DaveC Oz

Well Known Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Dave
Looking for help with my A7CR. My older camera (A6600) was easy to operate remotely via a generic cable release connected to the micro USB port. The new camera has a USB-C port but doesn't seem to support its use for shutter release. The only options that I have discovered so far are the Sony Remote RMT-P1BT which seems to get quite a mixed, at best review, or the Sony Creators app, which I have used so far. I would much prefer something with a physical button so that glove removal, or looking at screens was not necessary. My main usage is astrophotography and long exposure landscapes, phone batteries run down quickly if used for a number of hours. Any solutions/suggestions appreciated.

I got a JJC Infrared Wireless Camera Shutter (sure it comes in other names) it cost $7 in the US so probably like 11 prawns for you. It worked great with an A6000, A9, A7Riv and an A1.

Looking for help with my A7CR. My older camera (A6600) was easy to operate remotely via a generic cable release connected to the micro USB port. The new camera has a USB-C port but doesn't seem to support its use for shutter release. The only options that I have discovered so far are the Sony Remote RMT-P1BT which seems to get quite a mixed, at best review, or the Sony Creators app, which I have used so far. I would much prefer something with a physical button so that glove removal, or looking at screens was not necessary. My main usage is astrophotography and long exposure landscapes, phone batteries run down quickly if used for a number of hours. Any solutions/suggestions appreciated.
If you use iPhone, try Camrote app. I don't know if it supports A7CR, but it works great on A7iii/iv, 9, and 7R. You should try it.

The A7CR has a bulb timer. Do you do exposures longer than 15 minutes?
No most of my longer exposures tend to be 10-15 seconds, but I do need to be able to take successive identical exposures without having to touch the camera. All of my cameras since 1981 have worked with a simple corded switch to trigger the shutter, prior to that it was a cable release. The wireless triggering has me a bit sceptical. I've seen too many times where electrical interference has completely negated wireless tech.

Back