff to tell the family or who knows what I'd end up with? :p

If you want me to dream big, an A1, but since I'm getting one anyway it doesn't make a lot of sense to add it to a wish list.

I've been tossing around the idea of a 1.4TC but don't really use them that much. Same with the 70-200/2.8 II. It'd be fun to have but it's just not a FL I use a lot.

I reckon maybe if I had to pick some stuff, the 400/2.8 and a TC would be pretty versatile, but then I'd have to start shooting birds and wildlife in earnest. Or maybe Tamron's 35-150/2-2.8. 🤷‍♂️

I think that one camera is Birthday+Christmas 2023 for me.

But this is where moving to FF leaves me underexposed: I had a lovely range of lenses to cover what I do on APS-C. Now I don't. I have 85, 135, and 70-200. But my 30, 50, 17-70 are APS-C.

So one of the lower-cost Samyangs is going to creep in soon, one way or another.

What I'd really like from Santa is new ears. Failing that, next years expenditure has to be new hearing aids.

I think that one camera is Birthday+Christmas 2023 for me.

But this is where moving to FF leaves me underexposed: I had a lovely range of lenses to cover what I do on APS-C. Now I don't. I have 85, 135, and 70-200. But my 30, 50, 17-70 are APS-C.

So one of the lower-cost Samyangs is going to creep in soon, one way or another.

What I'd really like from Santa is new ears. Failing that, next years expenditure has to be new hearing aids.
I hope you get at least one or two on your list thanks for reply (y)

Hmmm....

Wish List:

400 2.8
600 F4
A1
Sony A95L 55" OLED Master TV...
Full retirement

Likelyhood

None
None
Maybe
Almost certainly, if I can get a Black Friday deal, if not I'll wait 6 months
Nope, not yet...

Hmmm....

Wish List:

400 2.8
600 F4
A1
Sony A95L 55" OLED Master TV...
Full retirement

Likelyhood

None
None
Maybe
Almost certainly, if I can get a Black Friday deal, if not I'll wait 6 months
Nope, not yet...
Fingers crossed Kev🤞

Happy with my A9ii and 200-600mm dream team.

You guessed it, we don't celebrate Christmas in the same nature of how people celebrate Christmas. We just get together as a family because everyone is available.

The last thing I bought was the Heipi and a new case for my 200-600mm. I'm at my wit's end thinking of something new to buy. Maybe a new PC tower after Clide's post yesterday but even then I really do not need it at all, my current computer is just fine, that would literally make about as much sense as me buying the 16-35mm GMII when my 16-35mm PZ is perfect for my needs.

I'm hoping by Christmas to determine how to downsize my gear even further.

And like @Deleted Member 5045 I'm not planning to purchase the 16-35 GM II because the 16-35 PZ has been "perfect for my needs." 🍻

Good choice just wish they had put pre focus on the new 300 like the old one(y)
Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I thought Sony's "Focus Registration", which I think "registers a particular focus distance" offered the functionality, and the lens definitely has a button that can invoke it. I've never used it, so I don't know if it's the same thing.

Am I misunderstanding the desire or the implementation?

The last thing I bought was the Heipi and a new case for my 200-600mm. I'm at my wit's end thinking of something new to buy. Maybe a new PC tower after Clide's post yesterday but even then I really do not need it at all, my current computer is just fine, that would literally make about as much sense as me buying the 16-35mm GMII when my 16-35mm PZ is perfect for my needs.
And if your PC needs a performance boost you could just upgrade the graphics card to add a few more years on the cheap.

I have pre-ordered the 300 GM, but I'm not getting it for Christmas - probably in time for Easter (if we must time it by religious festivals :-D ) - SantaSony is dragging his heels on this one.

With Black Friday / Cyber Monday imminent, I looked for new toys, but the only one that raised its head was the Sony H60 something flash, plus the battery pack that lets it fire at 20 fps for up to 10 seconds. Read several reviews of it, and none of them were all that positive. If I want to get serious about flash I use my mains-powered studio strobes (I've owned my current set since 2013, and they work well). Every couple of years I look at battery units, but I have yet to commit to any. So I won't be get the flash.

About the only things I see myself getting this year are:
  • 85 f/1.2 GM if announced and available quickly
  • 320GB CFexpressA card if there is a good sale (more likely to be Lexar Gold than Sony Tough G, but either would suit)

So if Santa is late delivering to your house it ain't because he's delivering a lot to mine!

Last edited:
And if your PC needs a performance boost you could just upgrade the graphics card to add a few more years on the cheap.

At the current pricing for higher end graphics cards, it can be more expensive to replace the graphics card than the rest of the machine! A gamer friend just blew a lot of money of a powerhouse machine, and the graphics card was two thirds of the budget! (yes, he went for a RTX 4090).

If you are coming from integrated graphics, though, yes, a graphics card can help.

• 320GB CFexpressA card if there is a good sale (more likely to be Lexar Gold than Sony Tough G, but either would suit)
Sale is not as good as it was a few days ago but it is still a very good price.

Mine is a laptop unfortunately so can't upgrade the graphics card. Looking at this thing with a 12gb RTX4070 in it. See what happens after I have a couple of whiskies in the next week or so...

At the current pricing for higher end graphics cards, it can be more expensive to replace the graphics card than the rest of the machine! A gamer friend just blew a lot of money of a powerhouse machine, and the graphics card was two thirds of the budget! (yes, he went for a RTX 4090).
But you don't need to get the top end. I have an RX 6800 XT and can play any of the latest releases at ultra settings, this card is at the upper end of the mid range cards. In another year or two I can get a 2nd one for probably about $300 (or less) and get another few years of easily running everything with it. Unless you went top end 5 years ago you can probably get a card in the mid-range for a few hundred that will add 2 years of life to a PC.
Mine is a laptop unfortunately so can't upgrade the graphics card. Looking at this thing with a 12gb RTX4070 in it. See what happens after I have a couple of whiskies in the next week or so...
If you are going to drunk shop might as well really go crazy.
Screenshot 2023-11-18 215619.jpg

But you don't need to get the top end. I have an RX 6800 XT and can play any of the latest releases at ultra settings, this card is at the upper end of the mid range cards. In another year or two I can get a 2nd one for probably about $300 (or less) and get another few years of easily running everything with it. Unless you went top end 5 years ago you can probably get a card in the mid-range for a few hundred that will add 2 years of life to a PC.

If you are going to drunk shop might as well really go crazy.
View attachment 50932
Oh Baby!

I am glad to see so many replies to this it is a bit of fun a chance for us to chat , about dream wish lists or just reality which might just be gas or a real need for that new bit of kit, thanks to all :)

Back