Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

settings? (wildlife logging)

Andrew C

Followers
Following
As mentioned in my other thread I could do with some advice on settings.
I photograph everything from bugs and fungi to birds and mammals. But not on dedicated photography sessions but as part of nature walks or hikes.
I'm still a bit confused about all the various setting available to me (a7iv camera), and which would be best for me.

Currently I photograph in Aperture priority mode and have the following settings;
Raw + Jpeg (compressed)
Drive Mode, Single Shooting
Silent Mode: Off
Shutter Type: Mechanical Shutter
ISO auto
ISO auto min SS: standard
White Balance Auto
Focus Mode: Continuous AF (toggle c3)
Priority Set in AF-C/AF-S: AF
AF tracking Sensitivity: 5 (Responsive)
AF illuminator: Off
AF w/Shutter: On
Pre-AF: Off
Focus Area: Tracking: Expand shot
Focus Area Limit: Tracking: Expand Spot
Face/Eye Prior. : On
Face/Eye Subject: I have set a toggle for this People/Bird/Animal (c4)

I find I don't always get my subjects in focus, and not always the right part of the animal. The eye tracking seems a bit random. Sometimes I get it, and other times I don't. Also when focusing on vey small subjects I don't know if they are in focus or not.

Are these a good set of settings? should I be looking at other settings? should I be changing modes more? Any advice welcomed, but please explain why.

thanks
Andrew

My suggestions.

You should change to Shutter Speed Priority as this is going to be more important than Aperture. I know all those professionals say to use aperture priority but they are also using F2.8 or F4 lenses and also that mode makes no sense with modern cameras and any subject that moves. The fact that modern cameras do so much better with noise and there are very good noise reduction postprocessing tools (that are only getting better) why would you set your aperture and then adjust your ISO to get to the shutter speed you want? Why would you not just go to manual set your aperture and shutter speed and then let the camera set the ISO? Sorry about the rant. Shutter Speed Priority is better because you are going to be dealing with faster moving subjects and longer focal lengths. So between the subject movement and your ability to be stable will determine what Shutter Speed to use.

You should also be on either Low or Medium frame rate (adjust those to your desire) and not single shot. This because you will be most likely dealing with moving subjects. Also this can help when using slower shutter speeds as the act of pushing the shutter button can cause motion but holding it down does not. I don't know if I have ever use single shot with any of my cameras.

The ISO range is something that you should play with. Test various levels to see what base you are happy to live with and what base whatever denoising software you have works great with. For me with nature stuff I do not see a reason to use lower than 400 on my A1 as nobody can tell the difference between a shot at 100 vs 400+denoise.

I have not found a situation in which AF tracking Sensitivity at is useful 5. I personally wouldn't use over 3 as it seems to me that over 3 and it is just too sensitive and jumps off the subject too easily. This does tie in with both the focus area you are using and your ability to put the subject in the focus box or near center frame. This is something that you would need to play with but I suggest when starting first use 3. If 3 doesn't seem like it grabs the target well then move up to 4 and repeat. In testing this do not just use a single target, you need a good variety in subjects to see how it really works as at least with birds it finds some eyes much better than others.

Focus Area is something you are going to have to test with to see which makes the most sense for you. I tend to use the small box as it is more obvious as to what it is focusing on but I also have years of practice and can easily bringing the camera to my eye and have the subject center of frame.

For metering I would avoid using Entire Screen. I tend to use Spot or Center as in wildlife I want to make sure the subject is not blown-out and I care less if the sun is breaking through some leaves at the edge of frame.

Rest of the stuff is fine.

Thank you for your long and detailed reply. I will look at your suggestions and try them out.

New in Marketplace

Back