Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
San Diego
Good day all,

I am going to be cleaning my camera for the very first time and I am definitely nervous. What sensor cleaning swab and blow kits do you guys reccomend? Thanks!

Big air blower, and I bought some swabs specifically FF sensor sized from Amazon. I never use the cleaning solution that comes with them though. There are several brands but they all look the same.

I have a few items for sensor cleaning. First, I use Giotto blower. Second, I met, and bought from Curt Fargo, who co-taught one of the workshops I was on. He owns a company that provides sensor cleaning supplies. Here is his website: https://www.curtfargo.com/. Click on sensor cleaning. I only bought a loupe and a brush to clean my sensor. I do have a wet kit as well, but I have only had to use it 1-2 times. Normally it is just dust, and the blower and brush do a great job. There are also a number of articles on his site on how to do the cleanings. Once you do it 1-2 times, it is really easy. I hope that this helps.

I bought swabs from Amazon and agree the first time I was nervous as hell but I've always thought if a person can do this and I'm a person then 'crack on'! Now after 3 cameras I'm fully comfortable with the process and don't worry in the slightest. It's become my standard maintenance.

After over two years of use my sensor was a bit grubby to say the least but I was nervous about cleaning it. I bought the VGSO fully frame swabs and the Giotto rocket blower. First user was never wracking, it took 3 wet swabs to clean the sensor but they worked a treat. It’s really not difficult at all, just follow the instructions and your done 👍🏻

I agree with what everyone else said. It is easy to do. Biggest suggestion is to clean it somewhere where the dust is low. Take your time and don’t reuse your swabs, especially if the sensor is quite grubby. You don’t want to scratch it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the additional link for lens rentals. It is always good to see more info on this.

Thank you Ziggy for the link. I´ve neer tried to do it myself. Really affraid. But as Drewid says: if a person can do it.........

Cool. If you follow the steps you may not need to do surgery, and don't forget on most sensors you're not even touching the sensor.

I use an artic butterfly on my sensors but that is fine unless its really stuck on

Good day all,

I am going to be cleaning my camera for the very first time and I am definitely nervous. What sensor cleaning swab and blow kits do you guys reccomend? Thanks!
I agree with everyone’s suggestions. First think I do is use the automatic cleaning mode by the camera, then an airblower. If absolutely necessary I swab it

How I blow dust out off the sensor:
  • on a tripod
  • without lens
  • pointed at a remote small light
  • turned on
  • focus peaking to red/max
Then I zoom 100% and go over the whole sensor to find what needs to be cleaned. Any dust will light up like a Christmas tree ...

interesting It seems a good idea and new to me thanks

First I use the in camera dust removal tool but from experience this rarely seems to work, then a rocket blower, this seems to work most of the time. If the dust persists I use an arctic butterfly brush, which is very effective. I did wet clean a sensor on a dslr a few years ago but was very nervous of causing damage but it was ok.

First I use the in camera dust removal tool but from experience this rarely seems to work, then a rocket blower, this seems to work most of the time. If the dust persists I use an arctic butterfly brush, which is very effective. I did wet clean a sensor on a dslr a few years ago but was very nervous of causing damage but it was ok.
HI thanks for in put I guess I will do the a7iii or a99ii and then the a9

I have a few items for sensor cleaning. First, I use Giotto blower. Second, I met, and bought from Curt Fargo, who co-taught one of the workshops I was on. He owns a company that provides sensor cleaning supplies. Here is his website: https://www.curtfargo.com/. Click on sensor cleaning. I only bought a loupe and a brush to clean my sensor. I do have a wet kit as well, but I have only had to use it 1-2 times. Normally it is just dust, and the blower and brush do a great job. There are also a number of articles on his site on how to do the cleanings. Once you do it 1-2 times, it is really easy. I hope that this helps.
thanks thats a good link and read

Yes thanks I found out the maker had released information stating they had several claims from sony camera owners, I did not buy these in the end given the facts

Brian Smith has good advice on the available methods to try (and the recommended products):

The local camera store, if you have one, will sometimes clean the sensor for free.

Note that you are cleaning the top layer of the filter stack that is over the sensor. That filter stack is quite tough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzrS3aSJWE

Brian Smith has good advice on the available methods to try (and the recommended products):

The local camera store, if you have one, will sometimes clean the sensor for free.

Note that you are cleaning the top layer of the filter stack that is over the sensor. That filter stack is quite tough. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzrS3aSJWE

Great post! The YouTube link was very helpful and I learned a lot. Henceforth I will use the box-cutter solely for removing dust particles and stop using it for removing any oil stains. LOL Seriously, this as good a vid as I have seen on the subject. Thanks for the link. And I ordered cleaning supplies as outlined by Brian Smith. I have one camera with a dust speck the size of a soccer ball. Well, almost.

thanks that's a good link and read
Interesting! This morning I talked to a fellow named "Curt" who owns "The Dust Patrol", a nearby shop that sells camera cleaning supplies mentioned in the link above. I believe this is Curt Fargo. I'm going there this morning to buy a Loupe and some other bits.

Looks like we are at cross purposes I actually bought and used the dust patrol swabs and fluid I thought the above was one of the other products mentioned in his article, I will say the dust patrol swabs are expensive here in uk but worked really well

Looks like we are at cross purposes I actually bought and used the dust patrol swabs and fluid I thought the above was one of the other products mentioned in his article, I will say the dust patrol swabs are expensive here in uk but worked really well
FWIW, I went to the shop owned by Curt Fargo (Fargo Enterprises, Inc, Micro-Tools & The Dust Patrol) this morning and bought a Loupe and some cleaning tools. spudhead, I paid $21.95 US for 12 Swabs, so they are expensive here as well. I'm sure Mr. Fargo probably imports these items, but if he knows that they work and he goes to the trouble of stocking them and offers good Customer Service, I guess you have to pay the price. I'm not one who believes I can re-invent the wheel and I don't want to risk damage to my Sensor. The good news for me is that his shop is 38 miles from my house and a place that I pass by 2 to 3 times per month.

Back