a9 Setting minimum shutter speed in custom program

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Jonathan Hanson

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 8, 2020
Everyone,

I'm trying to set up my number 1 custom setting on the mode dial for action shooting, using aperture priority and auto ISO. I've successfully registered everything (focus tracking, etc.) except the minimum shutter speed in auto ISO. If I'm in 1 on the mode dial, and I use the menu to get to auto ISO, and choose 1/2000 minimum shutter speed, than go to the MR Memory setting in menu and hit the center button, it says "registered." But when I go back to use the camera it's not set with the minimum shutter speed—I get whatever the camera thinks it needs. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Can you have two settings that float?

Jonathan Hanson

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 8, 2020
Not sure what you mean? I'd like to have the number 1 custom dial setting not give me any shutter speed lower than 1/2000. I set the auto ISO to that minimum but it doesn't seem to register. I'm following Mark Galer's setup for action photography, using aperture priority, auto ISO, and camera-determined shutter speed, but I can't seem to lock in the minimum shutter speed.

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
In action photography shutter speed comes first in my book with ISO floating, because freezing the subject is the priority.

But can you assign your settings to a custom button and have them stick?

Jonathan Hanson

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 8, 2020
Ziggy, thanks for following up. Agreed on shutter speed, which is why I'm trying to set the minimum at 1/2000, with me choosing aperture and the camera controlling ISO and shutter speeds above 1/2000. But when I set the "ISO minimum shutter speed," then press the button to register it with the "1" on the mode dial, it doesn't stick.

Ziggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Well, I haven't tried doing what you want but to my mind the camera can decide one of those if the other two are set. So try setting SS at 2000.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.