Sensor Cleaning

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Markjav.arw

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 31, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
Good day all,

I am going to be cleaning my camera for the very first time and I am definitely nervous. What sensor cleaning swab and blow kits do you guys reccomend? Thanks!

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Big air blower, and I bought some swabs specifically FF sensor sized from Amazon. I never use the cleaning solution that comes with them though. There are several brands but they all look the same.

Mark Winter

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 16, 2020
Name
MarkW
Country
United States
City/State
Ellicott City
I have a few items for sensor cleaning. First, I use Giotto blower. Second, I met, and bought from Curt Fargo, who co-taught one of the workshops I was on. He owns a company that provides sensor cleaning supplies. Here is his website: https://www.curtfargo.com/. Click on sensor cleaning. I only bought a loupe and a brush to clean my sensor. I do have a wet kit as well, but I have only had to use it 1-2 times. Normally it is just dust, and the blower and brush do a great job. There are also a number of articles on his site on how to do the cleanings. Once you do it 1-2 times, it is really easy. I hope that this helps.

Drewid

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 17, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Lincolnshire
I bought swabs from Amazon and agree the first time I was nervous as hell but I've always thought if a person can do this and I'm a person then 'crack on'! Now after 3 cameras I'm fully comfortable with the process and don't worry in the slightest. It's become my standard maintenance.

Steveatesh

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 30, 2020
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
North East England
After over two years of use my sensor was a bit grubby to say the least but I was nervous about cleaning it. I bought the VGSO fully frame swabs and the Giotto rocket blower. First user was never wracking, it took 3 wet swabs to clean the sensor but they worked a treat. It’s really not difficult at all, just follow the instructions and your done 👍🏻

celin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
I agree with what everyone else said. It is easy to do. Biggest suggestion is to clean it somewhere where the dust is low. Take your time and don’t reuse your swabs, especially if the sensor is quite grubby. You don’t want to scratch it.

Mark Winter

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 16, 2020
Name
MarkW
Country
United States
City/State
Ellicott City
Thanks for the additional link for lens rentals. It is always good to see more info on this.

Reactions: Ziggy

galatas

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 2, 2020
Thank you Ziggy for the link. I´ve neer tried to do it myself. Really affraid. But as Drewid says: if a person can do it.........

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Cool. If you follow the steps you may not need to do surgery, and don't forget on most sensors you're not even touching the sensor.

Reactions: PeterDClark

spudhead

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
gary smith
Country
United Kingdom
I use an artic butterfly on my sensors but that is fine unless its really stuck on

celin

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
Good day all,

I am going to be cleaning my camera for the very first time and I am definitely nervous. What sensor cleaning swab and blow kits do you guys reccomend? Thanks!
I agree with everyone’s suggestions. First think I do is use the automatic cleaning mode by the camera, then an airblower. If absolutely necessary I swab it

tcoquelin

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
How I blow dust out off the sensor:
  • on a tripod
  • without lens
  • pointed at a remote small light
  • turned on
  • focus peaking to red/max
Then I zoom 100% and go over the whole sensor to find what needs to be cleaned. Any dust will light up like a Christmas tree ...

Reactions: spudhead

G J Jay

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 24, 2020
First I use the in camera dust removal tool but from experience this rarely seems to work, then a rocket blower, this seems to work most of the time. If the dust persists I use an arctic butterfly brush, which is very effective. I did wet clean a sensor on a dslr a few years ago but was very nervous of causing damage but it was ok.

spudhead

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
gary smith
Country
United Kingdom
First I use the in camera dust removal tool but from experience this rarely seems to work, then a rocket blower, this seems to work most of the time. If the dust persists I use an arctic butterfly brush, which is very effective. I did wet clean a sensor on a dslr a few years ago but was very nervous of causing damage but it was ok.
HI thanks for in put I guess I will do the a7iii or a99ii and then the a9

spudhead

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
gary smith
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few items for sensor cleaning. First, I use Giotto blower. Second, I met, and bought from Curt Fargo, who co-taught one of the workshops I was on. He owns a company that provides sensor cleaning supplies. Here is his website: https://www.curtfargo.com/. Click on sensor cleaning. I only bought a loupe and a brush to clean my sensor. I do have a wet kit as well, but I have only had to use it 1-2 times. Normally it is just dust, and the blower and brush do a great job. There are also a number of articles on his site on how to do the cleanings. Once you do it 1-2 times, it is really easy. I hope that this helps.
thanks thats a good link and read

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.