Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Sony has announced three new wide-angle lenses for APS-C cameras. The E PZ 10-20MM F4 G, E 15MM F1.4 G and E 11MM F1.8.

All lenses are expected to be available in July.

Pre-orders start tomorrow in the US and today in Europe.

Further details and a collection of early reviews can be found in the blog article.

Pretty cool news.
If anyone noticed, none of these lenses come with OSS, and they are demonstrated in Sony's press release videos on ZVE10, A6600, and A7IV cameras. very interesting.

You don't need stabilization for those FL's, they all very short. Going by the rule of thumb the fastest shutter you'd need @ISO 100 is 1/30th on APS-C. All of those will work perfectly fine using IBIS and slower shutters.

You don't need stabilization for those FL's, they all very short. Going by the rule of thumb the fastest shutter you'd need @ISO 100 is 1/30th on APS-C. All of those will work perfectly fine using IBIS and slower shutters.
Ah my friend, you're only thinking about Photos, but yes I agree with your assessment.
For video though, you'll want some sort of stabilization. It seems SONY thought about this too, because that 10-20mm is an internal zoom, and all 3 wide lenses are light enough to work well on most Gimbals.

Last edited:
Ah my friend, you're only thinking about Photos, but yes I agree with your assessment.
For video though, you'll want some sort of stabilization. It seems SONY thought about this too, because that 11-20mm is an internal zoom, and all 3 wide lenses are light enough to work well on most Gimbals.
They're still wide angle lenses, which show far less movement/shake than narrower FLs in video or stills. On something that short the newer generations of IBIS should be plenty. I think they simply decided to leave it up to the camera. This is pretty common. I recall people whining about the PL 8-18 not having any stabilization which seems like a shortcoming for a $900 lens, but it works perfectly fine for any application. My well-loved 17-28 has no OSS.

I have now seen almost every youtube review of these lenses. In MY case, the want is strong, but the need is weak.
  • The 10-20mm looks pretty good, but I already have the 10-18 and it has OSS, for whatever that's worth. Would change to this lens if/when next APSC body comes out with better stabilization.
    Bonus reason for holding onto the 10-18? If I ever went full frame, this lens works on a full frame at the 12mm mark sans vignette.
  • The 15mm looks amazing, but wow, pricey! I already have the Sigma 16, and comparing the two: neither have OSS, both have a maximum aperture of 1.4. I can't use the Sigma on my gimbal due to its weight, but I think I'll keep it for a while.
  • The 11mm is what the Sony APSC Lineup has needed for over 2 years now. Wide and bright, its only competition was the Rokinon 12mm f2, but the Sony is better. I also like that the 11mm doesn't go overboard with features like the 15mm, so the cost was kept lower. This lens will be good for vlogs, landscapes, and the rare milkyway/astro shots. I better start making offerings and dropping hints to Santa Claus from now...

Last edited:
Back