Sony A7S III Running the a7s off the mains

Sony A7S III Resources: Memory Cards | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

philh

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
PHIL HALPER
I have a sony a7s III. I have plugged it into the mains via usb. The little lightning bolt symbol pops up indicating it is taking charge from the mains. Yet after a few hours it switches off and the battery is run down. Any tips on what to do ? Thanks

Hi,
I have a sony a7s III. I have plugged it into the mains via usb. The little lightning bolt symbol pops up indicating it is taking charge from the mains. Yet after a few hours it switches off and the battery is run down. Any tips on what to do ? Thanks
Hi, philh,

As long as the power is on, the battery pack will not be charged even if the camera is connected to the AC Adaptor.
Under certain conditions, power may be supplied from the battery pack supplementarily even if you are using the AC adaptor.

Source: https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/1720/v1/en/contents/TP0001653088.html

Doesn't sound like you're accessing the direct power. The little lightning bolt symbol says it's charging. What you want to see is this:

Capturea.JPG

A battery with an electrical plug. See the notes, it looks like there are several caveats. the first bullet point says you must use the USB Type C for power, not the micro USB.

This is the correct link for your camera's manual. The previously supplied link is for a M3, not an SM3.

Hi, Phil.

As I read those notes from the help guide, I come to two conclusions.
  1. As long as the power is on, the battery pack will not be charged even if the camera is connected to the AC Adaptor.
    When the camera is turned on - the battery can drain normally, as though it is NOT connected to the AC Adapter (any AC adapter)
  2. Under certain conditions, power may be supplied from the battery pack supplementarily even if you are using the AC adaptor.
    Even though you are using an AC Adapter, the battery may supply power to the camera - and in the process, the battery can be depleted
  3. You can't expect the camera to run indefinitely when connected to an AC Adapter. The type of adapter probably doesn't matter.
I don't have an A7 SIII, but on both my A1 and A7 IV - if I connect them to an AC adapter, but leave the camera turned on, the battery will not charge, and may drain over time.

Sony A7S III Resources: Memory Cards | Firmware | User Guide | Price Check: B&H Photo

Back