W-23mm.jpg

23mm F1.4 DC DN | Contemporary (APS-C)
  • Lens construction: 13 elements in 10 groups
  • Shortest shooting distance: 25cm
  • Maximum magnification: 1:7.3
  • Filter diameter: 52mm
  • Size: φ65.8 x 76.9mm
  • Weight: 340g
The above specs and picture come from Sony Alpha Rumors. I was really looking for a lens of this quality and focal length a few years ago, but I'm not sure I want something this large. I think in my mind a 23mm (34.5mm FF equivalent) should be closer to a "pancake" lens, or at least a bit more compact. It would have been interesting, if they had limited their design to f2.0, to see how compact they could have gotten this lens.

Anyone interested in seeing this upcoming lens in action?

Personally I don't see the need for such a large aperture at this focal length.

f2.8 gives plenty of bokeh in my own personal opinion and if im carrying this sort of lens around, I want it to be light and pocket sized.

DSC08078.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400
DSC06780.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 100
DSC06757.JPG
  • ILCE-6600
  • FE 35mm F2.8 ZA
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/4000 sec
  • ISO 1600

I like 35mm F1.4 full frame for my architectural interiors. It provides more scope with less light sources, and 35 is nicely matched to 14mm F1.8 GM.

For ApS-C I have a Sigma 10-20 zoom which is F4 and desperate for more aperture.

Last edited:
It does seem as though a lens like that defeats the purpose of a compact body. I see so many new lens releases that don't make any sense to me. 🤷‍♂️ Still, I'm sure it will appeal to someone.

It does seem as though a lens like that defeats the purpose of a compact body. I see so many new lens releases that don't make any sense to me. 🤷‍♂️ Still, I'm sure it will appeal to someone.
My Pentax aps-c did really well from 2009-2017 until iPhone took most of the application. Low light, high shutter speed… the specialties… you need an SLR. Full frame adds cropping. That’s why I shifted over to mirrorless. The A7iv offer the same shutter speed as my DSLR. ISO is higher… but that suits web only, I think. The real advantage is Mp and AF. The iPhone has the Mp now, but not the glass or AF.

Weight isn’t a real problem for me unless I throw 2kg Sony 200-600mm on the en d of the camera body. I’m finding to primes completely manageable. The 135mm is obtrusive only because the size attracts unwarranted attention. The 85, 35, 20 and 14 are wonderful primes. I do love using the 135 though, even for birding. So much easier to toss around when birds are in flight.

The APS-C range is a different school of thought, for me. I’m pretty happy throwing them on my full frame, but for an additional body, I’m using my 12y old Pentax atm. It’s only obsolete in AF stakes.

Video is my next thought

Video is my next thought
Now, not to get Tim started, but video quality (especially if focus breathing is well controlled) could help this $550 lens seem somewhat worth the expense. This lens + a6xxx would balance well on a small gimbal, if video is your thing.

Back