Sony A7R V Where is EYE AF on a7rV?

AlphaMax

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Max
I am a newbie to the a7rv. I'm used to using the a7iii. And I'm having a couple issues with autofocus with the new a7rv.

1. On the a7rv, Is there a setting for Eye Af?
On my a7iii I map one of the back buttons to use Eye AF and another button for AF on. That way one is used to focus on a person and the other is used with a small spot focus to focus on objects. But on the a7rv I can't seem to find the Eye AF option anywhere to map to the button.

This makes it hard because when I am shooting it automatically finds a person's face but if I want to focus on something else it won't let me. Is it possible to have 2 different buttons like I did on my a7iii? One for Eye Af and the other for just regular AF On?

I am a newbie to the a7rv. I'm used to using the a7iii. And I'm having a couple issues with autofocus with the new a7rv.

1. On the a7rv, Is there a setting for Eye Af?
On my a7iii I map one of the back buttons to use Eye AF and another button for AF on. That way one is used to focus on a person and the other is used with a small spot focus to focus on objects. But on the a7rv I can't seem to find the Eye AF option anywhere to map to the button.

This makes it hard because when I am shooting it automatically finds a person's face but if I want to focus on something else it won't let me. Is it possible to have 2 different buttons like I did on my a7iii? One for Eye Af and the other for just regular AF On?

It's no longer called Eye AF, because it doesn't work the same way. Now it's called Subject Recognition. If you set it, for example, to Human, it looks for humans in the chosen focus area. It starts by putting a box around any humans it finds, then refines that to torso, then head, then eyes.

https://helpguide.sony.net/ilc/2230/v1/en/contents/TP1000669440.html

Shows you how to turn Subject Recognition on or off. I think that's what you are looking for.

Note that if it finds more than one human, it will box them all, but one will will have a white box, while the others will have grey - you can move from one to another using the joystick.

Back