Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
It would be great to see a few more members taking part in our weekly challenge, you simply need to post one photo per week for 52 weeks.

It doesn't matter if you miss a few weeks here and there, I've lost track of how many weeks I've missed! Sometimes life prevents us from shooting as much as we'd like.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more posts this week! :)

It would be great to see a few more members taking part in our weekly challenge, you simply need to post one photo per week for 52 weeks.

It doesn't matter if you miss a few weeks here and there, I've lost track of how many weeks I've missed! Sometimes life prevents us from shooting as much as we'd like.

I'm looking forward to seeing a few more posts this week! :)

I'll join in on this!

Tim, I've done weekly challenges before and think they're more fun when there's a weekly theme. It doesn't have to be fancy or difficult:

• Rule of Thirds
  • High Key
  • Minimalism
  • Natural Light.

Doesn't even have to be a photo-related theme:

• Disposable
  • Dirty
  • Abandoned
  • Electric

Interpretation is left wide open and it's fun to see what others come up with. I know it can be a pain in the butt thinking up a new theme every week, so we can compile a list and post it here. I just gave you enough for 2 months! Anyone wanting to join in can refer to the theme for that week.

Tim, I've done weekly challenges before and think they're more fun when there's a weekly theme. It doesn't have to be fancy or difficult:

• Rule of Thirds
  • High Key
  • Minimalism
  • Natural Light.

Doesn't even have to be a photo-related theme:

• Disposable
  • Dirty
  • Abandoned
  • Electric

Interpretation is left wide open and it's fun to see what others come up with. I know it can be a pain in the butt thinking up a new theme every week, so we can compile a list and post it here. I just gave you enough for 2 months! Anyone wanting to join in can refer to the theme for that week.
The only problem with those is I would have to dedicate time away from my normal shooting.

The only problem with those is I would have to dedicate time away from my normal shooting.
Well, yes. The idea is to make someone think about the shot and put some effort in.

Well, yes. The idea is to make someone think about the shot and put some effort in.
Well I do put a lot of effort in, but I know what you mean.

Wait a minute..... Are we talking about two or more different situations here, or what? I suspect that the use of the words "Photo of the Week" , "52 Weeks" and "challenge" has been confusing. At least to me, as I tend to be very literal.

I have done two 52-Week projects over the past two years and so this year am taking a break from that. A 52-week project, done in the customary way, is one where someone commits to shooting at least once a week and at the end of the week deciding upon a particular image and that one image represents that particular week. In some situations a photographer will share several of his or her best images if he or she shoots a lot during each week. Most people shoot more frequently than one day a week and also most people begin a 52-Week project at the beginning of a new calendar year, which of course makes perfect sense. Subject matter is limited only to whatever the individual doing the project chooses, as it is his or her personal project.

Yes, a 52-Week project IS a challenge, no doubt about that, but it is not really meant to be competing against other people, but rather oneself. It can be a valuable learning tool and a great way to get out there with the camera and just shoot. Needless to say a daily Photo of the Day (365 Days) project is even MORE challenging, and again is meant as an individual's personal project rather than a competition with others. That said, doing either type of project provides plenty of material for sharing with others in various ways!

Then we have the weekly (in some other forums in which I participate) or in this case, the monthly challenges which are meant to be competitions and which for rather some time have been tossed out here on this forum without any particular theme or topic. Ehhhh? That does not work for me. Having everyone shooting to a specific theme or topic is what makes it easier for participants and viewers to assess which image(s) in their opinion in the end are truly outstanding, as everyone is starting from the same place and presents his or her own interpretation of whatever the theme is. That in itself is what makes the concept more challenging.

So maybe there needs to be some renaming somewhere along the line here? If the group wants a weekly challenge, that's greet, but don't call it a 52 Weeks challenge, as that is really something entirely different. A weekly contest can be fun and I've participated in those in other forums. And, yes, IMHO it needs to have a theme for each weekly competition.

The monthly thing, though, the way it's been.....that's confusing. It seems as though members can post random images and at the end of a month one becomes voted in as what I would term essentially the "best photo of the month," which is entirely different from a competition where everyone participating needs to shoot to a specific theme, present his or her own interpretation of that theme and then viewers can assess which in their opinion has turned out to be the best overall image, which is based on a number of factors: interpretation of the theme, composition, exposure and other technical skills, etc., etc.

Just my tuppence here. I haven't participated in the 52 Weeks thing in 2022 because I am not engaged at this time in shooting such a project. last year I did submit an image weekly, which was selected from whatever I'd shot during the previous week.

I also haven't contributed to the monthly challenge/competition thread because of the lack of theme. It's a fair playing field if the theme is, say, waterfowl or birds, or landscapes or portraits, or images with a particular color included, but when there is no theme, it's simply open-ended, people can toss any old image into the mix regardless of subject matter, then to me that becomes a different ball game altogether. So that's why I haven't been participating.

Last edited:
I really like the idea of having a weekly (or monthly) theme (like @Brownie suggested) that everyone would follow. What I would like even more is getting feedback on the photographs so I can improve my work.

Some forums have a tag which says "Critique" which they can attach to their thread title as they're posting one or more images in a new individual thread. Usually competition threads don't allow for critique aside from whoever may be the "judge(s)" of the entries. So if you're interested in getting feedback on your image(s) start a new thread and specify in there that you are interested in critique and feedback.

I will have a look into it tomorrow as it is getting later here and then look at it with fresh eyes in the morning.
We have to keep the pages here turning as I see it as this a good place.

Well I do put a lot of effort in, but I know what you mean.
We all put effort into what we do. A themed challenge can open up new ideas. If you're like me, once you know the theme for that week you will start looking for specific things to shoot, or trying to sort out how to fit that theme into your own shots.

Of course, if anyone doesn't want to then just don't. In that case the current thread is perfect for them. But it certainly isn't a 52 week Challenge, it's a Photo A Week thread.

Some forums have a tag which says "Critique" which they can attach to their thread title as they're posting one or more images in a new individual thread. Usually competition threads don't allow for critique aside from whoever may be the "judge(s)" of the entries. So if you're interested in getting feedback on your image(s) start a new thread and specify in there that you are interested in critique and feedback.
Yes I know, I would like the combination with a weekly or monthly theme though since you can also compare others interpretations of the theme. That would be a different approach instead of just posting a photograph and asking for feedback. I hope this makes sense...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

We do already have some themed challenges here:
https://www.alphashooters.com/community/forums/challenges/

But these aren't weekly, I typically update them monthly or bi-monthly and also leave all of the old challenges open for members to post as and when they wish. We've also had themes for our monthly pro members competition in the past but these haven't been so successful with only a very small number of entries. The none themed competitions have encouraged more entries which is why we've stuck to this format for now.

So possibly something like the following would make sense:

1. Renaming the current Photo of the Week Challenge to: "Your Photo of the Week + 52 Week Challenge". This would hopefully encourage members to post their weekly photos who may not wish to commit to 52 weeks. It would also allow those to do want to continue or take part in the 52 week challenge to do so. I'd rather not have a theme here as I think it would deter too many from posting like I've seen in the other themed challenges that I've run.

2. I could be wrong, but I don't think our forum is large enough to have much success with a weekly themed challenge for the time being, and would probably to better suited to a monthly themed challenge. That said, I'm happy to trial a weekly themed challenge if people here would prefer this to a monthly challenge. I'll create a new thread where people can make suggestions for topics and also vote on weekly vs monthly.

3. I could add a Critique Forum where members can post images specifically to receive critique from the community. I think this would work better than a tag as then we'll have one forum where members can go to view critique that others have received and hopefully learn from this too. If we use a tag in all of the different forums then this critique will just end up getting lost.

Hope you've all had a good Easter! :)

2. I could be wrong, but I don't think our forum is large enough to have much success with a weekly themed challenge for the time being, and would probably to better suited to a monthly themed challenge. That said, I'm happy to trial a weekly themed challenge if people here would prefer this to a monthly challenge. I'll create a new thread where people can make suggestions for topics and also vote on weekly vs monthly.

• From March 17 through April 2 there were four photo posts, two by you and two by Kevriano.
  • From April 3 through April 17 there were eight photo posts, three by you and one by Kev, the remainder were new members.
So over the period of a four weeks there were twelve posts, for an average of three per week.

I don't see how you would get any less participation by adding a themed challenge. Perhaps you may get more. Themes are an excellent way for new photographers to learn a term, a technique, or a skill. They are not meant to be critiqued, which would put a lot of people off, especially newcomers or those of us who don't care.

This forum is for the birds, literally. The majority of photos on this forum are birds. Nothing wrong with that, but a weekly challenge forces people to think outside that box, or whatever box they think in.

The separate critique forum is a good idea. Seems like a good way to do it without spreading critique all over the place. No reason someone can't put a photo in the 52 week challenge and cross post to critique.

Anyway, this boils down (to me) as 3 issues:
  • The current 52 Week Challenge is really a weekly photo thread. It doesn't need a number of weeks or limitations. Post your photo of the week and let the thread run to infinity. Change it to Weekly Photo, no challenge.
  • A new thread for a 52 Week Challenge. Since there is some concern about effort and time from participants, let's start small. A new theme every two weeks. That's 26 photos over a year. Post as many as you want for that week, only rule is that the photos were taken during that period. Interpretation is wide open. example: Flair could also be flare. Let the photographer decide. Drop out, join late, who cares? It's supposed to be about fun.
  • A new critique thread for those who are into that sort of thing.
My $0.02.

But these aren't weekly, I typically update them monthly or bi-monthly and also leave all of the old challenges open for members to post as and when they wish. We've also had themes for our monthly pro members competition in the past but these haven't been so successful with only a very small number of entries. The none themed competitions have encouraged more entries which is why we've stuck to this format for now.

1. Renaming the current Photo of the Week Challenge to: "Your Photo of the Week + 52 Week Challenge". This would hopefully encourage members to post their weekly photos who may not wish to commit to 52 weeks. It would also allow those to do want to continue or take part in the 52 week challenge to do so. I'd rather not have a theme here as I think it would deter too many from posting like I've seen in the other themed challenges that I've run.

3. I could add a Critique Forum where members can post images specifically to receive critique from the community. I think this would work better than a tag as then we'll have one forum where members can go to view critique that others have received and hopefully learn from this too. If we use a tag in all of the different forums then this critique will just end up getting lost.

I've always considered the weekly thread a "photo of the week" theme, not a specific subject or technique. Given how few partake in that and other threads I'd say point 2 is right. I quite like the critique idea, provided people don't get narked with the replies, which I have seen happen, but not here, we are all old and wise enough to know better, I would hope!

3. I could add a Critique Forum where members can post images specifically to receive critique from the community. I think this wouldI work better than a tag as then we'll have one forum where members can go to view critique that others have received and hopefully learn from this too. If we use a tag in all of the different forums then this critique will just end up getting lost.

I don't always shoot weekly but I like the idea of a separate section of a "Through My Lens This Week". Then people could choose to post a photo they like they took that week. The week could run Sunday through the following Saturday. I think more people would be apt to post a shot they took that week. It would not be part of a longer (think 52-week challenge) period of time. 7 days. done.

Personally, I think monthly themed challenges might prove to be too long of a time to garner a photo to submit. People mean to do it but life gets in the way and they forget to post.

Like the idea of a place to post photos for gentle constructive critique to help everyone improve their photography.

wow! that is a lot to read and a lot of ideas, a photo of the week should be just that a photo that the photographer has taken and is happy with and wishes to post, we have a vast range of abilities and interests on here and that should be encouraged, if a theme is adopted it should be a new separate weekly thread. I do not think the membership we have on here will post in any numbers on a themed thread, I still work and have little or no time spare.

Back