Followers
Following
Name
Jeff Westmoreland
Country
United States
City/State
Tulsa, OK
Found these old slides in storage and needed to get them digitized. After finding out the price ($0.50 ea) at a local place, decided to use my A6600 to copy them. The only lens I have right now it the 18-135 OSS however, they're coming out pretty good. If nothing else, I've learned how to use the spot repair tool in LR! 😁 These were all originally taken with a Canon A-1 in the mid-80's! I still have about 400 slides to copy!

Kid watching biplane.jpg
  • ILCE-6600
  • E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 135.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

Attachments

• Car_to_plane-2.jpg
    Car_to_plane-2.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Jim_Franklin_plane.jpg
    Jim_Franklin_plane.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Lake_tree_moon.jpg
    Lake_tree_moon.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Miss_America_P51.jpg
    Miss_America_P51.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 36
  • OKC_Fair.jpg
    OKC_Fair.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Snowbirds-1.jpg
    Snowbirds-1.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Fly_into_the_sun-2.jpg
    Fly_into_the_sun-2.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 31
I've got some slides to convert that my parents took in the 60s. Cue embarrassing childhood and baby pics. Nice job here.

Hi, how did you hold the slides, and illuminate them for copying? I have played around with this but it never worked well.

Hey Alan, I used a small light pad (about 12" x 20") and set my tripod over it with the center post inverted. Then set the camera as close as possible. It would probably work better with a macro lens, but I don't have one for the A6600 yet. Using the 18-135 lens, the camera was about 1.5 feet above the slide. I had to crop them way down! I also need to clean the slides better next time but, I learned a lot about using the Spot tool in LRC! :)

I have a light box specifically made for sorting slides from the 1980s. I use a Sigma 105 mm macro lens adapted to my Sonys and it works quite well.
Autum pens.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM3
  • 105mm F2.8
  • 105.0 mm
  • ƒ/10
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 1600

The light box has three light tubes inside so it's necessary to set a white balance on the camera to suit the light source. I used it to organize slide presentations back in my teaching days and now as a means of slide copying.

Light box 2.jpg
  • DMC-FZ300
  • 4.5 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 10/600 sec
  • ISO 100

The light box has three light tubes inside so it's necessary to set a white balance on the camera to suit the light source. I used it to organize slide presentations back in my teaching days and now as a means of slide copying.

View attachment 16847

I like it! I think I can make something like that! Will give it some thought and try building one when I get the chance! Thanks for the pic and the idea! (y)

That's a good idea, must put it on my list of things-to-do-when-I-get-time.

Back