Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
All GM Drag, Drive, Show and Slide. A different kind of event at the Dragway. It wasn't as well attended as they'd hoped, maybe it will grow. It consisted of a drifting competition, a car show, drag racing and a 20-mile cruise for any street legal vehicle that wanted to participate.

Shooting sliding was kind of weird. The cars aren't moving very fast at all, the best way to convey motion is with tire smoke, but not all of them generated smoke, while others looked like they were laying down a smoke screen for a battleship!
DSC02860 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03203 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03083 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

A few other brands showed up, I think the attendance was low enough that if they hadn't let them compete, it would've been a failure. This Mustang caught fire, couldn't have been too bad because he went back out later.
DSC02927 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

A couple from the very small show:
DSC04748 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC04743 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

And racing. I've started doing more shooting from the starter's box on these events with less attendance. I'd like to do more on some of the bigger events too many people milling around. Great location for burnouts!
DSC02676 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02663 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02707 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02954 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

A non-GM, but I guess when you own the track you can race whenever you want.
DSC03055 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

All GM Drag, Drive, Show and Slide. A different kind of event at the Dragway. It wasn't as well attended as they'd hoped, maybe it will grow. It consisted of a drifting competition, a car show, drag racing and a 20-mile cruise for any street legal vehicle that wanted to participate.

Shooting sliding was kind of weird. The cars aren't moving very fast at all, the best way to convey motion is with tire smoke, but not all of them generated smoke, while others looked like they were laying down a smoke screen for a battleship!

A few other brands showed up, I think the attendance was low enough that if they hadn't let them compete, it would've been a failure. This Mustang caught fire, couldn't have been too bad because he went back out later.

And racing. I've started doing more shooting from the starter's box on these events with less attendance. I'd like to do more on some of the bigger events too many people milling around. Great location for burnouts!

Great shots, I particiular like the last one, the red mustang doing its stuff, great capture. But some are a little painful to see. I just had to change all four tyres (tires for the cousins across the pond) on one of my cars, cost me UK£1300 (US$1700, AUS$2500) and I have to take my other car in for its annual check - that'll be another four tyres I'm afraid!

The guy with the maroon Camaro in the first and third shots came up and asked where he could find the photos. After I told him I asked if he was going back out. He said: "In a little while, I used up those tires and have the change them." I guess it goes with the territory. He'd probably think what we spend on camera gear is painful!

Last edited:

I like the DSco2663 photo with on of the spectators covering his ears, gives a real sense of the event.

I like the DSco2663 photo with on of the spectators covering his ears, gives a real sense of the event.
If that's what does it for you, then you should love this one:
DSC05667 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

It would probably be nice to go out there just once and shoot with a more artistic goal, but this is far more pragmatic than that. It's really even simpler than photojournalism. It's all about shots the track can use for advertising and owners/drivers/fans can buy. If you ever click through to the Flickr album you'll find a few people shots in the pits or something happening at the starting line, but those never get a sidelong glance or comment. The car is the king.

Back