Followers
Following
Name
Denny Medley
Country
United States
City/State
Kansas City, MO
Another burning question that I cannot seem to find an answer to is, does the a9II have an internal battery to keep the settings & clock set, as some other cameras do? And if so, what type of battery is it, where is it, and can the user replace it?
It's not often, but I have had to replace those in previous Nikon bodies that I've owned and would like to keep a backup handy "just in case" for my a9IIs!

Thanks in advance for any helpful answers

I expect there is an internal battery but this isn’t replaceable by the user, at least easily. My main cameras rarely go very long without a battery and I’ve never turned them on to discover I needed to reset the date/time. My a7RIII I hadn’t used for a few months and found this needed resetting when I turned it on. If you are needing to reset date/time after only having the main battery out for a brief period then I’d send it in to be fixed if still under warranty.

Timothy, thanks very much for your answer!
I actually ended up calling the Sony Pro folks, and they confirmed that there is indeed an internal battery, but it's not user replaceable. It IS however, rechargeable, and charges off of the main camera battery (s) when they are in the camera. And they couldn't tell me an actual battery life, but said that it's very rare that it fails and/or has to be replaced. So I feel much better knowing that.

I actually ended up calling the Sony Pro folks, and they confirmed that there is indeed an internal battery, but it's not user replaceable. It IS however, rechargeable, and charges off of the main camera battery (s) when they are in the camera. And they couldn't tell me an actual battery life, but said that it's very rare that it fails and/or has to be replaced. So I feel much better knowing that.
Good to know that it charges off the main camera battery and rarely needs replacing. Glad that you feel better knowing this, so do I :)

Technically, it’s probably not a battery (which stores the power chemically), but rather a super capacitor.
Batteries wear out after a number of charge/discharge cycles, but super capacitors don’t. The catch is that a super capacitor doesn’t hold as much energy, so it won‘t hold your settings as long as a coin cell will, but it won’t need replacing in the projected life of the camera!

Sony Article ID : 00012770:
The camera has an internal rechargeable battery for maintaining the date, time, and other settings. This information remains saved in the camera regardless of whether the main battery pack is installed or not, or whether the power if off or on. The internal battery is continually recharged when the camera is turned on and in use.

NOTE: The internal battery discharges gradually if the camera is only used for short periods of time. If the camera is not used at all for approximately 3 months, the internal battery becomes completely discharged.

Click for Sony Article

Sony Article ID : 00012770:
The camera has an internal rechargeable battery for maintaining the date, time, and other settings. This information remains saved in the camera regardless of whether the main battery pack is installed or not, or whether the power if off or on. The internal battery is continually recharged when the camera is turned on and in use.

NOTE: The internal battery discharges gradually if the camera is only used for short periods of time. If the camera is not used at all for approximately 3 months, the internal battery becomes completely discharged.

Click for Sony Article

garuda - thanks for posting. That's pretty much exactly what the pro support folks told me!

Back