a7 IV Sony a7 IV Images and First Impressions

Welcome to Our Alpha Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
M4 vs A1 studio comparison. Absolutely same camera, lens and flash settings, both on tripod, same positions, both manually focused and triggered with 2s timer.

Can you tell witch is witch without looking at the Exif ?
21-12-24 12h43m20s #0053 L.jpg

21-12-24 12h53m37s #0054 L.jpg

Brownie

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Darktable has updated and will now open A7 IV files. Download 3.8.0

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
M4 vs A1 studio comparison. Absolutely same camera, lens and flash settings, both on tripod, same positions, both manually focused and triggered with 2s timer.

View attachment 15575

View attachment 15576

View attachment 15575

View attachment 15576
Well I thought maybe a single hair on her left eye might show the difference, but no. Can you tell without looking at EXIF, Afonso?

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Well I thought maybe a single hair on her left eye might show the difference, but no. Can you tell without looking at EXIF, Afonso?
No I can’t, not even doing A/B comparisons on a 32” 4K monitor. So far A1’s extra resolution has only benefitted me on achieving more reach trough aggressive cropping on my surf shooting sessions. For everything else (Non-action) the M4 results (Not the usage experience - because A1’s EVF is amazing) are equivalent or superior (Smaller files, better ISO performance, longer lasting batery).
For pairing with fast lenses like the 50 f1.2 A1 also has the edge over M4 because it can go to 1/32000 on bright outdoors. I don’t do landscape or architecture at all, Wich are 2 other areas where A1 probably delivers better results than M4. If I already had the M4 on A1 release day I would probably had gone to a 2x M4 kit instead.

Last edited:

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
No I can’t, not even doing A/B comparisons on a 32” 4K monitor. So far A1’s extra resolution has only benefitted me on achieving more reach trough aggressive cropping on my surf shooting sessions. For everything else (Non-action) the M4 results (Not the usage experience - because A1’s EVF is amazing) are equivalent or superior (Smaller files, better ISO performance, longer lasting batery).
For pairing with fast lenses like the 50 f1.2 A1 also has the edge over M4 because it can go to 1/32000 on bright outdoors. I don’t do landscape or architecture at all, Wich are 2 other areas where A1 probably delivers better results than M4. If I already had the M4 on A1 release day I would probably had gone to a 2x M4 kit instead.
Interesting comments, thank you. I just received my M4 this afternoon and loaded it with Mark Galer's CAMSET file. Boom, instant M4, fully programmed. Now I can think about Christmas with full attention. Thank you for your testing and Merry Christmas.

Ed Bray

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Edward Bray
Interesting comments, thank you. I just received my M4 this afternoon and loaded it with Mark Galer's CAMSET file. Boom, instant M4, fully programmed. Now I can think about Christmas with full attention. Thank you for your testing and Merry Christmas.
Hi Jeff, what CAMSET file did you use please?

Ed Bray

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Edward Bray
Yes I am, but I couldn't find the A7iv version, then I clicked another heading and there it was.

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Yes I am, but I couldn't find the A7iv version, then I clicked another heading and there it was.
Excellent. Press on. BTW, don't forget to participate in Mark's monthly forum. I have asked numerous questions and always get insightful answers, and usaually in less than 24 hours.

Gionni

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi, I'm reading and seeing a lot of unboxing video of the a7iv and noticed that Sony don't supply the battery charger but only a power brick.
I'm a bit confused, since I always used a battery charger for my Pentax, how does it work with the Sony? You have to charge the battery inside the camera and plug the camera to a usb port of a PC? How long does it take to fully charge this way?
Would you recommend to buy an external battery charger?

Ed Bray

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Edward Bray
I bought a dual battery charger with a couple of batteries from Amazon cost was £46 (NP-FZ100 Battery Powerextra 2 Pack Camera Replacement Batteries and Dual LCD Battery Charger Compatible with Sony A9 A9R A9S, Alpha9 9R 9S, sony a7iii battery A7RIII A7R3 Digital Camera), I have used them a couple of times and all is good, They recharge the Sony battery in about 2.5 hrs.

My wife bought me a Grip for the camera which also had a couple of batteries with it for about £90.

Brownie

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Hi, I'm reading and seeing a lot of unboxing video of the a7iv and noticed that Sony don't supply the battery charger but only a power brick.
I'm a bit confused, since I always used a battery charger for my Pentax, how does it work with the Sony? You have to charge the battery inside the camera and plug the camera to a usb port of a PC? How long does it take to fully charge this way?
Would you recommend to buy an external battery charger?
Sony is frigging cheap. I cannot understand for the life of me how they think it's acceptable to sell a camera for this price and not include a charger. My battery was 100% DEAD when it came and it took quite a while to come up to full charge. While it was charging I ordered a set of Wasabi batteries and a charger. I couldn't survive with in-camera being the only way to charge.

Gionni

Newcomer
Followers
Following
I bought a dual battery charger with a couple of batteries from Amazon cost was £46 (NP-FZ100 Battery Powerextra 2 Pack Camera Replacement Batteries and Dual LCD Battery Charger Compatible with Sony A9 A9R A9S, Alpha9 9R 9S, sony a7iii battery A7RIII A7R3 Digital Camera), I have used them a couple of times and all is good, They recharge the Sony battery in about 2.5 hrs.

My wife bought me a Grip for the camera which also had a couple of batteries with it for about £90.

Sony is frigging cheap. I cannot understand for the life of me how they think it's acceptable to sell a camera for this price and not include a charger. My battery was 100% DEAD when it came and it took quite a while to come up to full charge. While it was charging I ordered a set of Wasabi batteries and a charger. I couldn't survive with in-camera being the only way to charge.

Thanks for your response! It's indeed shameful that Sony don't include a proper charger.

Brownie

Veteran Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Darktable release 3.8.1 Feb 11, 2022 adds full support for A7 IV, Tamron 17-28, and Tamron 28-200.