Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Sony A1 Play back S & Q

Slug

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Close
I'm new to A1 so bare with me. I'm trying to play back a S&Q video from the A1 on a Windows computer and only get a black screen, no video. I've used the function before on a previous Sony camera with no problems and the video plays back in camera normally. Any clues as to what's going on?

Cheers Greg C.

Hmmmm. What player are you using on windows? Did you try with vlc player? I got a good success with vlc on Mac PC.

I've been using the default players for Windows 10 named Movies and TV and also Windows Media player. They've worked fine in the past with video out of my A6400 but not with video out of the A1. (I'm using the default HD setting on that).

I use VLC and would recommend, too, that you try it.

It is probably due to compression and vlc with his codec base can open most of the stuff automatically without extra codec packs.....
What are you shooting in? Xavc hs?

It is probably due to compression and vlc with his codec base can open most of the stuff automatically without extra codec packs.....
What are you shooting in? Xavc hs?
xavc s HD

It could be due to long GOP and H.264. Codec profiles. Or what they're called. Once you take those files out from a1 they are mpeg4. So this is from MS support.MPEG-4 video content can be encoded and stored in an . asf file container by using Windows Media Tools and Windows Media Encoder. You can then play these files in Windows Media Player.

It could be due to long GOP and H.264. Codec profiles. Or what they're called. Once you take those files out from a1 they are mpeg4. So this is from MS support.MPEG-4 video content can be encoded and stored in an . asf file container by using Windows Media Tools and Windows Media Encoder. You can then play these files in Windows Media Player.
I'm not tech savvy enough to even understand what all that means. I can now play the A1 videos on my computer with ALC but I suspect that I'll not be able to edit or produce movies without further software purchases. Windows movie maker used to be my friend.

I am more familiar with a Mac but I think that you can look into DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic Design that works on windows and it's free and works. Some learning will be needed but they have a great online community, so it's not that hard.

I am more familiar with a Mac but I think that you can look into DaVinci Resolve from Blackmagic Design that works on windows and it's free and works. Some learning will be needed but they have a great online community, so it's not that hard.
Thanks I'll look into it. At the moment I'm still very much learning the best camera settings for my bird photography. It's all good fun if not frustrating at times!

New in Marketplace

Back