Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Post your Samyang and Rokinon 24/1.8 shots here!

I had need for a wide/fast lens, and since 'fast' in zoom speak still means 2.8, I had to buy a prime. This lens is very compact and light, fairly typical of Samyang's compact lens materials. Not a bad choice for the cost, currently on sale at B&H for $400.

DSC01275 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01277 by telecast, on Flickr

DSC01280 by telecast, on Flickr

Last edited:
I just looked at that lens on B&H, its almost as compact as some APSC lenses I've seen. The resulting images look sharp enough!

I bought the Sony 24mm f/1.4 not long after it came out, but it’s not seen a lot of use - this lens might well do the same job (at presumably a much lower price) - I don’t do a lot of wide angle shooting.

Looks like you have a keeper there!

Based on Fowler's comments, I thought a trip to Compact Camera Meter was in order:

Capture.JPG

Losing 1/3 stop compared to the Sony seems to be about the only drawback. Weight was surprising, 445g compared to 230, or about 1lb compared to 1/2lb.

It's weather sealed, has a two-mode switch to choose between DMF and Aperture, a focus hold button that is assignable, and an LED that indicates infinity focus has been reached for astrophotography. That's quite a few features for the size and price!

Last edited:
Did you consider the tiny Sony G at all Timmy or was cost the number one factor here? Needless to say, I'd doubt there'd be any difference in IQ between the two.

Did you consider the tiny Sony G at all Timmy or was cost the number one factor here? Needless to say, I'd doubt there'd be any difference in IQ between the two.
The Sony G is 2.8, not fast enough.

The main factor (besides speed) was very limited use. I just don't use these enough to warrant spending $1300 for the Sony or even $800 for the Sigma. With it on sale for $100 off, it wasn't too hard to decide, especially buying from B&H. If it turned out to be crap it could've gone back no questions asked.

I have to say, this is the 4th Samyang/Rokinon lens I've owned, and so far they've all been fine. My 35/1.4 is stellar. None of the QA/QC warnings I've read about have materialized (yet).

The Sony G is 2.8, not fast enough.

The main factor (besides speed) was very limited use. I just don't use these enough to warrant spending $1300 for the Sony or even $800 for the Sigma. With it on sale for $100 off, it wasn't too hard to decide, especially buying from B&H. If it turned out to be crap it could've gone back no questions asked.

I have to say, this is the 4th Samyang/Rokinon lens I've owned, and so far they've all been fine. My 35/1.4 is stellar. None of the QA/QC warnings I've read about have materialized (yet).

Too early in the morning, I was thinking my 40mm version was slower... 😄

I had the Samyang 35mm f1.8 on my A7III and I had absolutely zero complaints about it.

This thing really is a steal. I couldn't ask for anything more.

I did some shooting @ 135mm yesterday to test the FL and it's pretty good. The Samyang/Rokinon 1.8 tests as good as the Sony for less than half the cost, in fact B&H has one on sale right now for $800. I think I'm going to try one. If it's as good as this I'd be pretty happy.

DSC03554 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03565 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03581 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

That moment, when the tree turns green, the car squats its rear end and (in this case) pop a wheelie, awesome capture Tim.

This thing really is a steal. I couldn't ask for anything more.

I did some shooting @ 135mm yesterday to test the FL and it's pretty good. The Samyang/Rokinon 1.8 tests as good as the Sony for less than half the cost, in fact B&H has one on sale right now for $800. I think I'm going to try one. If it's as good as this I'd be pretty happy.

DSC03554 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03565 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC03581 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr
Looks like you have a lot of nasty factors to deal with bright light, shadows, glare etc ,anyway rather you than me Tim😎

Looks like you have a lot of nasty factors to deal with bright light, shadows, glare etc ,anyway rather you than me Tim😎
Plus it was later afternoon/early evening and the sun was getting to a spot where shooting from the other side would've been directly into it. If these were actual event shots I'd try to reduce glare it in post, but this was more about the lens' overall performance. You see glare, I see very well-controlled flare! :p

Love the stress in that rear tire as the rim tries to rip itself free of the sidewall - nice!

Love the stress in that rear tire as the rim tries to rip itself free of the sidewall - nice!
The tires are bolted to the rim, it's the only way they can keep them from spinning free. This is just a bracket car, maybe 700-900 HP. Top Fuel dragsters and funny cars and generate 10,000 HP. The nostalgia funny cars and dragsters cars I shoot usually come in between 4,000 and 6,000 HP.

Plus it was later afternoon/early evening and the sun was getting to a spot where shooting from the other side would've been directly into it. If these were actual event shots I'd try to reduce glare it in post, but this was more about the lens' overall performance. You see glare, I see very well-controlled flare! :p
I think we have said this before but some of the shots you posted on here I viewed on flicker because I wanted to see the metadata and some shots look better on that platform, I have noticed that with some of my shots on here as well or maybe it these old eyes

I think we have said this before but some of the shots you posted on here I viewed on flicker because I wanted to see the metadata and some shots look better on that platform, I have noticed that with some of my shots on here as well or maybe it these old eyes
You're not wrong. This site downgrades images from Flickr for some reason. I sometimes notice it on the rare occasions I upload directly to the forum as well.

It's hard to put up an argument against that mate, they look fine. 🌞
However, having tried two copies on my A6700, be aware that they will not achieve focus in CAF mode. I used my copy succesfully on both my A6400 and A7M4 and really loved it, but when my A6700 arrived it was clear that in CAF it would constantly hunt and never settle on focus point, let alone track. Thinking I might have a rogue I checked another copy on A6000, A6400 A7ZM4 and A6700. This second copy showed same issue; fine on all but the A6700. Anyone else out there send this issue?

However, having tried two copies on my A6700, be aware that they will not achieve focus in CAF mode. I used my copy succesfully on both my A6400 and A7M4 and really loved it, but when my A6700 arrived it was clear that in CAF it would constantly hunt and never settle on focus point, let alone track. Thinking I might have a rogue I checked another copy on A6000, A6400 A7ZM4 and A6700. This second copy showed same issue; fine on all but the A6700. Anyone else out there send this issue?

That's very interesting. Could it be a software issue with the Samyang communication and the new Sony AF system. Have you contacted Samyang or Sony at all?

Since it works fine on everything else, sounds like a problem in Sony's software. I would send it to Sony's CS department with a full explanation, maybe they'll take a look at it and actually do something.

Oh...wait...it's Sony... :ROFLMAO: :LOL:

Almost certainly that's the issue. At the moment I'm relying on my camera store (ie the company with whom I have protection under UK consumer law) to take this up with either or both companies. So far Samyang UK's response has been that all lenses hunt to some degree, which means they aren't interested and nor does it sound like they want to try and replicate the issue in order that they can then take this up with Sony. Unfortunately my camera store can't get hold of demo copies of the camera yet in order to see the issue first hand. So, for the time-being I'd suggest caveat emptor, and before you buy this lens, hoping to use it on an A6700, try before you buy.
For clarity, it hunts continuously in CAF, never holding focus for more than a second and it will not track.

Almost certainly that's the issue. At the moment I'm relying on my camera store (ie the company with whom I have protection under UK consumer law) to take this up with either or both companies. So far Samyang UK's response has been that all lenses hunt to some degree, which means they aren't interested and nor does it sound like they want to try and replicate the issue in order that they can then take this up with Sony. Unfortunately my camera store can't get hold of demo copies of the camera yet in order to see the issue first hand. So, for the time-being I'd suggest caveat emptor, and before you buy this lens, hoping to use it on an A6700, try before you buy.

For clarity, it hunts continuously in CAF, never holding focus for more than a second and it will not track.

Unless you have something stating that lens will work with that camera, I'm not sure how it falls under consumer protection. Moreover, it doesn't sound like its Samyang's problem, it's Sony's problem.

Unless you have something stating that lens will work with that camera, I'm not sure how it falls under consumer protection. Moreover, it doesn't sound like its Samyang's problem, it's Sony's problem.
We're quite lucky in the UK that consumers have a right to expect a product to be fit for purpose. So when a lens is advertised for use with Sony E/FE then it should do just that, or list caveats. However, one's right to remedy is only through the company you buy a product or service from. It is then for the retailer to deal with the manufacturer. But the problem in this case is, as you say, that Sony may have made changes which break this compatibility and, given they have their own FE 24F14 GM, there's little incentive for them to help Samyang out. 'Twas ever the case with 3rd party lenses, they forever have to play catch up.

Sony may have made changes which break this compatibility and, given they have their own FE 24F14 GM, there's little incentive for them to help Samyang out. 'Twas ever the case with 3rd party lenses, they forever have to play catch up.
I don't think that's true at all. One reason Sony has risen to their position in the industry is their licensing of third-party lenses. Lens companies don't just automatically make lenses for any mount they want without permission. If you want proof of that look no further than Canon's recently issued Cease and Desist order. Nikon has just now decided to allow third-party for their Z mount and have started with Tamron's trinity of 2.8 zooms rebranded as Nikon. Sony licenses many companies and has the largest stable of lenses available for any mount.

A direct complaint to Sony's CS would at least be noted, and enough complaints would result in a firmware update. Approach it how you want, but a proactive communication directly to the manufacturer would make certain it gets to the correct department.

Agreed and I've posted on the Sony Camera Community page, but can you advise on best route for a direct complaint to Sony's CS. I've had a quick look at Sony UK's website and their CS search button link is broken, so a bit stuck on a way forward.

Thanks Brownie, that got me through to someone and while I know that one person's response doesn't constitute corporate policy, i though a couple of points made be a Sony USA rep worth repeating here, not least regarding your earlier comment about their support for 3rd party lenses. Firstly a not very bright, defensive response about CAF:
Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 16.17.08.jpg

So clearly no understanding about the usefulness of CAF, lock on subject and then recompose while using tracking - the essential substitute for no joystick. Then, a per pro, of your comment about how keen Sony are to support their partners, this:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 16.28.17.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-06 at 16.28.17.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 42
Thanks Brownie, that got me through to someone and while I know that one person's response doesn't constitute corporate policy, i though a couple of points made be a Sony USA rep worth repeating here, not least regarding your earlier comment about their support for 3rd party lenses. Firstly a not very bright, defensive response about CAF:View attachment 44416

So clearly no understanding about the usefulness of CAF, lock on subject and then recompose while using tracking - the essential substitute for no joystick. Then, a per pro, of your comment about how keen Sony are to support their partners, this:
Well that's just silly. Given that, no lenses would work on the 6700. What an idiot. I'd keep going but change to the telephone instead of texts, and I'd start another line of communication to Samyang.

Hey, @Fraser-Cave, Sony just issued a firmware update for the 6700. You never know what they may fix behind the scenes. Good luck!

Back