iain clyne

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Iain Clyne
On a Nikon you have the picture styles like standard, neutral etc and you can go into them a adjust the settings in each style. Can you do anything like this on a A9 as I can’t seem to find any.. It my be me being thick.

Here you go.

Cool thing about this forum, up at the top there's a 'blog' link. Click it and there is a treasure trove of information on Sony gear, courtesy of our host. If you then click cameras, you can choose the A9's manual. The online-version is easier to use than the PDF, there's a link in the article.

On a Nikon you have the picture styles like standard, neutral etc and you can go into them a adjust the settings in each style. Can you do anything like this on a A9 as I can’t seem to find any.. It my be me being thick.
yep but I never use them

Somehow I doubt that my A1 or A7R IV have these "Picture Styles...." That sounds like something provided on a consumer-level camera and used by those who shoot in jpeg rather than in RAW. I prefer to create my own "picture style," so to speak, with each image I shoot and later edit.

Somehow I doubt that my A1 or A7R IV have these "Picture Styles...." That sounds like something provided on a consumer-level camera and used by those who shoot in jpeg rather than in RAW. I prefer to create my own "picture style," so to speak, with each image I shoot and later edit.
They will have I would think as the A9 has them under creative style.

They both have it. I was able to find it in the manuals. It's in different places so you'll need to poke around, but it's there. The R IV has it in the same section and titles as the link I posted above for the 9, but the 1 will take some digging.

I wanted to raise the saturation on the standard setting, the vivid setting is too strong so a slight increase in the standard is enough.
0k so you can do that without changing in creative settings , I am at work right now I will check later its in with the sharpness settings I have it in my function set

Sounds as though this is something used when one is shooting in jpeg only. I don't do that; I shoot in RAW only and then make appropriate adjustments to exposure, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc., in the editing process. That's probably why I never noticed this in either of those two cameras since from Day 1 each has been set up to shoot in RAW format. I'll have to take a look just out of curiosity now....

Sounds as though this is something used when one is shooting in jpeg only. I don't do that; I shoot in RAW only and then make appropriate adjustments to exposure, sharpness, saturation, contrast, etc., in the editing process. That's probably why I never noticed this in either of those two cameras since from Day 1 each has been set up to shoot in RAW format. I'll have to take a look just out of curiosity now....
I don't use them either, but you can change some things like sharpness/Contrast/etc. in RAW, I believe.

Photo styles are one of those things where I find out about it and go "Ooooo! Neat!", and then never use them.

I wanted to raise the saturation on the standard setting, the vivid setting is too strong so a slight increase in the standard is enough.
ok its in the creative setting as it goes but in the standard setting so select the standard set and move right and you should find saturation and contrast and sharpness , just enter what you need and that is it as I recall, and the standard applies to jpeg and raw as far as I know. I shoot raw and SRGB and fix in edit.

I don't use them either, but you can change some things like sharpness/Contrast/etc. in RAW, I believe.

Photo styles are one of those things where I find out about it and go "Ooooo! Neat!", and then never use them.
I dont know who does need the creative setting I think its a video thing but in that set there is the standard set which does nothing other than add to contrast saturation and lens sharpness, I have them in my function set because I have to use minus sharpness on the a-mount 300 2.8 sometimes

I have used these settings for years. I was a professional sports and press photographer for 25+ years and shot jpg as working to deadlines left no time to do mush if any adjustments. So adjusting these settings in camera saved time.
I find the Sony colours a little dull compared to Nikon so wanted to up the saturation just a little bit.

I have used these settings for years. I was a professional sports and press photographer for 25+ years and shot jpg as working to deadlines left no time to do mush if any adjustments. So adjusting these settings in camera saved time.
I find the Sony colours a little dull compared to Nikon so wanted to up the saturation just a little bit.
Have you found the setting ok? I hope you like the a9 its great peace of kit when you get your head around it

Back