Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Tomorrow is Rememberance day, 11/11/2023. Commonwealth countries remember when the guns in Europe fell silent at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918, bringing the first world war to an end. I particularly remember my grandad who served in the Dardanelles as a sergeant in the British Army, and again in World War II in the North African theatre of war. I also remember my uncle who didn't return from WWII and my mum and dad who endured many hardships during WWII. At the end of WWII grandad continued his service in the colonial police service. He was one of the lucky ones, he came home from two great conflicts.

I'll raise a couple of glasses of my finest whiskey to all the vets, from all conflicts tomorrow.
Thank you for your service.
Lest We Forget.

Correction: this weekend is Rememberance weekend, the Saturday is Armistice day and the Sunday is Rememberance Sunday,

granddads_medals_front_hdr-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 134.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/60 sec
  • ISO 16000
granddads_medals_reverset_hdr-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 130.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 16000
granddads_medals_front_pillow_hdr-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 10000
granddads_medals_reverse_pillow_hdr-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 87.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 12800

Last edited:
well done Ed we have military roots in the family going back generations respect (y)

Veteran's Day here. Thanks to all who served.

My dad fought in the Philippines, my mom was a Rosy the Riveter and built B-24 Liberators at the Ford Willow Run Bomber Plant. That plant turned out well over 8,000 bombers during the war with one rolling off the assembly line every 58 minutes.

Bomber-Plant-Story-2.jpg

Last edited:
well done Ed we have military roots in the family going back generations respect (y)
Same here, grandad, British army WW1 and WWII, uncle WWII, dad, Royal Navy apprentice shipwright WWII, shipwright Royal Australian Navy, uncle Korea Royal Australian Army, cousin, Royal Australian Army Vietnam, nephew Royal Australian Navy.
Veteran's Day here. Thanks to all who served.

My dad fought in the Philippines, my mom was a Rosy the Riveter and built B-24 Liberators at the Ford Willow Run Bomber Plant. That plant turned out well over 8,000 bombers during the war with one rolling off the assembly line every 58 minutes.

Bomber-Plant-Story-2.jpg
The greatest generation, we owe them so much.

Same here, grandad, British army WW1 and WWII, uncle WWII, dad, Royal Navy apprentice shipwright WWII, shipwright Royal Australian Navy, uncle Korea Royal Australian Army, cousin, Royal Australian Army Vietnam, nephew Royal Australian Navy.

The greatest generation, we owe them so much.
We can go all the way back to Rorke's drift , and Grandad joined up as youngster and did 30 plus years, finished up at Buckingham Palace as Sargent major, I have his bear skin hat badge and swagger stick, Dad Korean war bomb disposal and munitions, brother in law 25 years on subs, Falklands war

We can go all the way back to Rorke's drift , and Grandad joined up as youngster and did 30 plus years, finished up at Buckingham Palace as Sargent major, I have his bear skin hat badge and swagger stick, Dad Korean war bomb disposal and munitions, brother in law 25 years on subs, Falklands war
Wow, Rorke's Drift goes back to 1879 - did your anscestor get a mention in that great movie? And a guardsman at the palace, very nice. I bet they would have some stories to tell. My Grandad never spoke of his experiences. Every ANZAC day in Australia, he would get into his uniform, put his medals on and march in the parade and have a skin full with commrades. He'd get an ear full from my gran when he eventually got home, and that would be it until next year. I'd ask, but he would always change the subject.

Wow, Rorke's Drift goes back to 1879 - did your anscestor get a mention in that great movie? And a guardsman at the palace, very nice. I bet they would have some stories to tell. My Grandad never spoke of his experiences. Every ANZAC day in Australia, he would get into his uniform, put his medals on and march in the parade and have a skin full with commrades. He'd get an ear full from my gran when he eventually got home, and that would be it until next year. I'd ask, but he would always change the subject.
Rather not say on the Rorke's drift thing, it unsets some people, he did loose a leg, and as we know lots of Vc medals given, my Dad would not speak about Korea apart from the odd thing, he passed now, I had an uncle he was in Burma and Singapore during ww2 and had to stay on after the war, for 2 years in Japan after the bombs, my Grandad died when I was young and he was as hard as nails he scared us kids to death, my dad and his sisters saw him very little as kids so grandma brought up 5 kids almost single handed, a hard life

I have ancestors that fought in the Revolutionary War.

Sorry guys! :ROFLMAO:

Also War of 1812, (sorry again!) and Civil war, both sides.

Back