Photo of the Week Challenge (52 Weeks)

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
OMG! That's the way hunters call over protective Mama bears! The Mama bear believes her cubs are in danger! :ROFLMAO:

Perhaps, but the tone of a cub call will doubtless be different from a loon call. The tone is controllable. There's bear in Maine and I never heard of anyone be confronted by bears when calling loons. Hopefully that was not because those caught were eaten. And this sound is made by the passage of air in and out of that chamber not by and vocalization of the caller.

You're not putting me on now, are you?

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Awesome. Cheers for that. I'll give it a whirl and let you know.

Be patient. It is a mysterious process. And you will get tantalizing close often before you get it. Once you get it you can dial in the call and you will be astounded at how close it is to the actual loon call. Close enough to fool loons, divers, too. I know it works as it has worked for me. I'll practice here to see if I can get it back and refine it. If I do get it to work I will boast shamelessly. ;o)

• Haha
Reactions: Kevriano

Jeff A

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Perhaps, but the tone of a cub call will doubtless be different from a loon call. The tone is controllable. There's bear in Maine and I never heard of anyone be confronted by bears when calling loons. Hopefully that was not because those caught were eaten. And this sound is made by the passage of air in and out of that chamber not by and vocalization of the caller.

You're not putting me on now, are you?
Well, I tried. :D

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I'm way behind on this photo assignment!
Week 37/52: My Mum. Picture was taken on my last trip home. She taught me to cook, among many many life lessons šŸ„°
DSC07929_5x7.jpg

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Week 38/52: Continuing from last post, a theme of more personal photos, this time my aunt who is also my godmother:
DSC08004_5x7.jpg

I really love using this Tamron lens when there is sufficient light to allow the depth of focus to shine.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
Week 39/52: Who even has TIME for Selfies nowadays?
DSC08095_1x1.jpg

ISO 4000 inside a museum, not great, but not bad either!

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Week 41. Marsh Harrier looking for a landing spot in the reedbed.
DSC03558 copy.jpg

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Well, I tried. :D

Strangest thing. Last night I was practicing the loon/diver call for a while and I was getting quite close. It was pretty late at night and I live in small town but we have deer, Bald Eagles, Blue Herons, Egrets and so on in the neighborhood. You never know. Anyway, while practicing and getting closer to boasting rights I heard this snuffing and shuffling just outside my door. And I thought I heard a scratching, too. I figured just a neighborhood dog. I checked the door this morning and the scratches on the door were from a dog about six feet tall, or something else.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

Ā© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.