Question for all on here is there a area or skill in photography you hope to strive to improve at in the coming months

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
So as title do you want to improve at a skill with photography or genre in the coming months, I see we have many genres on here and members that do not get the responses and following they deserve and therefore we do retain these members for long. so please post thoughts and anything goes.
I travel more than ever and would like to improve street skills, one thing I need to learn is to see a decent shot and then not over think it or later over edit it.

I've been spending a little more time at my local motocross track so I plan to work on my panning skills and might also experiment with some wide-angle action shots as well. For street photography tips this guy is worth a follow on YouTube.

Thanks for reply Tim and hopefully kicking off the first of many replies, I am not sure I can be taught to see a good shot but as always I will try and after all that is the point really

Do you watch any YouTube stuff or participate in any photography groups or anything Gary? Or do you just believe in learning yourself?

I just want to get up the gumption to go out and shoot. I get so busy in the summer between track/family/garden etc. that the desire to go out and do architecture, landscapes, street (creepy) etc. just isn't there. Then winter comes and I get bored, but hate the freezing cold temps. Those backyard birds shot last year was more winter shooting than I'd done in years, and that was only because I had a place to keep (kind of) warm. 🤷‍♂️

If I had to pick a genre, it'd be street. Lord knows living so near Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan I have plenty of opportunities. I just hate sticking a camera in people's faces. If I were to do some, I like @alexpler's approach, doing it from a short distance seems less creepy and intrusive.

I just want to get up the gumption to go out and shoot. I get so busy in the summer between track/family/garden etc. that the desire to go out and do architecture, landscapes, street (creepy) etc. just isn't there. Then winter comes and I get bored, but hate the freezing cold temps. Those backyard birds shot last year was more winter shooting than I'd done in years, and that was only because I had a place to keep (kind of) warm. 🤷‍♂️

If I had to pick a genre, it'd be street. Lord knows living so near Ann Arbor and the University of Michigan I have plenty of opportunities. I just hate sticking a camera in people's faces. If I were to do some, I like @alexpler's approach, doing it from a short distance seems less creepy and intrusive.

I like my street shoots to be unintrusive, but everyone has their own style and approach to each genre. I'm too shy to get close to a stranger, I don't want them to feel uncomfortable and I don't like feeling like my camera stands out in the environment. I guess that's why I use the camera and the lens that I use.

As for me I'd like to give macro and wildlife a try. And also get better at portraits.

Last edited:
Knee-jerk response: Travel Photography.

More thoughtful response might be taking things in a different direction, because its really not a genre I want to focus on, but a skill related to digital photography: editing.

While the demands of family life hold me back from going out to shoot more often, its actually the editing process that is holding me back in general. I just don't trust the JPGs straight out of camera to represent my vision, and I don't mean that to sound snobby. However, it takes me sooo long to cull, edit, and post those raw images that most of my pictures just end up living on a hard drive somewhere. I think I spoke to Tim (Brownie) about this once. Post production is my kryptonite, so that's what I need to focus on right now.

More thoughtful response might be taking things in a different direction, because its really not a genre I want to focus on, but a skill related to digital photography: editing.

While the demands of family life hold me back from going out to shoot more often, its actually the editing process that is holding me back in general. I just don't trust the JPGs straight out of camera to represent my vision, and I don't mean that to sound snobby. However, it takes me sooo long to cull, edit, and post those raw images that most of my pictures just end up living on a hard drive somewhere. I think I spoke to Tim (Brownie) about this once. Post production is my kryptonite, so that's what I need to focus on right now.
Recommendation: Look on You Tube for tutorials. Most software has experts or avid fans that do them. There's typically a quick start or basic one that will get you through the standard stuff. Once you get that down you can expand into the more advanced features.

One comment though, I like processing. If you don't like it or feel it just takes up time you could be using for something else, then you'll probably never really want to do it. In that case I'd mess with the different scenes and basic settings in the camera until you find a jpeg output you can live with. You can also shoot in jpeg and make minor adjustments in post instead of trying to do it all from scratch.

Macro for me. While I am fairly happy with what I get when shooting Moths from the trap, I think they could be much better, so I will be aiming to improve my techniques.

After having a camera in my hand for so many years, taking a break felt good for a bit but now I want to find the time and desire to shoot more. I am comfortable with the still skill set I have to create the images I am looking for. Video is something I need to learn more about, just for some small projects I have in mind.To be completely honest everytime one creates an image it is a learning experience.

Do you watch any YouTube stuff or participate in any photography groups or anything Gary? Or do you just believe in learning yourself?
Clint I pretty much find my own way the fact I know I over edit some shots and recover too much detail in regard of street shots should mean I can fix that short coming, as for seeing the good shot I feel I just need to keep practicing :)

Come on Tim get out and do it mate(y)

I also need to improve my drone flying skill and confidence

as for seeing the good shot I feel I just need to keep practicing :)
This is a real sticking point for many. For myself, it comes down to mood. If I'm in the mood to shoot I can see all kinds of shots. If I'm not, I don't see any.

Editing can be so time consuming. I rely on Lightroom presets: find those that work for your style and stick to them.

As for the raw discussion: it was time consuming for me as well. When I took pictures with my Xperia smartphone I shot raw and then spent hours editing them to my liking. Actually I spent more timing editing than taking pictures. So when I bought the A7C I took a drastic decision: shooting JPEG only (Xtrafine JPEG, that is). It's unforgiving, as you may lose a picture that could have been saved had it been raw... but it's also a learning process, as you get used to getting it right on the go. Anyway, Xtrafine JPEG lets you save some lights and shadows and details, more than enough for me. I know this will horrify many people haha.

It's all about trying and experimenting until you find what works for you...

Last edited:
Engagement/Wedding, enough said for me.

I'm going to be the odd one with a different response again. I'm really happy with where my photography is at at this point. As Gary has said he believes in being self taught and simply learning along the way. I watched the Chris Bray camera tutorial video when I first bought my RX100 and the rest I've worked out as I go.

Apart from the street art images I post where I just want to frame the beautiful street art, I remind myself often on camera to try to look at something a bit differently than my default thought of trying to squeeze as much in as possible. It's the things you leave out of an image which make it special.

But as I said, I'm really happy with it. My results make Liz and I feel good every week. I feel like I'm on a healthy steady upward trend. Not too fast, not too slow, nice little incremental improvements. All is just fine and dandy in down town Cronulla. 🌞

One thing everyone can do to at least get a different outlook is to go on photo walks with a group. Some camera shops do them, there are Facebook groups, etc. Not something you'd probably want to engage in regularly, but once in a while can be helpful for inspiration or just a fresh eye. My local shop will do walks with the local rep every once in a while. I am going to keep watch and try to attend the next time the Sony rep is involved. There's probably some SWAG involved too!

One thing everyone can do to at least get a different outlook is to go on photo walks with a group. Some camera shops do them, there are Facebook groups, etc. Not something you'd probably want to engage in regularly, but once in a while can be helpful for inspiration or just a fresh eye. My local shop will do walks with the local rep every once in a while. I am going to keep watch and try to attend the next time the Sony rep is involved. There's probably some SWAG involved too!
maybe a nice a9iii Tim?

I like my street shoots to be unintrusive, but everyone has their own style and approach to each genre. I'm too shy to get close to a stranger, I don't want them to feel uncomfortable and I don't like feeling like my camera stands out in the environment. I guess that's why I use the camera and the lens that I use.

As for me I'd like to give macro and wildlife a try. And also get better at portraits.

That's funny! To be honest, on the whole I hate people in my shots. I wish I didn't because the amazing street shots are where people are utilised...

On camera: Get out of my photo!
Off camera: Come here I want to talk to ya!

That's funny! To be honest, on the whole I hate people in my shots. I wish I didn't because the amazing street shots are where people are utilised...

On camera: Get out of my photo!
Off camera: Come here I want to talk to ya!

Haha I totally feel you, I used to be like that as well and even now I tend to take a second picture without people. My friends used to tell me that cities and places always seemed so quiet and lonely in my pictures, as I always waited for a silent moment where nobody was seen. Even in crowded places like Rome or Tokyo.

But eventually I realised that pictures with people can tell a story or really capture the vibe of a place or a moment.

The picture of Lecce that won in the non pro contest past month started with me taking a picture of that empty street. Then a neighbor put that bike while he was locking the door. In a second I had to decide: shall I take the picture now? Shall I wait until he's gone and the street is empty again? Will it be empty by then? And now I know that the picture wouldn't be complete without the human ingredient, the bike. You can't see the owner but he's there... And it tells you something about life in Lecce...

Haha I totally feel you, I used to be like that as well and even now I tend to take a second picture without people. My friends used to tell me that cities and places always seemed so quiet and lonely in my pictures, as I always waited for a silent moment where nobody was seen. Even in crowded places like Rome or Tokyo.

But eventually I realised that pictures with people can tell a story or really capture the vibe of a place or a moment.

The picture of Lecce that won in the non pro contest past month started with me taking a picture of that empty street. Then a neighbor put that bike while he was locking the door. In a second I had to decide: shall I take the picture now? Shall I wait until he's gone and the street is empty again? Will it be empty by then? And now I know that the picture wouldn't be complete without the human ingredient, the bike. You can't see the owner but he's there... And it tells you somethinr about life in Lecce...
Glad to see you chatting Alex :)

The picture of Lecce that won in the non pro contest past month started with me taking a picture of that empty street. Then a neighbor put that bike while he was locking the door. In a second I had to decide: shall I take the picture now? Shall I wait until he's gone and the street is empty again? Will it be empty by then? And now I know that the picture wouldn't be complete without the human ingredient, the bike. You can't see the owner but he's there... And it tells you somethinr about life in Lecce...
If anyone wants to be a successful photographer, this is your thought process. Someone should pin it to the top of the forum. Alex, I wish I had your insight and artistic sense.

I've slowly changed. I guess I started out seeing myself as a landscape photographer so it seemed weird when people were in my images in the city or whatever. I'll utilise people where I think it's beneficial but I still don't convey their emotion in my images like you do mate.

If anyone wants to be a successful photographer, this is your thought process. Someone should pin it to the top of the forum. Alex, I wish I had your insight and artistic sense.

I think photography is about welcoming the unique moments / images / scenes that you find. It takes time to get used to that, as we like planning every detail of the frame in advance to get a perfect shot. But when the unexpected crosses your camera, that moment that you didn't planned means that it will be a picture that only you could get. Because only you were there and then.

Anyone can take a picture of the Eiffel Tower in Paris with a pleasing composition. But that bird that crosses the frame or that lady in a green dress holding her hat that "ruins" your carefully planned frame... They're helping you to get a magic photography.

But even if I write that, still today I complain whenever I'm preparing a picture of a building and a truck parks right in front of it or a cloud changes that perfect light of a second ago... These two things happened to me this Sunday haha.

I think photography is about welcoming the unique moments / images / scenes that you find. It takes time to get used to that, as we like planning every detail of the frame in advance to get a perfect shot. But when the unexpected crosses your camera, that moment that you didn't planned means that it will be a picture that only you could get. Because only you were there and then.

Anyone can take a picture of the Eiffel Tower in Paris with a pleasing composition. But that bird that crosses the frame or that lady in a green dress holding her hat that "ruins" your carefully planned frame... They're helping you to get a magic photography.

But even if I write that, still today I complain whenever I'm preparing a picture of a building and a truck parks right in front of it or a cloud changes that perfect light of a second ago... These two things happened to me this Sunday haha.

And then you get the other side. My Opera House reflection shot. I hated the people being in it but the bird was amazing! 👏

Saturday is usually my big day on the camera each week. On Friday night I think about the possibilities of tomorrow till I fall asleep. Then I wake up at about 430am all excited ready to rock, similar to when I raced motocross where the excitement/anxiousness caused me to have to force my breakfast down. 🌞

Back