Name
Mark Day
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Lincolnshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This time 4 weeks ago I was at the biggest airshow in Europe, the Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) at RAF Fairford. Over the six days of arrivals, show days and departures we had some torrential rain one minute and blazing sun the next.
Allsorts of aircraft abound, some of which I'd never seen in the nine years I been doing this (including a flying B52!)
A7409821.jpg
Monday - 3 stars-1010.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/22
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 100
Sunday - 3 stars-2136.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 800
Sunday - 3 stars-1268.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 441.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 320
Saturday - 3 Stars-503.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1250 sec
  • ISO 160
A7400166.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 318.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 200

Great photos. Personally, I never tire of aircraft photos.

Awesome

The ME262 was supposed to be art Thunder Over Michigan a few years ago, but it was a no-show.

great images! thanks for sharing

Awesome shots Mark. I had tickets for the Friday but took one look at the weather forecast and decided to stay at home! Maybe next year :)

A quick questions about Airshows in other countries. As a pilot, I have attended more than a few Airshows, and I have never paid for one that I could remember. In the UK, or other countries, is there an admission charged. I'm going to an Airshow next month that I attended last year and it is stupid expensive.

Last edited:
A quick questions about Airshows in other countries. As a pilot, I have attended more than aa few Airshows, and I have never paid for one that I could remember. In the UK, or other countries, is there an admission charged. I'm going to an Airshow next month that I attended last year and it is stupid expensive.
I've only been to two different airshows in the UK and they both charge. Hardly surprising though as I expect they cost a few quid to put together. I just checked the prices for RIAT which is the largest here and that's £65 for a single days general admission next year, but you can also pay hundreds more for various upgrades.

Go to a military base. The biggest air show in Michigan, and one of the top ten in the country is Thunder Over Michigan, they charge $180 for a car full (as many as you can squeeze in legally) for a 1/2 day show, $325 if you stay the entire day. I stopped going when they went to a 1/2 day. Conversely, the air show at Selfridge Air National Guard Base is free.

I have a free one coming up in March at Travis AFB which is about 45 minutes from where I live. I'll post a pictorial report here. The best airshows I have ever attended were in Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada. We would fly in there in light planes and sit on the grass or lawn chairs and enjoy a show unencumbered by the US FAA. It's been years since I attended. I think that's what they call "The Good Old Days".

Here is a link to information about the show at Travis in March.

Back