Sony A6700 Screen turned in turns camera off?

Slug

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Close
Just acquired a new A6700 and noticed that if you turn the screen in to protect it I can't just use the viewfinder as it turns viewfinder off too. Am I missing something or is this normal?

I can answer my own question after playing with it.
Press the shutter half down and it comes alive again, or if you turn the camera on from scratch with the screen turned it works normally.
(I'm used to a Panasonic FZ series with a full articulated screen which works differently)!

There is a setting that, by default, links turning the screen inward to power save, and opening the screen again to power save off.

If you change this setting to Does Not Link, the camera will not go into power save mode when you turn the screen inwards.
Thanks I couldn't find anything in the menu, I'll have to look a bit harder!

I had the same issue, I wanted to turn the screen inwards sometimes to cut down on distraction and save my low light vision shooting indoors. Tony's post is the solution.

Each model will have it's nuances. I don't know about the a6700, but I think it is a sleep mode, not a full power down. It comes back to life quicker.

My a7iv has this. It also has a monitor-off timeout. Back to ready, for that, is instant, so one can set it to seconds to save battery. Unless you are doing something that requires you to just look at the monitor for periods.

I strongly recommend the books by either David Busch or Friedman, which cover every camera setting. Especially when we get models that are substantially different from Sony cameras we may have known before.

Back