so what do find hardest about about photography at the moment?

Hardest thing right now? Finding time to really focus on photography (no pun intended). My kid started walking last month, so now I spend all my free time chasing after her lol
That said, I do have her first birthday party and a few family trips coming up where I will try to snap a few photos while still being present in the moment.
+1 So many other things needing to be done - just finding the time or motivation to take a different image is often a challenge.
Maybe selecting the best pictures when you return home with far too many. Now I try to get only one shot of each subject or moment, to help myself in the selection.
lol.. came home with over 2,000 images today. The struggle is real. :)

+1 So many other things needing to be done - just finding the time or motivation to take a different image is often a challenge.

lol.. came home with over 2,000 images today. The struggle is real. :)
Ok but are you saying you do not have any idea when you press the shutter button down if the shots were good or not? because I hear that a lot when out and about. Or is a case of finding a stand out image, :) because that is the quest we are all on, that is sort of why we do it

Ok but are you saying you do not have any idea when you press the shutter button down if the shots were good or not? because I hear that a lot when out and about. Or is a case of finding a stand out image, :) because that is the quest we are all on, that is sort of why we do it
It's more just picking the shot that I like the best.

Today was just a bunch of similar shots so culling through them quickly was a little bit of work. Literally just finding the best example of a particular burst.

I find myself thinking that I've already taken that shot from this vantage point so trying to come up with a different view of the same thing is an issue so that is a thing for me too.

That's hectic! I done 12,000 shutter actuations last YEAR! 😳
Hehe… 2,000 yesterday was using restraint. :D

Part of the problem was the small boat situation. Lots of motion of the boat and the inability to pan smoothly - people or bar obstructing the shot and the water was so deep we weren’t anchored - just drifting. Fun nonetheless. 😎

Same as some others, free time!

Used to trail walk camera in hand and had plenty of time to focus on capturing the moments on my walks.. after the wife decided to get us back into having dogs (no regrets on my side by the way as I love them to bits) but… guess who is the only one who walks them.. I prioritise their walks and basically take them every where whenever I leave the house on my walks. Try juggling a camera and two dogs mainly on leads.

Some days it’s doable but most days it’s not 😕

Trying to carry it with me on my daily commute, so far not too much use has come from it… so it tends to come out for travel mainly and that can be a few months between work, trips, work, trips 🙃

Used to trail walk camera in hand and had plenty of time to focus on capturing the moments on my walks.. after the wife decided to get us back into having dogs (no regrets on my side by the way as I love them to bits) but… guess who is the only one who walks them.. I prioritise their walks and basically take them every where whenever I leave the house on my walks. Try juggling a camera and two dogs mainly on leads.
I can relate to the dog walking issue. When I had only the one dog, I would take my camera along some of the time, but now with two, I find it almost impossible to combine activities.

As to my own struggles, my biggest problem is probably GAS. Aside from that, weather and distance for my astrophotography, time to process images for the horse shows that I photograph for my wife, and at the moment figuring out the best way to optimise the A7CR for me.

Some days it’s doable but most days it’s not 😕

Trying to carry it with me on my daily commute, so far not too much use has come from it… so it tends to come out for travel mainly and that can be a few months between work, trips, work, trips 🙃
I hear you. If I'm after birds, its usually either binos + camera, or binos + dog. One look from the dog about to be left behind usually means the camera loses.

My current problem is the most basic thing possible: holding the camera!

I guess there was a time when I knew how to hold a camera properly, and maybe even did so, eg with my sweet Olympus OM1. But I don't now. I forgot. Plus I only had small lenses back then.

All this lack of proper discipline was fine with the smaller a6nn cameras. Somehow it isn't with an a7-something.

Somehow I missed this thread earlier....

Well, it's a no-brainer for me to say that I shoot pretty much every day, and so my absolutely most problematic situation is doing something with the images after I have shot them. I love being out there shooting images, capturing interesting sights, rapidly acquiring images in burst mode when birds are particularly active. Unfortunately those huge folders full of many files accumulate all too quickly and hence therein lies the problem. When will I find time to actually review/cull and process everything? Also, of course I still seem to accumulate files when simply playing with macros and such at home on not-so-nice days when the weather is uncooperative.

So, yeah...... The major problem comes in later when I have to deal with all those images I have happily shot: first viewing them in the computer and hopefully culling them, then actually settling down to spend some time processing/editing them. Somehow the folders of not-yet-viewed, unprocessed RAW files seem to accumulate faster than I can address them. Well, goshdarnit, real life does also get in the way, doesn't it?

Right now I am behind on post-processing/editing big-time, but am hoping that maybe this winter I can make a dent in some of this when it's too cold or nasty to even think of going out and when I don't have other responsibilities to which to attend.

Definitely all of this affects me in another way as well, as I also need to have plenty of external drive space upon which to first temporarily dump the folders and files and later the final results of my editing! Just recently had to purchase yet another one, when the last time several months ago I thought I was all set for a while.

Oh, but I love all of this, can't imagine my life without photography.......

Last edited:
The purchase of my 1st Sony pretty much coincided with the spread of Covid. I was wary of going anywhere as I have a high risk health history. Things subsided and and I finally started getting out. A year ago on our Wedding Anniversary my Wife and I went to Tahoe. A great place to shoot pictures. We both came home with Covid. We did both survive! I did a fair amount of shooting this year and I anxiously awaited the Fall season. When Autumn came, I celebrated by taking a fall and wracked my self up pretty good. I managed to do a "Face Plant" in an asphalt parking lot. The worse part of the damage was to my right femur, after having my right hip replaced in February. Recovery, all though not complete yet, exceeded six weeks. Are you seeing a trend here?

I traveled a good part of the world as a Professional Pilot, most of which was without a camera but I began some photography when pocket digital cameras came out. The early digital cameras, for the most part, pretty much sucked, but around 2000 to 2003 they got to be somewhat useful. I have a couple of albums on Flickr from the early days of digital after I ran the JPEGs through Lightroom, were at least viewable. One is A Day in Vienna, in 2001 and another is MotoGP - Jerez, Spain in May 2003. How great it would have been to have a Sony mirrorless camera back then. Going forward, wish me luck getting my butt out of the house and shooting more in 2024!

o, yeah...... The major problem comes in later when I have to deal with all those images I have happily shot: first viewing them in the computer and hopefully culling them, then actually settling down to spend some time processing/editing them. Somehow the folders of not-yet-viewed, unprocessed RAW files seem to accumulate faster than I can address them.

Oh that... Absolutely.

I've got into this thing of photographing concerts. And the musicians have got into this thing of expecting my pics. At the moment I'm ten concerts behind and heading into a mega-month festival with multiple concerts per day.

Hardest things right now are:
  1. a day job which rules out photography on weekdays, and sometimes leaves me a bit weary on weekends
  2. the long wait for the actual release of the 300mm GM
We are having crazy weather here, too. Saturday was continuous rain. Sunday was originally meant to be a repeat, but ended up dry - I got some good shots.

Hardest things right now are:
  1. a day job which rules out photography on weekdays, and sometimes leaves me a bit weary on weekends
  2. the long wait for the actual release of the 300mm GM
We are having crazy weather here, too. Saturday was continuous rain. Sunday was originally meant to be a repeat, but ended up dry - I got some good shots.
Tony Uk weather 3 weeks of heavy rain and some snow off the back of flooding, 70 mph winds 2 days running and 14 hours rain on both days. I have not shot images for over 3 weeks and all that time had the worst bout of flu ever

Tony Uk weather 3 weeks of heavy rain and some snow off the back of flooding, 70 mph winds 2 days running and 14 hours rain on both days. I have not shot images for over 3 weeks and all that time had the worst bout of flu ever
Gary, I'm in the same boat. Weather in London has been crap, lots of rain and really cold. And I've had my first cold/flu in 4 years, and I just can't shake it, been coughing for about 10 days. So I haven't taken a shot since 2nd December.

I have been taking that medicine every night. A 15 year Glenfeddich (Solera).
Ed coming up to 4 weeks of coughing my gusts up mate , easing a bit now, I was told it is similar to whooping cough.

Packed my camera in my rucksack
For the last two days commuting.. yet to find enough time to take a break and consider taking a picture 😢

Will keep it with me for the rest of the week to see if I can change that 💪 😂

Sounds to me like you timed your influenza superbly - you’d feel worse if you’d been sick during 3 weeks of perfect weather, only to see the rain roll in when you felt better…

My GP strongly recommended getting the flu vaccine, saying this year’s strains were particularly nasty - sounds like he was right.

Last edited:
I have this problem where pretty girls keep photo-bombing my seascapes!

Surfer r.jpg
  • ILCE-1
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 200

The purchase of my 1st Sony pretty much coincided with the spread of Covid. I was wary of going anywhere as I have a high risk health history. Things subsided and and I finally started getting out. A year ago on our Wedding Anniversary my Wife and I went to Tahoe. A great place to shoot pictures. We both came home with Covid. We did both survive! I did a fair amount of shooting this year and I anxiously awaited the Fall season. When Autumn came, I celebrated by taking a fall and wracked my self up pretty good. I managed to do a "Face Plant" in an asphalt parking lot. The worse part of the damage was to my right femur, after having my right hip replaced in February. Recovery, all though not complete yet, exceeded six weeks. Are you seeing a trend here?

I traveled a good part of the world as a Professional Pilot, most of which was without a camera but I began some photography when pocket digital cameras came out. The early digital cameras, for the most part, pretty much sucked, but around 2000 to 2003 they got to be somewhat useful. I have a couple of albums on Flickr from the early days of digital after I ran the JPEGs through Lightroom, were at least viewable. One is A Day in Vienna, in 2001 and another is MotoGP - Jerez, Spain in May 2003. How great it would have been to have a Sony mirrorless camera back then. Going forward, wish me luck getting my butt out of the house and shooting more in 2024!
My streak continues! So my wife and I planned a driving trip to Seattle to visit our Son before Christmas. We were to leave on Saturday (2 days from now) but, my Cardiologist intervened and said no trips. So the day after Christmas at 0900 I have a Cardiac Catherization procedure.

My streak continues! So my wife and I planned a driving trip to Seattle to visit our Son before Christmas. We were to leave on Saturday (2 days from now) but, my Cardiologist intervened and said no trips. So the day after Christmas at 0900 I have a Cardiac Catherization procedure.
What are they doing? I had three heart attacks and a stent put in back in August. My heart is perfectly healthy, I had one artery with a 95% blockage.

What are they doing? I had three heart attacks and a stent put in back in August. My heart is perfectly healthy, I had one artery with a 95% blockage.
Looking for and hopefully repairing any blockages. As for now, the Doc doesn't want me doing ANYTHING! As it stands now, just getting dressed leaves me panting for breath and chest pressure as well as signs of lack of oxygen to vital areas. The Golden years SUCK!

Back