Sony A7R V Announcement Oct 26th

I think it makes sense. They can take advantage of a lot more memory and processor power doing the actually stacking in the PC / Mac.

I think Mike Fewster, to name just one, will be delighted to be able to capture the images for the focus stack.
No idea who Mike Fewster is. But I'm not sure this would belabor the processor that much, and once stacked it would be irrelevant. Others are doing it.

It seems a beast. Waiting for the price in Hong Kong and maybe reconsidering an upgrade to this instead of the A74. The articulated screen is a wow; it combines the two systems. I hate the side-screen trend.
Absolutely. As much as I was hoping for a bit more in the announcement, the new camera is the only way to go if upgrading. In for a penny, in for a pound!

I am just starting to look at this (have to get ready for work so more tonight). But I watched the first couple minutes of the DP Review TV and he says it has an improved EVF (their best ever). This would be the top selling point to me, as someone who still uses (and loves) DSLR primarily.

From what brief bit I saw it seems to be the same body as the A74 (what I currently own). Can anyone confirm this? And if so will it accept the same battery grip (which I also own)?

According to the announcement on SonyAlphaRumors, it won't begin shipping until December.
However, acccording to the written review from DP Review it will be available starting late October?

I'm really not blown away by the spec. Certainly not the leap I expected.

This is a beast of a camera, just glancing through all the announced features. I know Brownie is yawning in the back there, but I'm impressed 😅
Do you think this camera will steal some of the A1's potential sales?
Great camera sony really irons out a lot of issues with the a7r4 and the A1 ,the deep learning looks good the ibis is now up with the best ,it has the best evf and rear screen now with 4 way tilt and flip best of both ,focus stacking superb much needed ,wow even insect tracking ,still at the end of day no better iq than a a1 or a7r4 or a7r3 ,and the same slow 10fps compressed or 7fps lossless and the video looks unispiring from my perspective using a a1 ,do i wait for the sony a1 mk2 or get this a7r5 ,sure if i was looking for a new camera it would be high on my list ,hope some this trickles into the A1 perhaps not the train or plane ai but insect would be useful and animal & bird combined ,in fact the A1 could use some tracking for video other than human .

I am just starting to look at this (have to get ready for work so more tonight). But I watched the first couple minutes of the DP Review TV and he says it has an improved EVF (their best ever). This would be the top selling point to me, as someone who still uses (and loves) DSLR primarily.

From what brief bit I saw it seems to be the same body as the A74 (what I currently own). Can anyone confirm this? And if so will it accept the same battery grip (which I also own)?
Sounds like the same EVF as the A1, and the one in the A1 us very good indeed.

No idea who Mike Fewster is. But I'm not sure this would belabor the processor that much, and once stacked it would be irrelevant. Others are doing it.
He has been wanting to capture the images for a focus stack automatically for a long time. As you can imagine, doing it manually is painful - take shot, adjust focus, tske shot, over and over.

Once the images are taken, stacking them is done in the computer, selecting the best focussed parts of each part of the stack - I think that’s the part that consumes time, memory, and processing power (300 images x 60 megapixels x 3 channels x 2 bytes per channel is 10.8GB of data to process, not counting working storage and the final image). He had no trouble with stacking them in post, but capturing the images is tedious and easily automated. I can see his point.

The cameras which do it in-camera - how many images do they stack? I can imagine they’d have to limit the count to keep it manageable,

However, acccording to the written review from DP Review it will be available starting late October?
Yes, their “preview review” does say “available from late October”, but it’s already late October. Maybe they mean late October 2023?

Sony Hong kong is already showing HKD29,490 , That's almost 2 times the price of a Sony A7IV :eek: , when the A7Riv is almost the same price as the A7iv.

I spotted this. I think they meant late November, I've never known a camera to ship so soon in the US after the announcement. The press release for Europe says mid November and for some reason new Sony cameras normally ship a couple of weeks here before they do in the US.

I've put together a blog article on most of the key differences between the new a7R V and the a7R IV. Please do let me know if I've missed anything as it was rather late last night when I put this together. Thanks! :)

Sony Hong kong is already showing HKD29,490 , That's almost 2 times the price of a Sony A7IV :eek: , when the A7Riv is almost the same price as the A7iv.
That's an odd pricing structure. Here it's $2500, $3500, and now $3900, for the M4, RM4, and RM5 respectively. The RM4 has been on sale for a few weeks now at $3000. I'm guessing it'll be the new regular price here shortly, or somewhere around there. Maybe $3200, which puts it equidistant between the other two.

As I already mentioned, a key feature for me would be the improved 9plus million dot EVF. Interstingly (and I imagine not coincidentally), CanonRumors reports a possible Canon R5mkII with same EVF specs next spring and NikonRumors reports a possible Nikon Z8 with same EVF specs next spring. Competition is good.

I've pretty much decided that this camera isn't for me. The MP is too high and it's no faster than my M4, with which I've finally run up against the speed wall. Where it was fast enough before, a couple of recent outings have made me rethink. I would still like the speed of an A9 with a bit more MP. The A1 is the closest right now, but still more MP than I want to deal with. Still hoping the much-anticipated A9 has all of these new features and a middle of the road MP count.

I've pretty much decided that this camera isn't for me. The MP is too high and it's no faster than my M4, with which I've finally run up against the speed wall. Where it was fast enough before, a couple of recent outings have made me rethink. I would still like the speed of an A9 with a bit more MP. The A1 is the closest right now, but still more MP than I want to deal with. Still hoping the much-anticipated A9 has all of these new features and a middle of the road MP count.
That sounds clearly thought out.

Not sure when the next A9 might be announced, but sounds like it might suit you better. No guarantee that it will have more pixels, though.

I'll be interested to see what parts of the A7RV's functioning are faster - with the new processor some things should be faster, like the AF. It will be the first with the new AF, but we can expect to see it in future models.

I don't have any problem with the AF speed on my A7IV, it's very fast even using the old A-Mount screw drive lenses. The only issue I've run into is the burst rate. If I could get 10 instead of 6 using RAW or Lossless RAW it'd be better. A stacked sensor would've resolved that, but I reckon they're saving them for the 9III and 1II. It's still plenty for the reason it was purchased, but I would've liked to have a few more frames/second for my grandson's karate tournament, for example.

Doesn't the A7iv give you 10 fps using lossy compressed raw?

Doesn't the A7iv give you 10 fps using lossy compressed raw?
Yes, but I have no desire to shoot in any lossy mode. It took me almost a year to consider lossless compressed.

Back