Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Etienne Steenkamp
Country
South Africa
I always wonder what other people do to display their photos: framed prints, canvas prints, photo books?

A friend gave me the idea to have one of my favourite photos from our Botswana photo safari printed as wall paper for our lounge. Very pleased with the result.

The original photo:

A1_00510.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 2500

And the result:

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 12.36.56.jpeg

That looks quite impressive Etienne!

In general, I want to print more of my pictures. My actual goal of photography is to take pictures that are "worthy" of being printed and displayed in my house.
  • I have printed a few pictures on canvas, but I did not like the results. Canvas is fine if you're looking at it from a distance, but up close it seems like a lower resolution reproduction of the original file.
  • I am looking at options for online printers and local print shops to print more photos. Unfortunately, to make the print a complete package, I would probably use a matte border and select framing and then the simple act of printing becomes expensive very quickly.
  • I am also interested in printing on metal for a few select photos. I like the novelty of it, and I might do one as a "test run".

That looks quite impressive Etienne!

In general, I want to print more of my pictures. My actual goal of photography is to take pictures that are "worthy" of being printed and displayed in my house.
  • I have printed a few pictures on canvas, but I did not like the results. Canvas is fine if you're looking at it from a distance, but up close it seems like a lower resolution reproduction of the original file.
  • I am looking at options for online printers and local print shops to print more photos. Unfortunately, to make the print a complete package, I would probably use a matte border and select framing and then the simple act of printing becomes expensive very quickly.
  • I am also interested in printing on metal for a few select photos. I like the novelty of it, and I might do one as a "test run".
Check into Nations Photo.

I always wonder what other people do to display their photos: framed prints, canvas prints, photo books?

A friend gave me the idea to have one of my favourite photos from our Botswana photo safari printed as wall paper for our lounge. Very pleased with the result.

The original photo:

View attachment 47478

And the result:

View attachment 47480

That's pretty amazing.

I have yet to check how and where to get decent prints done...

That's impressive mate. Huge! 👏

I have a place that prints and frames images in Melbourne, and I get a local place to do canvases. I don't really get them for my place though, I only have one on the wall in my music room.

Stunning piece of wall art.

In answer to your question I have done as follows.

1. Print and frame is the best and it really showcases your photography....I have had an exhibition and to see all framed and hung up is great...I also recently got an aluminium print done by Saal digital and I really like it.

2. I have made two blurb photo books and these are also a great way to see your images rather than on a hard drive.

3 . For online I use Behance that comes with my Adobe subscription and this is a good way to document a project or anything you wish to do, you can either keep for your own viewing or can share.

My house is full of my own work and it's nice to see them hanging up.

Thanks for all the responses and comments.

So it seems like print and frame, although expensive, is still the best for showcasing. I still think canvas has its place, not all photos have to be displayed at best resolution, it just depends where you want to display it and what effect you want to create. I would certainly like to reach the point where my house is also full of my own photos.

And perhaps I must also make a bit more use of photo books, certainly a nicer way to show images to friends and family than always pulling out the laptop or iPad.

I have very few printed images at home. I have several in my office. The majority of my printing is for others, some large size 16 x 20 +, but the majority are 8 x 10.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a Canon Pixma G620 (650 in the UK, 660 in Europe) printer so I can do the 8 x 10 and smaller myself at home instead of charging shipping or making them wait. This is a tank printer, ridiculously inexpensive to operate, a 4 x 6 image cost $0.025 to print for the ink, one refill ($90) will print 3,600 4 x 6 images or about 1,000 8 x 10.

I've done photo books before, they're ok but end up on a shelf with the other books. I think of them more as gifts than personal items.

Back