Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have walked this way a few times birding but never seen this before.
Not even sure how it was moved there and I am not going to try to guess.

I know its part of the weir on this island where I was but its a log distance from that part.
The shot I seen before I took it and I like how it turned out.
On the right side was the truck of a tree which I cropped out.
AREA Outside (970).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 134.2 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 800

It's so cool to find items that are completely out of place and come up with ideas of how it came to find their current resting spot.

Hmmmmm If the weir is about 80-100 years old they would have brought the materials in using a quickly laid narrow gauge railway. Cheers

They still use some sort of scale wheels to drag the weir up and out of the Murray when we are in flood.
Looks quite different without the weir in place when that happens to James Mansell Read.

I think we have entirely different ideas of the meaning of weir, mine is rocks and such across the entire river to create deeper water upstream without affecting the flow, yours sounds very much like what I would call a 'sluice gate'. Cheers - J

Yes, our weir's block the river off to a certain height. And if needed they add in more board to keep the river level on one side higher.
Usually on the other side it is up to about 2.5 to 3 meters lower and boats need to go through a lock where they raise or lower the water to the side they are going to.
But the base is on a set or sets of rails with boards or something to block the water there as well.
So these wheels would of been use on the base of the weir at some time.
The weir has only been out I think about 5 times or a few more in 30 odd years.

I have a feeling that the trucks for the lack of the real word for them are quite simular.
But having to be under water 24/7 they are a little different.
I think they winch them out of the water when they have to the open the both sides of the lock doors

Back