Followers
Following
Name
Dr. John A. Allocca
Country
United States
City/State
Northport, NY
Right now, I'm carrying the Sony A1 with the Sony 70-300 mm lens for wildlife. I'm also carrying the Sony A7C with a Sony 24 mm prime lens for landscape photography. I don't like to change lenses in the field, especially when it is windy.

I'm debating whether or not the A7C is good for landscape photography since it only has a 24 mp sensor or sell it and get the A7RIV for landscape photography. Eighty to ninety percent of my shooting is wildlife when they cooperate.

John

Good morning DrJohn. So if you were to use the A7C for landscape photography, you would lose some "Cropability" (Is that a word, No) but you could solve that by getting a little closer. Are you doing a lot of cropping of Landscape photos that you take with the A1?

TRIVIA: Are you familiar with Mark Galer? If not you probably should be, IMO. Anyway, Marks personal camera of choice is the A1. He is a Pro photographer and does every type of of what I would call Mainstream photography. He is a Sony Digital Imaging Ambassador and tests every camera that they release and has been doing so for around 10 years. When Sony announces a new camera, they provide him (and other notable photographers) a pre-production camera to test and then the test camera is sent back to Sony. When Mark or the other testers want to own a particular camera, they have to buy it themselves. Mark bought his A1 and his backup camera of choice is an A7C. Here is the link to his A7C Album. It contains over 250 images that you can evaluate and below each image you can see what lens was used to capture that image. Dedpending on the monitor you own, you can click on each image on Flickr and zoom in to see more detail. Have a nice browsing session. Let us know what you think.

Thanks Jeff. I looked at the photos and they are very nice. My photos are also nice with the A7C. My problem is I'm always looking to do the absolute best I can do. Maybe megapixels are over rated.

Attached is the most recent photo I took with the A7C unprocessed. File size reduced for the web.

John
154-Sunken-Meadow-10-27-22-04.jpg
  • ILCE-7C
  • FE 24mm F2.8 G
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 200

Thanks Jeff. I looked at the photos and they are very nice. My photos are also nice with the A7C. My problem is I'm always looking to do the absolute best I can do. Maybe megapixels are over rated.

Attached is the most recent photo I took with the A7C unprocessed. File size reduced for the web.

JohnView attachment 26967
You know, it is not necessary to reduce your photos here.

Megapixels are definitely overrated, in how most people conceive it anyway. I didn't crop a single image before I started shooting wildlife so if I was personally using 24mp for landscape only, therefore uncropped, that would be tonnes! I've got a few lovely shots of baby birds and what not which ended up cropping down to 4-7mp, I can put them on my 60" 4K TV in the lounge room and they still look fine, admittedly not perfect but unless you are a photographer you would not even think otherwise.

I think a 24mp image is tonnes. It's been the megapixel standard for a few years for good reason. I was watching a video of a girl explaining how as a landscape photographer she has no desire in 2022 to update her D750, and as her images kept coming up on the screen I had to agree with her wholeheartedly. I didn't see any issues there... 🙂

Back