Following
Name
Martin Godwyn
Country
Canada
City/State
Vancouver
Hey All,

I have a mechanical issue with my A7R5 - the assignable top dial is locked down and won't budge. I sent it to Gentec and despite being under warranty they are seeking to bill me on account of finding a water droplet on the outside of the USB ports, voiding the warranty (despite me operating the camera only under normal usage conditions - yes, in the rain sometimes, just like you see in their advertising). To make matters worse, despite that fact that the camera is operating just fine other than the stuck or stiff dials, they insist on charging me for a new motherboard as well ($$$) and refuse to repair the stiff dials without replacing the motherboard.

Unhappy as you might expect about being price-gouged, I'm wondering if there is any alternative repair service in Canada that anyone knows about who might be willing and competent to undertake a mechanical repair of my camera.

Any info appreciated!

Cheers,

Martin Godwyn

I have been disappointed with the options for Sony repair options in the US. My experience with Precision Camera was very poor to say the least. I sent in my 100-400GM because the tripod collar stopped rotating. At first I got a repair estimate for about $800 that only said "return camera/lens to factory condition" but my insurance company wanted a detailed repair list that at least included the item being repaired. When requesting an itemized repair estimate I got back an estimate for $1050 that now said "return lens to factory condition". When I told them that wasn't sufficient and I was going to need an explanation about why there was an increase and why a tripod collar repair cost $1050 they then sent me an estimate for $1200 that said it was to "return Sony lens to factory condition". At this point the insurance company relented on the need for details. When I got the lens back several weeks later the rear plate wasn't properly screwed in. I notified Sony about this experience and they only said that since the lens wasn't under warranty they can not do anything, I wasn't looking for them to do anything but it would have been nice if they would have at least said they would note the experience.

My experience with Photo Tech was much better except for the fact that they said it was taking them a long time to get in some screws to finish the lens repair (this time the 200-600 which I tested it's bouncability on concrete). Only issue this time was that FedEx lost my lens for a week.

Back