Sony FE 50mm F1.2 G Master Announced

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
This lens is a pleasure to use. I love the results I am getting. But it will be going to waste paired with bodies capable of max shutter speed of 1/8000 or less. For low light events I probably will prefer to use it with my 7M3 instead because of its superior high iso performance (if shutter noise is tolerable there ...) FAL-5y-A1_15529-Archive.jpg

Antonio Correia

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Mar 10, 2021
Name
Antonio Correia
What a cute little girl ! :)
And what a fantastic lens, Afonso !
Are you keeping it or not ?
Have a nice week-end
Cheers ! (y)

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
What a cute little girl ! :)
And what a fantastic lens, Afonso !
Are you keeping it or not ?
Have a nice week-end
Cheers ! (y)
Absolutely keeping both (the little girl and the lens) :)

Last edited:

Paul stuart

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 29, 2020
i will stick with my sigma art f1.4 and wait for the updated version ,as good as the sony is in real world applications the difference will not be obvious ,i do not need need f1.2 or super fast af motors on a 50mm ,and the old sigma beats it at sharpness by f5.6 which is useful for landscape applications.

AlphaWorld

Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I was surprised to see them in my local dealer on 1 May after that Shipping Delay message, but there they were. Tried out the lens they had for demo, and bought one.

It’s a good lens, with what little time I have had to try it out.

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Now that some kids attractions have reopened I had my first chance to use it in poorly lit indoors with some moderately fast action involved.
It performed flawlessly, AF kept up with all the action, could not find any frames out of focus, only blurred ones due to too slow shutter speed

FAL-5y-A1_25391-Archive_m.jpg

A1_25385-Web.jpg

A1_25397-4K.jpg

A1_25711-Archive_m.jpg

Reactions: liggy

Antonio Correia

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Mar 10, 2021
Name
Antonio Correia
Excellent lens indeed !
However, to be honest I don't like the second one.
Sorry ! ;)

Last edited:

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Excellent lens indeed !
However, o be honest I don't like the second one.
Sorry ! ;)
I included it not for aesthetic purposes but to illustrate how the A1/50GM combo could cope with challenging backlight situations mixed with action that intermittently blocks the light source.

Reciprocum

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Jan 9, 2021
Name
Afonso Santos
Country
Portugal
Another day, another action AF test (aced by the A1/50GM combo).

Wide open f1.2 (shallow DOF), bright sunny day (ss 1/16.000), moving subject at faster than walking pace. Every single one of the ~40 frames (4s long at 10fps e-Shutter) had the eyes in focus.

Would not even try this test with my Sigma 85mm DG DN (more than half would be out of focus), 7M3 would have forced me into iso50 because cannot do more than 1/8.000, 7Mc would force to stop down or use ND filters)

Amazing camera, amazing glass. Money well spent.

A1_32107-Archive_waterMarked_m.jpg

AlphaWorld

Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
Another day, another action AF test (aced by the A1/50GM combo).

Wide open f1.2 (shallow DOF), bright sunny day (ss 1/16.000), moving subject at faster than walking pace. Every single one of the ~40 frames (4s long at 10fps e-Shutter) had the eyes in focus.

Would not even try this test with my Sigma 85mm DG DN (more than half would be out of focus), 7M3 would have forced me into iso50 because cannot do more than 1/8.000, 7Mc would force to stop down or use ND filters)

Amazing camera, amazing glass. Money well spent.

View attachment 10595

Brilliant photo, although I see she doesn’t get her own A1… Still, it is a pretty pink camera, and probably a bit lighter than an A1 + 50 GM :sneaky:

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.