Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
The Sony a7R V has finally been announced so now we can all go back to sleep :)

Here are the confirmed key specifications:
  • 61MP BSI CMOS sensor
  • Improved AF with subject recognition
  • In-body stabilization rated at up to 8.0EV
  • Continuous shooting at up to 10fps with flash (JPEG or Lossy compressed Raw)
  • 8K/24p or 4K/60p video (both with 1.24x crop)
  • Full-width 4K up to 30p
  • 10-bit 4:2:2 video options, including S-Log3, S-Cinetone and HLG
  • Fully-articulated rear screen on tilt-out cradle
  • Focus bracketing mode (with stacking via computer)
  • Multi-shot pixel shift high res mode with motion compensation (via computer)
  • 2 x 2 MIMO Wi-Fi
  • UVC/UAC USB-standard video for use as webcam
The a7R V will cost you $3,898.00 in the US, £3,999.00 in the UK and €4,500 in Europe.

Preorders have already started in the UK and Europe and will start at 10am ET, Thu Oct 27 in the US.

B&H Photo already has a pre-order page (affiliate link) up.

You'll find further details and early reviews from the usual crowd over in the blog post here:

Are you tempted by this camera from what you have seen so far? Or were you hoping for some more megapixels?

Last edited:
Although the A7RV sensor will have same 61MP size as current A7RIVa, it will not be the same sensor according to the most recent post on SonyAlphaRumors: https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/rum...ensor-with-more-light-gathering-capabilities/
I'd be surprised if they put the exact same sensor in. To put a sensor from a 3-year-old camera into their latest and greatest would be risky. They may have gotten away with it between the RII and RIII, but that was before there was so much mirrorless competition.

First LEAKED Sony A7rV image!​

SonyA7rV-image700px.jpg

This is the first image I can publish from the Sony A7rV that will be announced on October 26. All we can learn from this image are:

1. The image posted by other websites showing a dial on the top left are fake…I keep telling you this for weeks now :)
  2. The 4K and Steady Shot mark that was on top of the A7rIV is gone
  3. The only major thing we learn from the image is that it uses a fully articulating screen. You can see on the very left the mount point of the screen.

On yesterday's post, SonyAlphaRumors says 95% chance it's a new BSI sensor. On today's post he says 50% chance it's a new BSI sensor. I guess that's why it's called SonyRumors and not SonyFacts!

I know what I see is what I would like to get but as with a few things in life I am sure it will be over my budget.
So this will make the previous model more to my budget once this one comes out.
But if I had the money I would have it on the to buy list. As it is on my wanted list for now.

On yesterday's post, SonyAlphaRumors says 95% chance it's a new BSI sensor. On today's post he says 50% chance it's a new BSI sensor. I guess that's why it's called SonyRumors and not SonyFacts!
After going down to 50% chance on yesterday's post, today he is back up to 95% chance LOL!

Priced at £3999 so a price increase ,to be expected i guess ,some nice incremental upgrades ,the biggest being 8k video but not sure their is much allure to that for me ,auto focus improvements are nice and bigger buffer ,the 8 stops ibis is this going to be using catalyst or a actual real 8 stops,to me it looks like a a7r4s than a complete upgrade ,but those coming into sony full frame will have a hard time discounting this camera. but mostly video features improved so not much in it for me ,pixel shift unless processed in camera is going to be another mute point but at least some improvement here .

• Admin
Priced at £3999 so a price increase ,to be expected i guess ,some nice incremental upgrades ,the biggest being 8k video but not sure their is much allure to that for me ,auto focus improvements are nice and bigger buffer ,the 8 stops ibis is this going to be using catalyst or a actual real 8 stops,to me it looks like a a7r4s than a complete upgrade ,but those coming into sony full frame will have a hard time discounting this camera. but mostly video features improved so not much in it for me ,pixel shift unless processed in camera is going to be another mute point but at least some improvement here .
About a £500 price increase over the a7R IV launch price, definitely a good bump if it's accurate.

If that follows suit, it'll be $4100 here.
I'm going to guess $3998 :) That's an extra $500 on top of the current a7R IVA price when it's not discounted. $4k is a pretty large psychological barrier as well, I'd imagine they would prefer to stay just below this figure but I could be wrong.

I'm really not blown away by the spec. Certainly not the leap I expected.

Was trying to do it based on this:

A source told me the Sony A7rV UK price info: It’s £3999.

Just for comparison: the A7IV is priced at £2,399 in the UK, $2,498 in the US and 2.799,00 € in Europe. So the initial rumor of the A7rV being priced around $3,899-3,999 seems to be spot on. In Europe I fear, the price might be above 4000€!

If the M4 is £2399 in the Uk and $2499 here, and the MRV is £3999 UK, then using the same difference it'd be around $4100 here. But I agree that $4k barrier is an ugly one to cross! Maybe the £3800 and $3900 is more likely.

After going down to 50% chance on yesterday's post, today he is back up to 95% chance LOL!
It changes every day. 95% one day, 50% next day, back up to 95% yesterday, and now 70% today! Are they just making up percentages to for the sake of variety LOL?

I wonder if we will also see the new 1.4x and 2x teleconverters today that were rumored to be announced last month?

It changes every day. 95% one day, 50% next day, back up to 95% yesterday, and now 70% today! Are they just making up percentages to for the sake of variety LOL?
Down to 30%! And now speculating it's the same sensor.

If I were in the market for a new camera that'd be a deal killer. Hopefully they're wrong.

Unfortunately, I have a meeting at 10:00, so will be unable to watch the announcement.

Interestingly, re: sensor. It looks like OMD finally released the new OM-5, and in a similar fashion has the exact same sensor as the old EM-5MkIII.

Maybe this is the new thing? Possibly related to supply chain and COVID? Didn't Sony do the same thing with the A7R2 and A7R3 sensor?

I will be waiting for the A9M3, and hoping they bump the sensor on it since they've already issued versions with the same sensor.

$3,900 on the BH site with one feature that has me hoping that the expected big firmware update to the A1 in Spring will have.
  • In-camera Focus Bracketing is possible, with the ability to record up to 299 frames with sequentially shifted focus points for creating composite images during post-production with greater-than-possible depth of field.
The four axis LCD is a nice surprise too. :)

$3,900 on the BH site with one feature that has me hoping that the expected big firmware update to the A1 in Spring will have.

"with sequentially shifted focus points for creating composite images during post-production"

So, no in-camera focus stacking? That's pretty disappointing.

Dear Sony,

It's 2022.

Love,
You Customers.

I've never seen such a screen until now.... and I'll never see it in the cameras in my budget either 🤣

This is a beast of a camera, just glancing through all the announced features. I know Brownie is yawning in the back there, but I'm impressed 😅
Do you think this camera will steal some of the A1's potential sales?
It's a great camera, the question is whether it's a worthy upgrade. I just got one watching the release video, and while it has many cool features it looks to me like the new AI Focus is the biggest plus. It's a shame to see them use the same sensor, although in watching their comparisons between it at the RIV there does seem to be improvements in IQ, especially fine detail. Some of the basic features that one expected are missing, one being in-camera focus stacking. Not including that is silly, IMO. Worse yet if it depends on some proprietary program to stack in post.

Will it steal some A1 sales? Probably. If I were looking there'd be a lot of research between the two before I bought either. It'll be interesting to see reviews.
I've never seen such a screen until now.... and I'll never see it in the cameras in my budget either 🤣
Someone else had done this before, although I can't recall who. Doesn't seem like one of the big three, maybe Fuji or Pentax? It's one new feature I'm glad to see.

"with sequentially shifted focus points for creating composite images during post-production"

So, no in-camera focus stacking? That's pretty disappointing.

Dear Sony,

It's 2022.

Love,
You Customers.

I think it makes sense. They can take advantage of a lot more memory and processor power doing the actually stacking in the PC / Mac.

I think Mike Fewster, to name just one, will be delighted to be able to capture the images for the focus stack.

I have to say that I'm delighted to see that I can do waist-level shooting without a flippy screen in the way. I was dreading that, and they anticipated my dread ;)

I've asked my local dealer to inscribe my name on the pre-order list.

It was worth getting up in the middle of the night (announcement was 1am here) to learn about it.

Oh, and it thoroughly amused me that Sony's real answer to the Canon R5 is the Sony A7 R5 - that's not a coincidence, right?

How much pre-planning must that have taken? Carefully releasing the A7R4 well before Canon announced the R5 so the seeming natural progression to the A7 R5 was set up, lining up the features so the A7 R5 tops the R5 line by line - this must have involved precognition at the highest level.

Some of the basic features that one expected are missing, one being in-camera focus stacking.
It mentions this on Sony's website: "The camera will automatically shoot up to 299 images with sequentially shifted focus points, with custom intervals and sequence specified by the user. Pick the perfect shot, or post-process multiple shots to achieve creative composites with impossible focus depth." Sounds like you might still need to post-process though.

Someone else had done this before, although I can't recall who. Doesn't seem like one of the big three, maybe Fuji or Pentax? It's one new feature I'm glad to see.

Panasonic - cannot remember which one.

It seems a beast. Waiting for the price in Hong Kong and maybe reconsidering an upgrade to this instead of the A74. The articulated screen is a wow; it combines the two systems. I hate the side-screen trend.

According to the announcement on SonyAlphaRumors, it won't begin shipping until December.

Back