Followers
Following
Name
Keith Horkins
Country
Canada
City/State
Ontario
I was browsing online I came across an article about some updates in photoshop called Neural filters,in particular a blur filter ( it’s not the same as the original blur filter in photoshop) anyway there was a video in the article about using this blur filter to help reduce time in your workflow in particular the use of photo stacking.. Below is an example ( although not perfect) the filter is still in the beta mode..
The photos are the same shot apart from the second one being put through the blur filter in neural filters.
The photo was taken at F16 aperture..
I think this could be a game changer for product photography in particular…
01C10230-EE9B-4FD4-A16F-35B9CB6A2D2C.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 3.2 sec
  • ISO 100
CDE5CAC0-5D2C-4662-B92E-C93CC8F17C49.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM4A
  • FE 90mm F2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 3.2 sec
  • ISO 100

That looks good.

I'm of a pessimistic nature when it comes to this stuff. This may be a game changer for product photograph'y', but is another toll in the death knell for product photograph'ers'. AI is already killing graphic design, you can go to a website and generate a professional logo with a few clicks. Photography is heading in the same direction. Anyone can already use their phone to generate perfectly good images for almost anything. The only place a pro still has an advantage is when the time demand is too great for someone to dedicate, like a wedding.

Beware AI!

I hear what you are saying but unfortunately it’s the way of the world.. people have been replaced in many things.. robots make cars and probably cameras and all manner of electronics. And unless you are a film camera person who does it old school in developing then we are all contributing to that problem..
I say embrace it and go with the flow..
Personally I’m happy with anything that helps my photography workflow become quicker and easier, but then I don’t make a living out of it either…

I hear what you are saying but unfortunately it’s the way of the world.. people have been replaced in many things.. robots make cars and probably cameras and all manner of electronics. And unless you are a film camera person who does it old school in developing then we are all contributing to that problem..
I say embrace it and go with the flow..
Personally I’m happy with anything that helps my photography workflow become quicker and easier, but then I don’t make a living out of it either…

The reason it is the way of the world is because everyone just accepts it, even if they know it's wrong. I'm talking about the world in general.

Why embrace something that you know is not of long term benefit for us? In this case though it ends up giving jobs to unskilled people over those who genuinely do have amazing skills and experience. I know I'd much rather have my brand on my images instead of silicon valley...

I promise you there will be a time soon where the AI system is in complete control, and people will wish they stood up when they could. This rubbish is slowly removing the human aspect of actually being a human, ie imperfections and differences are what set us apart from each other.

The reason it is the way of the world is because everyone just accepts it, even if they know it's wrong. I'm talking about the world in general.

Why embrace something that you know is not of long term benefit for us? In this case though it ends up giving jobs to unskilled people over those who genuinely do have amazing skills and experience.

I promise you there will be a time soon where the AI system is in complete control, and people will wish they stood up when they could.
Yes but are we ready to give up everything..
I assume you drive, and I know you use a digital camera.. watch tv the list is endless.. who will be the first to “I’m done with anything that is not made or produced by a human “ I can here the silence..

I lost a lot of money in the past two years for standing up for what I think is right. My missus lost her job as a school teacher of 19 years. Me, I'm an engineering contractor so I lost a couple of gigs...

My family and I are actually willing to lose everything, if it means that's the result of standing by our beliefs.

Yes but are we ready to give up everything..
I assume you drive, and I know you use a digital camera.. watch tv the list is endless.. who will be the first to “I’m done with anything that is not made or produced by a human “ I can here the silence..
I think the difference is 'technology', such as cars, TV, and cameras, and 'creativity', which what AI affects...well, at least right now. Once the loonies have their way cars will drive us around!

Which smartphone is it that has a slide to adjust Bokeh? They even joked about it in commercials here in the states.

"You bokeh'd out my kid?"

Of course this isn't the first time new technology affected someone's job...blacksmith comes immediately to mind.

Stephen Hawking is the one who said AI could spell the end of the human race. He's smart enough to convince me.

I lost a lot of money in the past two years for standing up for what I think is right. My missus lost her job as a school teacher of 19 years. Me, I'm an engineering contractor so I lost a couple of gigs...

My family and I are actually willing to lose everything, if it means that's the result of standing by our beliefs.
That’s very brave of you and i salute you..
Not everyone is prepared to fight for their beliefs.. But ultimately the everyday person would find it almost impossible to stand up to giant corporations that dictate what we do..I myself had a similar experience back in the 80’s when I was a coal miner in England, spent 12 months on strike fighting for our jobs only for the government to close all the coal mines anyway.. not really A.I but still livelihood’s taken away for newer technology..

I certainly opened a can of worms with my post..
But it great to have discussion about these things and here each other’s thoughts and idea’s..

I certainly opened a can of worms with my post..
But it great to have discussion about these things and here each other’s thoughts and idea’s..

Number one is that you do what you know to be right, then number two is you deal with the effects of that as well as you can. The most important thing in life is being able to look yourself in the mirror and know you are true to yourself. 🙂

I'm not going to go on about it but I will say that AI is already in control of a huge part of most people's lives without them having any idea whatsoever. I've been warning people about these current events for 15 years in real life so I've already written countless documents about it, but I've never used any type of social media and this is the first time I've spoken to people online so it's a constant battle for me to not write what I really think here and there when certain things get mentioned.

I kind of like it around here though, and it's nice to learn about photography and also view the lovely work that other members post up. 🙂

Last edited by a moderator:
Number one is that you do what you know to be right, then number two is you deal with the effects of that as well as you can. The most important thing in life is being able to look yourself in the mirror and know you are true to yourself. 🙂

I'm not going to go on about it but I will say that AI is already in control of a huge part of most people's lives without them having any idea whatsoever. I've been warning people about these current events for 15 years in real life so I've already written countless documents about it, but I've never used any type of social media and this is the first time I've spoken to people online so it's a constant battle for me to not write what I really think here and there when certain things get mentioned.

Kind of like it around here and it's nice to learn about photography and also view the lovely work that other members post up. 🙂
I didn't expect my post to get the response it got to be honest i just thought it was pretty cool that a mediocre photographer like me gets to use these things..
I love it on this forum and really enjoy the interaction with everyone involved.

To get back on track with the photography aspect. I don't really see how it can make workflow easier. You are having to go into extra bits of PS for one, but also, with this kind of shot and blurred background affect, just shoot a smaller DOF! It's my biggest hate about digital processing, the fact that you can completely change the shot from it's original state so easily takes away from the skill of learning how to create it properly.

To get back on track with the photography aspect. I don't really see how it can make workflow easier. You are having to go into extra bits of PS for one, but also, with this kind of shot and blurred background affect, just shoot a smaller DOF! It's my biggest hate about digital processing, the fact that you can completely change the shot from it's original state so easily takes away from the skill of learning how to create it properly.
Thanks for your comment Kev..
I understand what you’re saying but how is it completely changing that particular shot.. all it does is blur the background, nothing been added to the original.. but if we were to take your comment literally then we are all guilty of digital manipulation are we not..
To get that same shot with the background blurred I would need to lower the aperture which in turn would more than likely put the subject out of focus would it not.. so then I would probably need to do some other digital manipulation to get that effect therefore increasing my workflow..

And to mapleleaf56's point, who's to say what's proper and what isn't other than the photographer who made the image? I get Kevin's point about developing the skills to get it right in-camera, but then why process at all? I know some folks who refuse to publish anything other than unaltered jpegs. That's cool, but is it really unaltered? A jpeg is just the camera's (actually the manufacturer's) idea of what your image should look like. It still starts life as a digital file that is nothing more than code without processing.

If we say that digitally processing a RAW image to correct issues is eroding our skills as a photographer, then can we also say that it improves your skills at the computer? We all had to learn how to do that the same as we had to learn everything else.

My gripe isn't with any of that, it's about letting AI do in seconds what may take you an appreciable amount of time to create. Change an image as much as you like for presentation, or art, or whatever, just don't let AI take the helm!

Ah...'tis a slippery slope!

Thanks for your comment Kev..
I understand what you’re saying but how is it completely changing that particular shot.. all it does is blur the background, nothing been added to the original.. but if we were to take your comment literally then we are all guilty of digital manipulation are we not..
To get that same shot with the background blurred I would need to lower the aperture which in turn would more than likely put the subject out of focus would it not.. so then I would probably need to do some other digital manipulation to get that effect therefore increasing my workflow..
Well, it's changing it in as much as creating blur that wasn't there, and I get the appeal. Lets face it, you can do it on a phone now, and very well! I'm just old school, as you couldn't do that years ago, or not without massive hassle. Of course all images are processed and manipulated now, they have to be if you shoot RAW, but I do try to limit it, and will only clone things out if its something very distracting I missed when shooting. I messed with the neural filter, seems more faff than it's worth!

Well, it's changing it in as much as creating blur that wasn't there, and I get the appeal. Let’s face it, you can do it on a phone now, and very well! I'm just old school, as you couldn't do that years ago, or not without massive hassle. Of course all images are processed and manipulated now, they have to be if you shoot RAW, but I do try to limit it, and will only clone things out if its something very distracting I missed when shooting. I messed with the neural filter, seems more faff than it's worth!
You don’t like faff do ya Kev 😂😂

Back