United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Lenses cleaned? Check!
Settings in order? Check!
Batteries charged? Check!
Cards empty? Check!
Bag(s) packed? Check!

The biggest event of the year at the Milan Dragway, the "Detroit Dragway Reunion" is this weekend. The Detroit Dragway closed in 1998 due to local community pressure. This event brings back many of the original racers, who in their day were 20 year-old kids. Unbelievably, many have kept their cars. Other cars have been sold and purchased by guys who still race them in their original form.

I usually go out for the main event on Saturday, but this year am going out for two days for the first time. Gates open at noon Friday and I plan to get there around 2:00. Friday is mostly test-tune for the big event Saturday, but they do have a Gambler's Race. Friday ends at 10:00 pm. Then I have to go home and upload images so all my cards are empty for the long day Saturday which starts for me around 9:00 a.m.. I'll try to stay until it's over, which could be 11:00 or so if there's no rain out. The weather forecast keeps going back and forth between partly cloudy and showers late, so we'll see.

This is all about nostalgia racing. There's also a car show with a special display of original funny cars and dragsters that raced at Detroit back in the day.

351529823_283381167441191_6849900741612124923_n.jpg

wow under 12s free you can not even get a baby bump in free in the UK to anything

Will you be wearing the Samyang shirt..? 😀
Nope. I'll be wearing a Detroit Dragway shirt, proclaiming SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Detroit Dragway! Funny Cars!

If you can relate to that ad copy, FYI, it started at Detroit Dragway. Not sure it made it to Australia, but it became a national advertising method for motorsports over here.

Nope. I'll be wearing a Detroit Dragway shirt, proclaiming SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! Detroit Dragway! Funny Cars!

If you can relate to that ad copy, FYI, it started at Detroit Dragway. Not sure it made it to Australia, but it became a national advertising method for motorsports over here.

Lol nice one! No mate, we didn't get that here. That US trend must have slipped through.

No images. We had a tragedy at the track today. A mechanical failure resulted in the death of a crew member. I will wait an appropriate amount of time and ask the track if they want any racing images posted, but I'm guessing they will say no.

An official statement from a local radio station was just issued. It is confirmed that the crew member passed.

He was in the process of backing up (guiding) a Funny Car. The car had just completed a burnout and was backing up to stage, when it inexplicably went into full throttle. It hit two people, one was grazed and the other was driven over. It then hit another Funny Car staged behind it. There was a small fire and afterwards I saw a chunk of the blower missing. I think the blower cracked and drew in air, which could have the same effect as hitting the throttle. It's fortunate that it was a BB/FC which burns alcohol, rather than an AA/FC burning nitro.

Tragically, it's a family racing team. The victim is the driver's grandfather.

Racing is dangerous. Everyone involved knows it. I have to sign a special waiver every time I go out there. The victim is in his early 80's, and a tough old dude. He passed doing something he loved.

Back