Sony A9 Setting minimum shutter speed in custom program

Jonathan Hanson

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Everyone,

I'm trying to set up my number 1 custom setting on the mode dial for action shooting, using aperture priority and auto ISO. I've successfully registered everything (focus tracking, etc.) except the minimum shutter speed in auto ISO. If I'm in 1 on the mode dial, and I use the menu to get to auto ISO, and choose 1/2000 minimum shutter speed, than go to the MR Memory setting in menu and hit the center button, it says "registered." But when I go back to use the camera it's not set with the minimum shutter speed—I get whatever the camera thinks it needs. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!

Can you have two settings that float?

Not sure what you mean? I'd like to have the number 1 custom dial setting not give me any shutter speed lower than 1/2000. I set the auto ISO to that minimum but it doesn't seem to register. I'm following Mark Galer's setup for action photography, using aperture priority, auto ISO, and camera-determined shutter speed, but I can't seem to lock in the minimum shutter speed.

In action photography shutter speed comes first in my book with ISO floating, because freezing the subject is the priority.

But can you assign your settings to a custom button and have them stick?

Ziggy, thanks for following up. Agreed on shutter speed, which is why I'm trying to set the minimum at 1/2000, with me choosing aperture and the camera controlling ISO and shutter speeds above 1/2000. But when I set the "ISO minimum shutter speed," then press the button to register it with the "1" on the mode dial, it doesn't stick.

Well, I haven't tried doing what you want but to my mind the camera can decide one of those if the other two are set. So try setting SS at 2000.

Back