Unframed Dave

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Today, we took part in an informal photo walk around Norwich. I really enjoyed it, first up, great crowd of people, and a really diverse range of techniques and equipment. A bit of sunshine on a very crisp day didn't do any harm either.

One particular guy was using a digital Leica rangefinder and frequently shooting from the hip. I was curious as to how well this worked and what sort of "hit" rate he was getting. Assume smallish aperture and wide angle lens.

Having seen some of his images on Facebook this afternoon, I'm impressed. Wonder how many others use this technique?

This is probably my best shot of the morning, and definitely not taken from the hip.

DSC08916_1.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • 52.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 1600

Actually, I quite like this one as well.

DSC08951_1.JPG
  • ILCE-1
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/6400 sec
  • ISO 2000

I think these walks are a damned good idea. Virtually forces you to look for images, I can't remember who said it, but a "true photographer can take superb pictures anywhere", not that I'm claiming that accolade.

Great top pic. Definitely not my sort of shooting.

I have heard of some people using the camera app to shoot from the hip. Zone focus and the app would probably make it a little easier for composition.

Great shots! Like Clint said it's good to step out of your comfort zone to get fresh ideas.

Apparently shooting from the hip is very popular in street photography but not my thing neither. They can get some spontaneous shots but I prefer more thoughtful compositions, even in the fly.

Great shots! Like Clint said it's good to step out of your comfort zone to get fresh ideas.

Apparently shooting from the hip is very popular in street photography but not my thing neither.

I agree, I want to get my money's worth from my EVF... 😄

We'll have hip replacements with built in camera mounts at this rate.

Back