Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Posting this just for gee-whiz information, found it at the Rumor site and thought some may find it interesting. I don't think it's meant to be a top list or anything, just a comparison of some of the more popular cameras. I don't know how old this is but would assume the A7R V is slightly faster than the R IV due to the newer processor. I also note the Z8 is missing, but it should be near identical to the Z9. Kind of surprised too where the Canon R5 comes in at, I would've thought it would be faster. Very surprised at the difference between the A9II and A1, that's some kind of speed with a 50MP sensor.

e84f3097af67b14b0f887c0d32ef515352218ac32d55778bf13249ea8ecd787e.jpg

I imagine the reason the mechanical shutter is shown as 3ms is not because it's that fast, but because that's how much rolling shutter you see when using it? Seems odd to have it as a single value, because we know different mechanical shutters have different speeds of traverse (given the different in flash sync speeds between cameras).

Also, the global shutter doesn't mean the sensor reads out in 0ms - it doesn't, and never can - it does take time to read the sensor.

Perhaps this chart is shows the difference in time between reading out the top line and the bottom one?

I imagine the reason the mechanical shutter is shown as 3ms is not because it's that fast, but because that's how much rolling shutter you see when using it? Seems odd to have it as a single value, because we know different mechanical shutters have different speeds of traverse (given the different in flash sync speeds between cameras).

Also, the global shutter doesn't mean the sensor reads out in 0ms - it doesn't, and never can - it does take time to read the sensor.

Perhaps this chart is shows the difference in time between reading out the top line and the bottom one?
It's just as a general comparison. I wouldn't overthink it.

Interesting, though probably meaningless in the rest world.

Some of it is interesting information, like how Canon is using standard sensors with no backlighting or stacking, yet they're squeaking decent speed out of them. Most people would never need the advantage provided between the best and worst. 80ms is still fast in my book.

Interesting, though probably meaningless in the rest world.
It is useful. It in a way reflects flash sync speed on ES from what I discovered.
X-H2s - 1/125
OM-1 - 1/100
A1 - 1/200

Like using ES for macro so that I have zero shutter shock and now I can have flash.

the a9iii Should mean fewer excuses for messing up shots it even going to record the stuff before you hit the shutter button idiot proof I would think?

Back